CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
Aaron Heredia

Profile:
Cleans form check please! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1v23Sk0GPY

Hello, looking form some advice/critiques on my cleans. I'm relatively new to CrossFit and Oly lifts but have been lifting for a few years and maybe 4 months ago I discovered and fell in love with CrossFit, anyway, really trying to get better at cleans/clean and jerk and snatches. Any advice would be well appreciated, the weight is 135lbs and I'm about 6' 3" and 178. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Joey Burr

Profile:
Re: Cleans form check please! :)

Aaron,
Good job on finding Crossfit and giving it a go... you won't be disappointed with it haha.

As for your Clean, from the angle that you have it at I can give the following advice:
- Drop your hips a tad bit before your first pull.
- You seem to be pulling with your arms before you transition to the second phase. You have a nice triple extension however.
- You are catching the weight pretty high, try to catch it lower... remember you only have to pull the bar up to your navel and then drop fast under it. You are catching it in a power position instead of a squat position.

Next time add a side video too! Oly lifts are hard to judge from the front view.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
Aaron Heredia

Profile:

Thanks! I realized after I took the video that a side angle would have been beneficial but I was pretty burnt after those two sets, I had done a few already at lighter weights as well as a decent amount of front squats. Thanks tho for the advice that all makes sense and hopefully sooner than later I'll get a side view on here as well with some improvements!
Old 01-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #4
Richard Colon

Profile:

At the start, try a few things.

At the bottom, before you pull from the ground, drop your butt lower. Try and maintain that back angle as you begin standing up. When your butt is too high from the start or you don't maintain that back angle as you stand, then you raise the hips too early and take your legs out of the lift.

At the bottom, your shoulders are hunched (pause it at 1:03 in your video). After setting up and grabbing the bar, try and make your chest big. For me at least, this helps me to activate my lats and keeps the bar close to me when I'm starting to pull.

The biggest issue I see which can work wonders if you improve just that is how early you pull with your arms. Use your arms as levers. I cannot say whether the arms turned sideways is how it should be done, but it helps when you have problems with pulling with the arms to early, so try this. At the bottom (set-up), while your hands are already set, rotate your elbows so they face outward (away from you). It makes it harder to bend your arms that way.

Go to your video and pause it at 1:04 (it happens fast so catch it just as it hits 1:04, while you are facing ahead, starting to stand up). See how your arms are already bent yet you haven't even come close to standing up all the way? Thats not good. Also, as was said, you didn't drop fast enough. Looking at your 2nd lift again (its still technically at the 1:04), but look towards the end of the lift. You're arms are entirely bent, as your forearms are even parallel to the floor (pause it at that point). You are still trying to stand up but the momentum of the bar moving upwards is long over. Watch the video below and pause it around the :28 second mark. Notice how the explosion of the legs gets the bar moving upward, then arms then just help to pull him UNDER the bar - quickly.

Now check out this video (WFS)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5NRZj21RdA

It is slo-mo so you can take your time through it. Pause that video at :27. See the difference of his arms yet look how extended/tall/standing up he is..

It may do wonders for you just to keep looking at the video since its slow mo and using the pause and slide technique. Just step by step your way through it. Video your own cleans and compare.

Nice stuff. hope it helps!

Last edited by Richard Colon : 01-04-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
Richard Colon

Profile:

For an example of dropping under the bar quickly, I give you a video of the legend. Just check it out and you'll see exactly what we mean by you catching the bar too high and waiting too long before you get under it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8cNX0c3YqQ
Old 01-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Nicholas Scarabosio

Profile:

I think everyone did a really good job above and those are great points. The only other thing I would recommend is the 'HOOK GRIP'. Even at this light a weight it is a great time to start working your hook grip and getting used to it.

It is always good to start the habit early rather than getting used to something and breaking it down the line!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Aaron Heredia

Profile:

Yeah thanks to everyone I really feel like I know exactly what I need to work on now! And yes i will reluctantly start working on hook grip, I had been avoiding it but I agree it will only help in the long run and better to start now. Thanks again!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
Neil Kanterman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Scarabosio View Post
I think everyone did a really good job above and those are great points. The only other thing I would recommend is the 'HOOK GRIP'. Even at this light a weight it is a great time to start working your hook grip and getting used to it.

It is always good to start the habit early rather than getting used to something and breaking it down the line!
I can't agree with this more. I have been neglecting the hook, mostly because at the weights I had been lifting I didn't need it to hold onto the bar. Well this week we did a workout with a number of 135lb hang power snatches. At that weight the hook was mandatory and I used it, but my hands were definitely not prepared for it and I paid the price with some tears inside my thumbs and the base of my pinkies.