CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-02-2012, 02:26 AM   #1
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Posterior Knee Pain

I've been having some strange pain on the posterior aspect of my left knee. It's been a gradual onset over a few months now. Originally it didn't bother me at all, felt it only if I went into the piriformis stretch with weird alignment. It kind of felt like a generalized knee compression. Now I feel it when I merely sit indian style on the ground.

Feels like a dull ache at 2-4/10 pain scale when my knee is flexed and externally rotated. Nothing I can't handle, but when I extend my knee and put weight on it after having it flexed and externally rotated, the posterior aspect feels very stiff and slightly weak. With movement it returns to normal/painless in a minute to five minutes. I'm having some difficulty identifying specifically where the pain is. It certainly feels like it's coming from the posterior side, not deep in the knee. There has been no swelling as far as I can tell, nor discoloration. My performance hasn't suffered at all either. Just today I did a ME squat workout with GHRs and had no problem with either. I also am stretching as normal with no noticeable extra tightness in my hamstrings.

I also have a clicking sound that my knee makes when I fully flex my knee rapidly from a standing, like a bodyweight single leg hamstring curl. It's painless and I'm pretty certain I've had it for at least a year. It used to click only the first one or two times that I rapidly flexed my knee and then it would stop; now it seems to click every time I rapidly flex my knee. I can't tell what part of my knee it's coming from, and it only ever clicks with the rapid knee flexion, nothing else. I'm not sure if this is related to the knee pain but I figured I'd add it in.

One last thing, I was diagnosed with piriformis syndrome by my chiro in may or june, and since then had been pretty religiously doing the piriformis stretch on a bench or lying prone. It could be related since I only started feeling the pain after a few weeks or months of doing this stretch.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Posterior Knee Pain

Target your popliteus muscle for soft tissue work aimed at loosening it up.

Same with the gastroc muscle.

Popliteus may have some insertion on the lateral meniscus which, if there's some dysfunction there, can have some clicking. So normalizing that function there should help eliminate clicking possibly as well.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Re: Posterior Knee Pain

Thanks a lot, Steven! I'll report back and let you know how it worked.