CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Robert Walsh

Profile:
Pain in front of Hip

OK - so I'm having a problem here. My left hip flexor is making it impossible to do any sort of squatting movement. Can't pinpoint exactly when it started but it was after I started doing WODs at the local gym. Up until then I had just been lifting at a globo and, after months and months, finally getting my form dialed in on all the major lifts.

This leads me to believe it may be some sort of over-use issue from starting to do too much, too fast. At the same time, I started to experience pain in my elbow (tendonitis), which after much icing, couple days of rest, and massage seems to have rectified itself.

I've been icing the hip, massaging the crap out of it, stretching it, etc. It just doesn't seem to want to cooperate. I've done self-massage up and down-stream and everything seems OK (except for a major trigger point in my LEFT calf -- which I have been making progress on).

Any feedback would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Pain in front of Hip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walsh View Post
OK - so I'm having a problem here. My left hip flexor is making it impossible to do any sort of squatting movement. Can't pinpoint exactly when it started but it was after I started doing WODs at the local gym. Up until then I had just been lifting at a globo and, after months and months, finally getting my form dialed in on all the major lifts.

This leads me to believe it may be some sort of over-use issue from starting to do too much, too fast. At the same time, I started to experience pain in my elbow (tendonitis), which after much icing, couple days of rest, and massage seems to have rectified itself.

I've been icing the hip, massaging the crap out of it, stretching it, etc. It just doesn't seem to want to cooperate. I've done self-massage up and down-stream and everything seems OK (except for a major trigger point in my LEFT calf -- which I have been making progress on).

Any feedback would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks.
A pretty good rule to follow is if you've done what you've been doing for 7-10 days, and you don't note improvement, it's likely that you're looking in the wrong area.
Working on the TP in the calf is a start. As would be determining if the hamstrings are short, and how well the glutes are functioning.
You can stretch, ice, grind away all you want at the area, and do all the mobility you can imagine, but if it's NOT a mobility issue then you will find yourself exactly where you are now.

Although you may have limited mobility of the hip, and that can be part of the problem, not THE problem. If mobility is good, I would look at glute and core activation as a more likely culprit.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
Robert Walsh

Profile:

Thanks for your time, Brian. Seems maybe you've hit the nail on the head, here. If you don't mind I have a couple questions regarding hamstring lengthening and gluteal activation.

I wasn't, until recently, really making an effort to mobilize the hamstrings. I have started using a lacrosse ball while sitting on a wooden chair -- much easier to hit this way I've found. Do you have any other ideas here? (typical band stretches (lying on the back with hamstring perpendicular) never seemed to do much)

Also, I have struggled with glute activation even though I have researched it ad nauseum.

BTW, I started this journey into mobility because of back pain after squats and deadlifts -- which, as far as I can tell, was a result of poor glute activation, weak abs, and now, short hamstrings.
Thanks.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

This may help

wfs
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...the_glute_myth
Old 12-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
Brian Strump

Profile:

Thanks Steve! Brett has alot of great stuff on the glutes, and training in general.

As for the issue at hand; a good way to rule out that problem being short, tight hamstrings is;
1. standing, flex forward and note how far you go.
2. sitting on the floor, flex forward and note if you went further or the same distance.
3. standing, first "tighten" core, drive your abs downward, then flex forward. Note any differences in flexibility vs when you just stand and flex forward.

Do you have greater ROM when sitting vs. standing? Greater ROM when contracting your core first before flexing forward. If you answer yes to any of those, your hamstrings are not the issue.

Regardless of that, those exercises in the article in T-Nation are all great, and can/should be done as warm up, especially on a day of squats and/or deadlifting.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
Robert Walsh

Profile:

Thanks for the replies!

Spent a couple hours this afternoon digging in my hamstrings and found some really tight spots. Also -- I tend to have excessive anterior pelvic tilt and find that massaging hamstrings and "activating" my glutes puts things in better alignment. I did tests and found that my ROM is almost equal for each one.

FWIW, the hip-capsule stretch (flexion + external rotation, while trying to push the femur through my glute) seems to help.

After this, I went to the gym, and after a good warm up, my hip seemed to be ALOT better.

Again, thanks for your time guys -- really appreciate it! If anyone else has feedback or has experienced this type of pain please post.