CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #11
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:
Re: Shoulder pain/thoracic mobility issues on LBBS

Lots of help available on mobilitywod.com. Just make sure whatever you do doesn't cause pain. Search for some of the terms above (thoracic, pec minor, etc.) on the site for some in depth discussion of techniques for mobilization.

Here are some good ones:
http://www.mobilitywod.com/?s=shoulder+tweak
http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/03/e...oulder-eh.html

Also for now, don't bother back squatting if it gives you pain. See here:
http://www.ericcressey.com/newsletter144html

One solution is to front squat, with straps around bar if need be (to lower the demand on the shoulders):
http://www.thefitnessreview.net/wp-c...quatstraps.jpg

links wfs
Old 12-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #12
Michael Ko

Profile:

have a PT/chiropractor take a look at your CT junction (assuming they know how to properly treat that area). i've been having really good luck helping people with shoulder pain by treating that area first. im also coming to that conclusion because it sounds like you have been trying to treat the shoulder without any improvement.

if you can't seek professional treatment, then i say use starrett's 2 minute drill using the lacrosse ball for T/S and rib dysfunction. focus on the upper thoracic spine.

other thing i can think of is your shoulder joint isnt set centrally and most likely anterior, putting a ton of pressure to your biceps tendon/anterior delt/subscapularis tendon.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
With regards to the deltoids and humeral position, Alex was feeling shoulder pain in the Back Squat. Nothing was said with regards to how the deltoids affect posture or humeral position.

With regards to stretching the pecs, I did mention a stretch for the pec minor, which can also stretch the pec major some. I seemed to have forgotten to mention the pec major, but with the ant. delt and pec minor stretches already mentioned, I wouldn't be too concerned about the lack of having a direct pec major stretch.

And I'd like to know why you think there may be posterior capsule tightness?
I'm a Massage Therapy student, and I've been working on a Case Study with someone who has shoulder problems (adhesive capsulitis-like symptoms).

What do you think of what Mike Reinold says about the sleeper stretch (all WFS)?

http://www.mikereinold.com/2011/07/w...r-stretch.html

http://www.mikereinold.com/2011/07/t...r-stretch.html

http://www.mikereinold.com/2011/07/a...rk-better.html
It all has to do with joint mechanics. In the position of a back squat, the should is in a position of extension, external rotation, and horizontal abduction. Each of those movements leads to anterior gliding of the humerus on the glenoid. However, many people are tight in their posterior capsule (I've seen it, I test it - it happens quite frequently). Because of this, their joint isn't in the right position to glide anteriorly since they're already sitting anterior on their glenoid. With the back squat position, the shoulder still wants to move the same amount, even if it's sitting anteriorly and thus goes TOO far. This leads to stretching and pain on the anterior structures (anterior capsule, biceps tendon, etc).

The reason why I don't suggest the deltoid is that it has very little effect on the position of the humerus. Everything I've said until now has been to alleviate the poor position of the shoulder. He likely wouldn't have pain in that position if his shoulder was properly aligned. The anterior deltoid doesn't really affect the position of the humerus since it's insertion and action is mainly in the frontal plane. It doesn't contribute to an anteriorly displaced humerus. The pec major does and needs to be addressed directly - both heads. The sternal head can be stretched in around 135 degrees of flexion with the arm slowly brought into horizontal abduction. However, the humerus needs to be blocked so, again, it doesn't glide forward so much. The clavicular head needs to be stretched in 90 degrees of flexion with the arm slowly brought into horizontal abduction.

The humeral position is frequently dictated by the posterior capsule tightness. Even if he fixes the muscle length, nothing will address that unless you explicitly have him stretch it. With CFers, I have seen SO many tight posterior capsules that it's pretty much one of the first things I look at. I actually don't know who Mike Reinold is or why he has a problem with it. I agree with his last two points, but I address them by 1) using a band pulling inferiorly to promote an inferior glide of the shoulder, alleviating any type of impingement symptom AND promoting good inferior gliding mechanics and 2) I specifically tell the patient to stretch for a few sets of 30s at a 3-4 out of 10 on the intensity scale. It has worked thus far for me. His first point, however, is broad and not true with what I've seen clinically. Many overhead athletes can still have mobility issues. I've noticed they tend to actually have anterior and inferior laxity (as tested by a clunk test), but their posterior capsule does tend to be tight... but it does depend on the athlete. I don't think it's fair to make such a rash generalization and apply it to all overhead athletes. I treat what I see and posterior capsule tightness is relatively common. When I stretch that and strengthen the rotator cuff and scapular stabilizers, the pain goes away. Clinically, that's all I need to judge it as a positive intervention.

Last edited by Brent Sallee : 12-10-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #14
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Sallee View Post
The pec major does and needs to be addressed directly - both heads. The sternal head can be stretched in around 135 degrees of flexion with the arm slowly brought into horizontal abduction. However, the humerus needs to be blocked so, again, it doesn't glide forward so much.
I really appreciate your input, Brent. How do you recommend blocking the humerus when stretching the pecs? Can this be done alone?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #15
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
I really appreciate your input, Brent. How do you recommend blocking the humerus when stretching the pecs? Can this be done alone?
Doorway stretch works pretty well, modified if necessary to move the proximal head of the humerus to be blocked by the door when stepping through.