CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
Alex Beasley

Profile:
Shoulder pain/thoracic mobility issues on LBBS

As the title says, when doing LBBS I get shoulder pain, mainly in the front of my shoulders (I also get pain when benching, as well as it flaring up when doing something minor, ie the hands-overhead, on the wall lat stretch) and also can feel that my spine isn't supple enough to stay extended all the time, leading to less than brilliant tightness in my upper back.

What would you recommend for combating these two? Thanks
Old 12-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Alex Beasley

Profile:
Re: Shoulder pain/thoracic mobility issues on LBBS

75 views and no input? Surely someone here must have experienced this and improved it for themselves at some point?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
Donald Lee

Profile:

- Stretch your anterior delts. I like to do a version of this stretch (WFS), but I do it standing and put my hands on a bar.

- Stretch your lats. It's hard to explain what I do. Find something that works for you.

- Stretch your pec minor and internal rotators. Try a version of the 'doorway stretch'.

- Foam roll your thoracic spine. I like to hang out for a while at every spot on the thoracic spine that I can. Kelly Starrett has videos where he does this.

- Bring your elbows down and not back. Basically, don't do what Rippetoe advocates. It can cause you to overstretch your anterior delts and cave your thoracic spine. If you want to go back to this elbows back style later and have no pain with it, then go ahead. I'm not a fan of the style, but first and foremost, you basically don't want to do anything that causes pain.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
Alex Beasley

Profile:

Thanks Don, appreciate the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
- Stretch your anterior delts. I like to do a version of this stretch (WFS), but I do it standing and put my hands on a bar.
I think it's a testament to how inflexible I am that this didn't work - I just ended up either getting a slight nag in my biceps or the urge to bend my arms because my elbows were going crazy.

Quote:
- Stretch your lats. It's hard to explain what I do. Find something that works for you.
Thanks, I'll look around and see what one I can do.

Quote:
- Stretch your pec minor and internal rotators. Try a version of the 'doorway stretch'.
Definitely good advice - love the doorway stretch.

Quote:
- Foam roll your thoracic spine. I like to hang out for a while at every spot on the thoracic spine that I can. Kelly Starrett has videos where he does this.
This may sound stupid, but I don't think I know how to even roll my T-Spine. When I first did it it used to be painful and my spine clicked, but these days the roller just doesn't do anything, no matter what - I've tried it with my hips low/hips raised, shoulders pushed forward/shoulders pinched back, arms stretched out/arms wrapped around etc and it just doesn't seem to actually do anything. I've got some tennis balls rolled up in duct tape, and while they hurt, I still don't know if I'm "doing it right."

Youtube vids et al don't really help out very much - you guys got any advice on T-Spine rolling?

Quote:
- Bring your elbows down and not back. Basically, don't do what Rippetoe advocates. It can cause you to overstretch your anterior delts and cave your thoracic spine. If you want to go back to this elbows back style later and have no pain with it, then go ahead. I'm not a fan of the style, but first and foremost, you basically don't want to do anything that causes pain.
Thanks man, and I agree with you completely. Injury is a friend of mine that visits every now and then, I know firsthand how bad pain is and what i can lead to - best to nip it in the bud, eh?

Thanks again mate
Old 12-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Put a 45 lbs plate or two on your chest and extend your spine while foam rolling it.

Also, go from side to side as you move.

If that doesn't work, use a tennis ball to work on those muscles around your scapula instead.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:27 AM   #6
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Why hasn't anybody mentioned pecs yet? The pec minor is very important for scapular position, which can contribute to pain on the front of the shoulder. In addition to this, the pec major is important for humeral head position. If that's tight, it will also lead to pain on the front of the shoulder. This could also be exacerbated by a tight posterior capsule of the shoulder. Do some pec minor, pec major stretches (google them). Also, google sleeper stretch for the posterior capsule stretch. Those should all help.

Also, just to mention, the deltoid doesn't play that big of a role in humeral head position, which would lead to that pain of your's. Spend your time on the pecs and posterior capsule. Report back on how it changes your symptoms - good, bad, nothing, whatever.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #7
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Sallee View Post
Why hasn't anybody mentioned pecs yet? The pec minor is very important for scapular position, which can contribute to pain on the front of the shoulder. In addition to this, the pec major is important for humeral head position. If that's tight, it will also lead to pain on the front of the shoulder. This could also be exacerbated by a tight posterior capsule of the shoulder. Do some pec minor, pec major stretches (google them). Also, google sleeper stretch for the posterior capsule stretch. Those should all help.

Also, just to mention, the deltoid doesn't play that big of a role in humeral head position, which would lead to that pain of your's. Spend your time on the pecs and posterior capsule. Report back on how it changes your symptoms - good, bad, nothing, whatever.
With regards to the deltoids and humeral position, Alex was feeling shoulder pain in the Back Squat. Nothing was said with regards to how the deltoids affect posture or humeral position.

With regards to stretching the pecs, I did mention a stretch for the pec minor, which can also stretch the pec major some. I seemed to have forgotten to mention the pec major, but with the ant. delt and pec minor stretches already mentioned, I wouldn't be too concerned about the lack of having a direct pec major stretch.

And I'd like to know why you think there may be posterior capsule tightness?
I'm a Massage Therapy student, and I've been working on a Case Study with someone who has shoulder problems (adhesive capsulitis-like symptoms).

What do you think of what Mike Reinold says about the sleeper stretch (all WFS)?

http://www.mikereinold.com/2011/07/w...r-stretch.html

http://www.mikereinold.com/2011/07/t...r-stretch.html

http://www.mikereinold.com/2011/07/a...rk-better.html
Old 12-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

I'm more of a fan of the behind the back arm stretch w/ towel to pull it up, and horizontal adduction works fairly well too as I see from the above links.

I don't see anything TOO bad about sleeper stretch (although it does mimic hawkin's kennedy, lol), but it definitely looks to be something to avoid if the shoulder is irritated a lot.

And I like the basketball to roll out the pecs. Works fairly well.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
Alex Beasley

Profile:

While I appreciate the posts, I'm not gonna quote them in this post - I'm in pretty bad pain at the moment and am not in the mood to read/reply them. Sue me.

Squatted today, or should I say I tried to; my shoulders, in particular my left shoulder, were just giving me too much pain to do it today. My shoulders just had this horrible 'dull' pain throughout them (couldn't tell if it was in the front or back - just general shoulder pain) with the bar on my back, even in the high bar position.

Wtf did I do? I've had shoulder injuries from squatting before, but I could have sworn it wasn't this bad. Foam rolling hasn't done any good once more, and I tried the old doorway chest stretch - my chest didn't get stretched, it just caused shoulder pain.

I'm an alien.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Well, if your shoulder is actually in an inflammatory state you will want to back off from stretching and do non-painful mobility work for now.

That may be a better idea considering your current state.