CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #21
Pär Larsson

Profile:
Re: Looking for evidence that kipping pullups do or do not cause shoulder injuries.

Well, Katherine -

HQ and others, myself included (see http://vimeo.com/13351852 SFW) keep putting out media, video esp. of really cool looking people doing really awesome things.

You really can't help but want to be a little like these people. I'd like to be able to do proper butterfly pullups. I'd like to be able to do handstand walks and HSPUs - even though I see very little functional fitness benefits to any of the three.

We put these people on a pedestal, and by doing so when it involves things that are simply a bit out there medically/training-wise, we're setting the CrossFit community up to take a big hit when we're proven wrong. I don't think butterfly pullups or high-repetition (i.e., 100+ straight in a single workout) kipping pullups have been proven medically unsafe - but I think that's where it's headed.

You can't expect affiliate owners and still wet-behind-the-ears trainers like myself to know to stop people from doing butterfly pullups too soon, or too many kipping pullups in a row when they're tired - in things like the Open, or in regular happy-fun competition - when all people see in videos is someone rocking out a set of super-fast 30 butterflies.

Not good situation. Not cool. People are gonna get unnecessarily hurt from taking unnecessary risks. Not healthy. 3 weeks off to deal with an injury is bad, bad news. Kind of like ripping your hands up in the pursuit of one more pullup, but I digress. I *really* digress. SFW
Old 09-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #22
Stephen Flamm

Profile:
Re: Looking for evidence that kipping pullups do or do not cause shoulder injuries.

A balanced, strong shoulder/scap in a trained athlete can handle high-volume kipping of any variety. As a trainer, the key is understanding that most of your clients will not fall into this category. Learning to properly assess and write a prescription for shoulder/scap strength and stability goes a long way toward preventing shoulder (and elbow) injuries...
Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #23
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pär Larsson View Post
You can't expect affiliate owners and still wet-behind-the-ears trainers like myself to know to stop people from doing butterfly pullups too soon, or too many kipping pullups in a row when they're tired - in things like the Open, or in regular happy-fun competition - when all people see in videos is someone rocking out a set of super-fast 30 butterflies.
Why not? If I'm paying $150-$200+/month in affiliate fees, it seems to me that programming that won't injure me is the *minimum* I should expect.

And a serious shoulder injury will cost the athlete a lot more than three weeks off.

Katherine
Old 09-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #24
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

There's no secrets IMO. Nor does anything really need to be banned. I think it really just boils down to:

1) Understanding progressions - Generally do Maximal strength + Fixing Imbalances + Mobility work prior to Dynamic strength work. Introduce dynamic strength at a relative pace for each client.

2) Understanding the risk of high volume - Pay attn to your programming...have a plan or goal with your programming for your clients.

3) Having an environment where tweaks & aches are routinely talked about between trainers and clients. - This goes along with 2), you need feedback from your clients on your programming...otherwise you'll have no idea how folks are handling your programming, until someone tells you they want to suspend their membership for 2 weeks because their shoulder feels "funky".
Old 09-26-2011, 06:24 AM   #25
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
It also depends on the type of kipping.

"Butterfly" kips are WAY more ballistic and when done correctly have your shoulder joint go from unloaded to SLAMMED down into a loaded position. This is just terrible for your shoulders and WILL injure them over time, period.

A traditional kipping pull-up, after sufficient dead-hang strength has been established (5-10 deadhangs minimum) should involved the athlete maintaining tension in the joint and thus be reasonably safe. The problem with these is people let their bodies go all loosy goosy at the bottom and hyperextend their shoulders. But a good, tightly preformed, traditional kip with adequate strength developed first is pretty safe IMO.

Muscles ups should never be kipped.
I agree. Stay tight and don't let your body crash down, and listen to what you're body is telling you about the movement. The kip should not be done by weaker people, ever. Get ape strong on pullups first!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #26
Rob Bousquet

Profile:

Am I the only one that thinks kipping pull ups are being picked on? For me I have much more shoulder pain in the overhead squat postion while no pain in the shoulder during kips. To say most everyone should not do kips unless you are an elite sounds wrong to me. I am not elite but my #s and strength don't suck either. Except overhead and front squat!
Just about every movement we do when put in a timed competition has potential for injury. Also, it's not like if you are an elite athlete you will not get injured.
I know this is a bunch of random thoughts but it comes down to this for me: 1. If you take everything out that is a "high rate of injury" there will not be much left and 2. Are these gyms doing Crossfit if they are actually doing SS or whatever strength bias programing?
That leads me to the most common response I get when I tell people they should try Crossfit is "You have to be fit to Crossfit."
Old 09-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #27
Ash Smith

Profile:

I use something like the butterfly kip almost exclusively (when kipping is warranted). However, I should note that I'm coming from a pre-CF background that had lots of strict and semi-strict pullups, so I'm not "working my way up to a pullup"--I'm simply adapting to increase the speed in metcons.

Before I knew what to call it, I simply called it a cheater pullup. Pull your knees up quickly to generate momentum, then use the upper body for the last half of the movement. However, I lower in a much more controlled fashion, probably 2-3x the amount of time the concentric portion requires (still quick, but controlled). There is no violent, sudden loading of the shoulder at the bottom, and my center of gravity moves in almost a perfectly vertical fashion. No arc or swing involved.

The proper kip so common to CF wears me out quicker than deadhangs--usually my hands give out first, but I feel a lot more shoulder fatigue, too. It's just too much time on the bar for me. Everyone is built differently, so YMMV, but I'm just as scared of high-rep swinging kips as I am of high-rep snatches or the like. Fatigue is not your friend when you're trying to keep up technique, cadence, and momentum in a complicated movement like that. FWIW, I've never had a lifting injury that wasn't related to pressing (usually rotator cuff). Pulling has always been very safe for me.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #28
Daniel Sont

Profile:

This isn't stoppin me from kippin mah pullups!
Old 10-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #29
Paul Coplin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bousquet View Post
Am I the only one that thinks kipping pull ups are being picked on? For me I have much more shoulder pain in the overhead squat postion while no pain in the shoulder during kips. To say most everyone should not do kips unless you are an elite sounds wrong to me.

I agree. Doing anything high rep when you're not strong enough to handle it is dangerous.

I cased myself acromioclavicular degeneration from too many overhead exercises (thruster, push press, etc.). Caused me to have to get surgery. Just happens sometimes I think.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #30
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bousquet View Post
Am I the only one that thinks kipping pull ups are being picked on? For me I have much more shoulder pain in the overhead squat postion while no pain in the shoulder during kips. To say most everyone should not do kips unless you are an elite sounds wrong to me. I am not elite but my #s and strength don't suck either. Except overhead and front squat!
Just about every movement we do when put in a timed competition has potential for injury. Also, it's not like if you are an elite athlete you will not get injured.
I know this is a bunch of random thoughts but it comes down to this for me: 1. If you take everything out that is a "high rate of injury" there will not be much left and 2. Are these gyms doing Crossfit if they are actually doing SS or whatever strength bias programing?
That leads me to the most common response I get when I tell people they should try Crossfit is "You have to be fit to Crossfit."
The fact that your OHS is weak and that you also get pain when you do it are probably related. I've no real way of knowing, but it could be due to incorrect form, or needing to strengthen your shoulders a bit.