CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #51
James A Wade

Profile:
Re: How sore is too sore to workout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Schwab View Post
So I am brand new to Crossfit, and, how can I put this, extraordinarily out of shape and sedentary. And I have about 70 pounds to lose. I joined a box with my mom and we started On Ramp last night. Well, as you can imagine it was incredibly difficult. I nearly puked and today my legs are so incredibly sore. I am want to scream every time i have to use the restroom or go up the stairs! Anyways, normally On Ramp will be every other day (MWF) but because of the holiday we are doing two days back to back. So do I go and push through? My mom who is in much better shape than me is going and I hate to miss. I can't imagine I will be able to do much with these legs. I would appreciate any advice! Thanks so much. Oh, can i take advil, or will numbing the pain and then working out put me at risk for injury? Thanks!
I recently have experienced extreme soreness. I completed a workout on Tuesday involving all lower body. It is bow Saturday and I'm still sore. I was so sore the day after I could barely walk. My legs are constantly giving out on me. Did you do anything to help your soreness. I've used icy hot, Epsom salt and heat. Nothing seems to help.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #52
Renata Speranza

Profile:

Quote:
Renata, Thank you so much for your encouragement and support! Your story encourages me so much. I look forward to getting stronger and stronger.

Be blessed and please keep posted about all your progress.

Stephanie
Hi Stephanie
How are you? How was your weekend? How's your "on-ramp-class" going?

How do you feel about crossfit so far...I mean, what you've been taught so far etc.?

Next week I'm having my first anniversary from CrossFit I liked it from the very beginning (even with the soreness) and I just kept going. I had to struggle a lot with weight loss though, because I put myself into a starvation mode (without even realizing...) and what I've tried the last 7 months seemed not to work at all, because there was obviously no change in my body comp. when I went to have my bodyfat measured... So last Friday I went back there....! And YES finally there was some positive outcome. I have lost weight, I have lost fat (1.5 kg) and I put on 2.5 kg muscle mass... and this only in the last 2,5 months. I am still unsure, whether the measurements are correct...it seems a lot of musclemass... but nevertheless... I've lost my weight in the right direction...by losing fat and gaining some muscles... So I just wanted to share this with you, that you'll be also fine by losing some weight, if you adjust also your nutrition.

Have a nice Sunday.
Ciao,
Renata
Old 09-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #53
Stephanie Schwab

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Wade View Post
I recently have experienced extreme soreness. I completed a workout on Tuesday involving all lower body. It is bow Saturday and I'm still sore. I was so sore the day after I could barely walk. My legs are constantly giving out on me. Did you do anything to help your soreness. I've used icy hot, Epsom salt and heat. Nothing seems to help.
Ouch! I understand. I have tried advil, hot baths with epsom salts, and i did buy a foam roller which seems to help more than anything. But unfortunately nothing seems to help significantly for me but time.
How are you feeling today? Any better? Are you just starting out or was it an especially brutal workout? I am sore from Friday's workout and have felt exhausted, sore, and an extreme amount of malaise all weekend.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #54
Rob Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Wade View Post
Probably too late, but I noticed an improvement when I took protein, and a lot of water 64oz. immediately after working out. Also took Astaxanthin 5mg pill. That seems like a long time to be sore to me, don't be discouraged... we have aches and pains all the time too haha.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #55
Stephanie Schwab

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata Speranza View Post
Hi Stephanie
How are you? How was your weekend? How's your "on-ramp-class" going?

How do you feel about crossfit so far...I mean, what you've been taught so far etc.?

Next week I'm having my first anniversary from CrossFit I liked it from the very beginning (even with the soreness) and I just kept going. I had to struggle a lot with weight loss though, because I put myself into a starvation mode (without even realizing...) and what I've tried the last 7 months seemed not to work at all, because there was obviously no change in my body comp. when I went to have my bodyfat measured... So last Friday I went back there....! And YES finally there was some positive outcome. I have lost weight, I have lost fat (1.5 kg) and I put on 2.5 kg muscle mass... and this only in the last 2,5 months. I am still unsure, whether the measurements are correct...it seems a lot of musclemass... but nevertheless... I've lost my weight in the right direction...by losing fat and gaining some muscles... So I just wanted to share this with you, that you'll be also fine by losing some weight, if you adjust also your nutrition.

Have a nice Sunday.
Ciao,
Renata
Renata!

Hi! And congratulations!! I am so proud of you and think that is wonderful, both doing Crossfit for a year (wow!) and putting on all that muscle. I am thrilled for you! I think a big celebration is in order. That is awesome! Would you mind sharing where you started with some of your workouts (time or weight, etc.) and where you are now? I would love to know, and it would be super encouraging to me. What is a typical day of eating for you? Do you follow the Zone or Paleo?

So far I am five on-ramp workouts in and am excited about everything to come. This weekend has been tough physically. Friday's workout was brutal for me. My heart rate goes up so high, and it was really tough. So both yesterday and today I just feel totally wiped out. Just a general sense of malaise and exhaustion and soreness. I have slept pretty well and eating nutriously but can't seem to shake feeling generally wiped out. I've been sort of depressed becasue I feel so bad physically. Did you ever have days like this when you started out?

I am very excited about what I've learned so far and to be a part of the Crossfit community. I look forward to gaining strength and confidence and I truly hope the measures I take to change phsycially will overflow into other areas of my life. I need changes!

I had fun watching the Crossfit games and my mom and I bought some Vibram Five Finger shoes. I really love them!

How was your weekend? What do you feel has the been the best part of Crossfit for you? This is off-topic a bit, but I would love to know all about Switzerland and what it is like there! It must be very beautiful.

Have a wonderful Monday!

Stephanie
Old 09-19-2011, 03:45 AM   #56
Renata Speranza

Profile:

Quote:
So far I am five on-ramp workouts in and am excited about everything to come. This weekend has been tough physically. Friday's workout was brutal for me. My heart rate goes up so high, and it was really tough. So both yesterday and today I just feel totally wiped out. Just a general sense of malaise and exhaustion and soreness. I have slept pretty well and eating nutriously but can't seem to shake feeling generally wiped out. I've been sort of depressed becasue I feel so bad physically. Did you ever have days like this when you started out?

I am very excited about what I've learned so far and to be a part of the Crossfit community. I look forward to gaining strength and confidence and I truly hope the measures I take to change phsycially will overflow into other areas of my life. I need changes!

I had fun watching the Crossfit games and my mom and I bought some Vibram Five Finger shoes. I really love them!

How was your weekend? What do you feel has the been the best part of Crossfit for you? This is off-topic a bit, but I would love to know all about Switzerland and what it is like there! It must be very beautiful.

Have a wonderful Monday!

Stephanie
Hi Stephanie

I sent you a private message and tried to "sum up" things for you. I'd be pleased to share more with you, if you'd like. Just let me know by pm, ok?

I am sure, your progress will be steady, if you go to your classes on a regular basis. It is important, that you eat enough and healthy. I made the mistake myself and put myself on a starvation mode, without even knowing... being about 25 kgs overweight and talking about starvation may sound ridiculous, but it really was not funny at all for me. So please, please eat healthy and enough, you'll lose weight anyway. I am on strict paleo now (but the whole transition from starvation mode to paleo took me some detours and personal experiences on what my body prefers...but now I am ready for paleo and it works just fine).

Make also sure, you eat something 15-75 min. before your workout and make sure, you eat something right afterwards too. The post-workout-meal is the most important for your recovery. I can tell you more about it too, if you'd like. Even though I was eating healthy (but too little), I started to feel the loss of energy, starting feeling depressed etc. So really be sure, you eat enough!

CrossFit changed my whole life. Not, that my life was bad before, but I have a fully different attitude towards it. Lifting some stuff (whatever) outside the gym is fun and not "work" or when I have to go to the car with my groceries I make some "farmers walk" out of it. People say, that I look simply happier etc... But I have more self-confidence, more happiness, I go to the gym whenever I can, not because I have to, but because I want to and it makes me feel good and happy. Would you have told me this a year ago, I would have laughed at you. My whole journey started on September 25 and I surely will celebrate. With some water and some chicken

I am sure, in a year I read your post and you'll tell me something similar... I could have told you this already 11 months ago....so it only get's better!!

Ciao, Renata
Old 09-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #57
James A Wade

Profile:

Quote:
Ouch! I understand. I have tried advil, hot baths with epsom salts, and i did buy a foam roller which seems to help more than anything. But unfortunately nothing seems to help significantly for me but time.
How are you feeling today? Any better? Are you just starting out or was it an especially brutal workout? I am sore from Friday's workout and have felt exhausted, sore, and an extreme amount of malaise all weekend.
I'm a lot better. What seemed to help was was doing light jogging a couple days later. Seemed to loosen up the muscles. No, it wasn't a hard workout. I just have week legs. The workout was tabata bottom to bottom squats followed by running a mile. Let's just say I underestimated the workout. I have been doing crossfit about a month bur hurt my shoulder the first week so I have been focusing on lower body.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #58
Rebekah Bromwell

Profile:

I recently started crossfit (last week!) and I do a scaled warm up and wod, but I'm still severely wiped by the end of it. the first day was last thursday, and I bascally couldn't function over the weekend, went back monday, and yesterday I wanted to go but just felt horrible, and stayed home to rest. I have been pretty sore/stiff unremittingly since thursday, but also maybe coming down with something because have had very little appetite, and was not well yesterday afternoon to the point where I dressed and was ready to go but couldn't leave the house.

So my question is how do you judge when you have recovered sufficiently to workout again? The coach at my box said to come in even if I'm feeling lousy b/c I can always at least do laps around the building, which sounds ok except for actual illness like yesterday. Is that the best approach? Should I be letting my muscles rest for a few days between lifting/squats/etc to repair themselves? Is sufficient recovery "free from pain" or just "better than crippled"?

btw, I am in similar starting condition to the OP, coming to crossfit from a paleo eating background but very inactive and afraid of exercise honestly do to a lot of chronic pain/fatigue, etc. This is sort of my last ditch effort to "cure" myself since I'm eating well and still not seeing a big drop in inflammation.

Thanks so much for all the advice and encouragement threads, they have really been helpful so far.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #59
James A Wade

Profile:

I'm no expert. If your inactive these workouts are going to be tough at the beginning. I'm active and after the first week I felt horrible. So sore I could hardly move. I however did not do a ramp up I just jumped into it. Yes I had to scale the amount of weight being lifted in each workout. But after pushing through I after one month of cross fit I can do most RX on the weight now. Just keep it up.
On the other hand if you are I'll try and get better first. Relax and drink lots of water. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #60
Amber Napoleon

Profile:

Hi, Rebekah. When I started CrossFit back in July, I was only able to come to one or two sessions a week because I was so sore. I made a deal with myself to go every Wednesday at the very least. I made it an appointment and kept it. After a few weeks it started getting better and I actually WANTED to go more often. I'm now doing it a minimum of four days, plus my squadron has one mandatory PT session a week, so I'm doing 5-6 days. I still have days where I'm really sore and sometimes cancel a CF session and reschedule it to my originally planned rest day. I try not to make any excuses, but there are days where I just know I need the rest.

Pay attention to what your body's telling you. If you absolutely know you're not going to make it through a CrossFit workout, then maybe just a run or a long walk would be better. You'll soon get better at knowing when the soreness isn't too much to work through.