CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-12-2011, 07:00 AM   #41
Craig Benner

Profile:
Re: How sore is too sore to workout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata Speranza View Post
Hi Stephanie

Well, it's "too bad" you had to do the same basic movement twice in a row... but this, at least for my experience, can happen (sometimes quite frequently). I am not familiar with all the programming of the mainsite, but it seems that there is some logic behind that. And there are affiliates that just do their own programming.
There is zero logic behind their programming. How else can you train for the unknowable?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:24 AM   #42
Renata Speranza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Benner View Post
There is zero logic behind their programming. How else can you train for the unknowable?

Your reply is really weird. I don't think that being prepared for the unknowable or unknown has something to do with "zero logic".... They wouldn't want you to do only "upper body"-Workouts for a whole week...would they? But it can be, that today you have a chipper, where you'll have to do 100 air squats and tomorrow there can be some Thruster, Back squats etc..... the basic movement would still be the same (squats). Still, we don't know, what tomorrow will come... so that's the unknown part about it... or being prepared in your life... you can fall over tomorrow, stumble whatever...so you better be prepared to do a good push up...

For what the sore muscles are implied, I had the same issues when I started... but I didn't blame the programming or others that much... I rather blamed myself for not being fit at all... I didn't question the whole thing. I just went back, even if I didn't know how I was supposed to do some more squats, while my legs really were aching... I asked my coach and he, with a big smile said: I don't care... just keep doing it. I knew, he cared, but it helped me to stop whining and go ahead... and after a few weeks it got better and better. I still can remember those first days (also because I wrote down, how I felt at that time) and I remember that going on the toilet was really cruel and that I even wanted to stop drinking some water!!!

I wish you a nice day.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #43
Stephanie Schwab

Profile:

I'm going back for my third on ramp session tonight - i'm a bit scared as this weeks shedule is supposed to be T/W/F. But I'm planning to tough it out. My legs are about 90% normal, which is great.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #44
Renata Speranza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Schwab View Post
I'm going back for my third on ramp session tonight - i'm a bit scared as this weeks shedule is supposed to be T/W/F. But I'm planning to tough it out. My legs are about 90% normal, which is great.
Stephanie
just keep going. Try to do your best there. Nobody (but you) forces you to do something you don't want to. But in my opinion, with Crossfit I've learned to push it through to the end. I ended up being exhausted, but happy. That's all that matters, after all! And you'll see, it will get better from time to time. I was sore the whole fist month of CF. But it wasn't annoying me... I was happy to feel alive and finally it got better and better...and that's when you see, that you make fast progresses! So just make sure, you're happy with what you do and try to do your best... and then you'll be fine.

Cheers, Renata
Old 09-14-2011, 04:14 AM   #45
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Stephanie
just keep going. Try to do your best there. Nobody (but you) forces you to do something you don't want to. But in my opinion, with Crossfit I've learned to push it through to the end. I ended up being exhausted, but happy. That's all that matters, after all! And you'll see, it will get better from time to time. I was sore the whole fist month of CF. But it wasn't annoying me... I was happy to feel alive and finally it got better and better...and that's when you see, that you make fast progresses! So just make sure, you're happy with what you do and try to do your best... and then you'll be fine.

Cheers, Renata
And that's usually fine, provided your coaches can be trusted to do the smart and safe thing with people, particularly beginners. Doesn't sound like the case here. "Just push through it" is a recipe for injury in a situation like that.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:23 AM   #46
Renata Speranza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
And that's usually fine, provided your coaches can be trusted to do the smart and safe thing with people, particularly beginners. Doesn't sound like the case here. "Just push through it" is a recipe for injury in a situation like that.
Hi Eric

No, no, maybe expressing myself in English (as being one of the languages I had to learn at school...and not my mother tongue) it's kind of leading to some misunderstandings. My coaches made sure from the very beginning, that I was the one to decide, when "pushing through" was "over"... They told me, I shouldn't feel bad, if I only could work out 10 minutes out of 60... maybe next time I could do 11 or 12 minutes etc... And they cared also since the beginning about my previous shoulder injury. They still ask me (on Sept. 25th it's been a year of CF for me) today, how my shoulder is and if I do have pain or not. So they really care about each and everyone of us.

At the beginning, when I couldn't do a single Burpee they just showed me, how to do it slowly... scaling it down in numbers.... and so I scaled almost everything... When I did my first 100 Burpee (with ring-rows instead of pull-ups) last February everybody in the gym was happy for me! I still can't believe I did 100 of them (ok, last monday I did 50 for fun... so it's getting real...) . We've always got at least 2 certified coaches to monitor all our classes and they won't let you do a wrong movement.

So I am really glad I found this gym. Not only the people are fantastic and they belong all to my second family, but also the workout is great. They care about each and everyone of us. I never ever had the impression, that I should be ashamed of not being able to do an excercise, while they were happy for me and cheering at me for being finally able to do one whatsoever... my first pull-up (assisted), my first box jump etc...

But you might well know that sometimes it is hard to go until the end. That's what is Crossfit after all....at least for me.... not giving up at the first "hurdle" or when it's getting tough (not meaning, to get an injury!! I've never felt better than by "pushing hard and through" with crossfit all my previous "little aches here and there" disappeared). They taught me, that it is also my own choice, how much I want to "push through" and not theirs... So they taught me also to listen to my body...and I guess that is the most important thing I've learned. After 3 weeks into CF I felt, I couldn't do a single air squat... I felt like I had really no strength at all and I felt really bad about it.... so my coach just cheered me up... saying I could do some "bench squats" or whatever... and to do less squats...and next time I'll be fine again...

Sorry for having written that much... I just wanted to make sure, there is no misunderstanding. I wouldn't want to switch any of my coaches there! They're great and they really care. They do that for passion, not for money!! Nobody would work that many hours for so little money in Switzerland!!! Believe me!

Have a nice day!
Ciao
Old 09-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #47
Rob Brown

Profile:

Not sure if it has been covered, but I too am sore.. in our family we all cf, and we have a saying 'waking up sore, means your still alive'..

I have a couple tricks that have helped us recover, drink lots of water to flush your system, and have a protein shake within half an hour of the workout. I also take 5mg of Astaxanthin (an antioxidant) that has at least been good for the placebo effect.

We are less sore, ish...
Old 09-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #48
Stephanie Schwab

Profile:

Quote:
Hi Eric

No, no, maybe expressing myself in English (as being one of the languages I had to learn at school...and not my mother tongue) it's kind of leading to some misunderstandings. My coaches made sure from the very beginning, that I was the one to decide, when "pushing through" was "over"... They told me, I shouldn't feel bad, if I only could work out 10 minutes out of 60... maybe next time I could do 11 or 12 minutes etc... And they cared also since the beginning about my previous shoulder injury. They still ask me (on Sept. 25th it's been a year of CF for me) today, how my shoulder is and if I do have pain or not. So they really care about each and everyone of us.

At the beginning, when I couldn't do a single Burpee they just showed me, how to do it slowly... scaling it down in numbers.... and so I scaled almost everything... When I did my first 100 Burpee (with ring-rows instead of pull-ups) last February everybody in the gym was happy for me! I still can't believe I did 100 of them (ok, last monday I did 50 for fun... so it's getting real...) . We've always got at least 2 certified coaches to monitor all our classes and they won't let you do a wrong movement.

So I am really glad I found this gym. Not only the people are fantastic and they belong all to my second family, but also the workout is great. They care about each and everyone of us. I never ever had the impression, that I should be ashamed of not being able to do an excercise, while they were happy for me and cheering at me for being finally able to do one whatsoever... my first pull-up (assisted), my first box jump etc...

But you might well know that sometimes it is hard to go until the end. That's what is Crossfit after all....at least for me.... not giving up at the first "hurdle" or when it's getting tough (not meaning, to get an injury!! I've never felt better than by "pushing hard and through" with crossfit all my previous "little aches here and there" disappeared). They taught me, that it is also my own choice, how much I want to "push through" and not theirs... So they taught me also to listen to my body...and I guess that is the most important thing I've learned. After 3 weeks into CF I felt, I couldn't do a single air squat... I felt like I had really no strength at all and I felt really bad about it.... so my coach just cheered me up... saying I could do some "bench squats" or whatever... and to do less squats...and next time I'll be fine again...

Sorry for having written that much... I just wanted to make sure, there is no misunderstanding. I wouldn't want to switch any of my coaches there! They're great and they really care. They do that for passion, not for money!! Nobody would work that many hours for so little money in Switzerland!!! Believe me!

Have a nice day!
Ciao
Thank you so much for sharing this! It was a big encouragement to me. I am so glad your experience with Crossfit and your gym has been so wonderful. I worked out Tuesday and Wednesday and will go again Friday. I am very sore, but not "crippled", so that is good. Be blessed!

Stephanie
Old 09-15-2011, 11:56 PM   #49
Renata Speranza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Schwab View Post
Thank you so much for sharing this! It was a big encouragement to me. I am so glad your experience with Crossfit and your gym has been so wonderful. I worked out Tuesday and Wednesday and will go again Friday. I am very sore, but not "crippled", so that is good. Be blessed!

Stephanie
Hello Stephanie

I am really glad, that you go back to your gym to workout. It's tough at the beginning. I know. I was in your same situation. But believe me, it really gets better from time to time... and suddenly you realize that you are not sore anymore after a workout. But it still happens today, that after some workouts I'm sore. But I am happy about that!! In my first month I didn't know which muscle was more sore than the other... ha ha ha But I felt that those endorphins were much stronger than the pain.... and I was laughing at some t-shirts in the gym with some sayings like "strong people are harder to kill" or "pain is weakness leaving the body"... or "you pass out before you die" etc... they made me laugh and made me feel better.

I am a part of this whole, amazing community. And so are you. Be proud of yourself and your achievements. There are many other people out there just laying lazy on a couch and not want to move a finger! We don't belong to them!

Have a wonderful day and keep posting here about your progresses!!

Cheers,
Renata
Old 09-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #50
Stephanie Schwab

Profile:

Renata, Thank you so much for your encouragement and support! Your story encourages me so much. I look forward to getting stronger and stronger.

Be blessed and please keep posted about all your progress.

Stephanie