CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #31
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: How sore is too sore to workout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Schwab View Post
So this is what we did on our first workout - we learned the proper technique for air squats, and then we did a 2 minute drill of 20 secs on (as many squats as you can do with proper form) and 10 secs rest. and already my legs were shaking and burning. and we went through some upper body stuff, pushups and ring pull ups (i least i think thats what its called - to help prepare for dong pulls up eventually). So then we got into our first workout (and this was timed) - 200m run, and then 15 reps of air squats, push ups , rings, and then 12 reps and then 9 and finishing with a 200m run. Now, to gage my lack of shape, and this is embarrassing, it took me over 16 minutes to finish, while it took my mom just over 10! So the next night, this was Wednesday, we warmed up and went through a bunch of press types, and got to the workout, which was weighted front squats...and a ton of them! we did the 10:1 thing so that was a total of 55 WEIGHTED (although a very light weight ) front squats (if i counted right), switching with the same reps of a push press. I mean my form on squats went out the window. I don't even know how I finished.
Tabata squats *plus* 15-12-9, for brand-new beginners? That's just dumb. Either of those by itself would have been plenty.

And then 55 more squats the next workout? With weight, so you can really @#$% yourself up? These people don't know what they're doing. Find another box.

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire : 09-09-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #32
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

It really depends on your personal fitness background and how sensitive you are to the aches, pains and soreness of a new fitness program. What could be inconsequential to one could be tremendously debilitating to another.

Focus on good form, listen to your trainers, go as intense as you are able to do with good form and you will improve. Everyone starts this journey somewhere. Keep up with the stretching and flexibility, good clean diet and consistency and you will be amazed at how far you have come in a month, in six months, a year....

The best thing about this journey is that you made the concious decision to start. Great job!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #33
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
I have! I read about it and its scary. I know my trainer is level 1 certified and I think she started crossfit maybe 2 or 3 years ago? I know she comes from a very athletic/hockey/sports background. The first workout we were with the owner because she was out of town. maybe the two of them didn't communicate about what we did the first workout? but shouldn't all that on ramp stuff be the same each time? I see her saturday and will talk to her. Being this sore is very discouraging. I'm down with being somewhat sore, i just want to be able to pee and use the stairs in my house without screaming!
The general outline should be the same, but the coach should be perceptive enough to adjust things to the level of each individual. If the coach doesn't do that, they're not a very good coach. On-ramp should be about teaching basic mechanics of the major movements, which can be down without making someone sore.

Teach the basics-->put people through a VERY scaled workout-->come back the next session and build on things
Old 09-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #34
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Tabata squats for 8 full rounds is dumb programming sure to cause extreme soreness in new people.

Their On-Ramp class is poorly designed. I wouldn't have much faith in these people to handle scaling correctly.

CrossFit can work for you, the combination of the workouts plus good nutrition can have you much closer to where you want to be a year from now. This particular affiliate doesn't sound like the answer.

I would look for a different gym.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #35
John Hansen

Profile:

Quote:
I have! I read about it and its scary. I know my trainer is level 1 certified and I think she started crossfit maybe 2 or 3 years ago? I know she comes from a very athletic/hockey/sports background. The first workout we were with the owner because she was out of town. maybe the two of them didn't communicate about what we did the first workout? but shouldn't all that on ramp stuff be the same each time? I see her saturday and will talk to her. Being this sore is very discouraging. I'm down with being somewhat sore, i just want to be able to pee and use the stairs in my house without screaming!

OK. I'm glad you've done your research on your own, and I'm going to assume from what you wrote that your trainer didn't talk to you about rhabdo.

I'm not saying you are a likely candidate for rhabdo, but I can easily imagine this trainer causing it in some of her other clients.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #36
Stephanie Schwab

Profile:

I just talked to my trainer. She is going to have me skip tomorrow and come back next Tuesday. I am relieved and hope she will be more conservative next time.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #37
Scott Walters

Profile:

Reading through this today, just wanted to say good luck. As to getting stronger before you start, I know for me that would have ment not starting at all, I just know I never would have done it without the support my box gives, for what it's worth
Old 09-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #38
Stephanie Schwab

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Walters View Post
Reading through this today, just wanted to say good luck. As to getting stronger before you start, I know for me that would have ment not starting at all, I just know I never would have done it without the support my box gives, for what it's worth
Thank you very much Glad your box is so supportive!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #39
Scott Walters

Profile:

You know when I say box I mean crossfit gym right
Old 09-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #40
Stephanie Schwab

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Walters View Post
You know when I say box I mean crossfit gym right