CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #11
Mark Davis

Profile:
Re: Almond Butter to PB Doh!

For cheap almond butter just: Buy either raw or dry roasted almonds put them in a high powered blender or food processor for 3 minutes and bam, you have fresh almond butter! Works great for walnut and cashew butter too! And you can add in spices too like: nutmeg, cinnamon, or what ever else>
Old 09-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #12
Zach S

Profile:

Peanut butter is the highest food in omega-6 pufa on the planet so in that respect i would not eat it everyday.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #13
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

My grandpa is 87 and he has been eating a Peanut butter sandwich on white bread almost everyday that I can remember. He is still going stong! Real men eat Peanut butter! Save the almond butter for the hippies they need to eat too!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
Erin Hightower

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Castagno View Post
What kind do you find yourself buying?
Adam's all natural
Old 09-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #15
Erin Hightower

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
My grandpa is 87 and he has been eating a Peanut butter sandwich on white bread almost everyday that I can remember. He is still going stong! Real men eat Peanut butter! Save the almond butter for the hippies they need to eat too!
ah yes, statistical inference of n=1
Old 09-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #16
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Hightower View Post
ah yes, statistical inference of n=1
Yes its called real life. Much more reliable than some wack job who wrote a book and told you peanut butter was going to kill you.

Edit: been trying to locate all the articles about people dropping dead from peanut butter but all I found was an article from Harvard health about how its heart healthy. Hmmmmm Must be bad facts poor research or maybe they have not read the article/book by (insert guru of the month here).

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_...butter-healthy wfs.

Last edited by Rob Samuels : 09-07-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #17
Todd R Bailey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
Yes its called real life. Much more reliable than some wack job who wrote a book and told you peanut butter was going to kill you.

Edit: been trying to locate all the articles about people dropping dead from peanut butter but all I found was an article from Harvard health about how its heart healthy. Hmmmmm Must be bad facts poor research or maybe they have not read the article/book by (insert guru of the month here).

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_...butter-healthy wfs.
Actually, the article you cite is focused on whether the saturated fat content of peanuts is harmful to the heart. Since we know that saturated fat is not, we shouldn't be surprised that the article concludes that moderate consumption of saturated fat from peanuts is not a problem.

Unfortunately, that is not the end of the story. For other reasons, peanut oil is very atherogenic for many animals. It is suspected that the lectin content of peanuts may be the cause.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9727614 (wfs)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7082418 (wfs)

Does any of that mean that someone will drop dead from eating peanut butter? No, of course not. Even if these studies are directly applicable to humans, peanut lectin probably affects some people more than others. It does however indicate there may be some risk for some people.

As for the OP, I don't think finishing off the jar of PB will have any long term ill health effects. For future purchases, you'll have to decide for yourself whether the enjoyment or cost savings of peanut butter (over an alternative such as almond butter) is worth the potential (possible, hypothetical, whatever you want to call it) negative health effects.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #18
Steven P Dempsey

Profile:

On a related topic, the conventional paleo wisdom as it's been explained to me is that, generally, if you are eating the right things, it's impossible to overeat.

But almond butter has become a bit of an obsession, and I probably sock away 4 or 5 servings a day as a snack. Is it possible to get too much of a good thing?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #19
Todd R Bailey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven P Dempsey View Post
On a related topic, the conventional paleo wisdom as it's been explained to me is that, generally, if you are eating the right things, it's impossible to overeat.

But almond butter has become a bit of an obsession, and I probably sock away 4 or 5 servings a day as a snack. Is it possible to get too much of a good thing?
Processing almonds into almond butter makes it a lot easier to consume a large amount of almonds in a short time. The general “paleo” consensus (if there is one) is that while nuts are “paleo” their intake should not be unlimited. Two reasons to limit nut consumption.

1) They’re calorically dense. If you are trying to lose weight/lean out, excessive nut consumption may be a problem. (If weight loss is not a concern, obviously this does not apply.)

2) Nuts are generally high in n-6 polyunsaturated fats. A goal of the paleo diet is to create a beneficial, less inflammatory 2:1 ratio of n-6:n-3 fatty acids. It is generally considered better to achieve this ratio by reducing n-6 intake rather than simply supplementing megadoses of n-3.

So, I would say eat enough nuts and almond butter to enjoy and provide variety to your diet. Certainly nuts and almond butter are a better choice than most processed or snack foods. But if you are getting a significant portion of your calories from nuts (including almond butter), you’re probably not doing yourself any favors.

I think Mark’s Daily Apple provides a reasonable paleo/primal take on the issue:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/nuts-omega-6-fats/ (wfs)
Old 09-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #20
Dave Traeger

Profile:

My almond butter has a big allergy warning on the side that says 'Warning - may contain nuts'