CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
Clay Crenshaw

Profile:
Paleo and constant hunger?

I've been eating paleo for two weeks now and it seems that even thought I feel full after eating it is just a couple of hours before I'm extremely hungry again. I normally will suffer through the hunger until Iíve gone 3 to 4 hours without eating.

Is this normal, will it pass, or do I just need to eat whenever I feel the urge to eat?

Iím 5í11, 191lb (down from 248lb after 2 years of CF), and workout extremely hard about 5 to 6 days a week.

On any given day Iím eating about two pounds of various meats, massive amounts of vegetables, four eggs, a small amount of fruit, and one PWO shake consisting of( 8oz of coconut milk, 25g of whey protein, and 75g of sweet potatoes.)

Any thoughts/ suggestions would be great.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Matt Holmer

Profile:
Re: Paleo and constant hunger?

It would probably help if you posted a day's worth of food or at least your total calories and macro breakdown.

If you are getting enough calories to support your active lifestyle, then I'm guessing you're not getting enough fat. Try increasing the amount of good fat in your diet and see if it helps with the hunger pains.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Eat when you're hungry! Compare a typical day of eating pre-paleo to now, are you eating the same amount of calories? Under eating is pretty typical when people switch to paleo, also make sure you are getting a good amount of dense carbs 75g of sweet potato is only about half of one, definitely not very much if you are doing CF regularly.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Clay Crenshaw

Profile:

I'm new to the paleo thing, but I thought the purpose was not only to avoid processed food, but not to eat dense carbs such as potatos, rice, etc...
Old 07-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Crenshaw View Post
I'm new to the paleo thing, but I thought the purpose was not only to avoid processed food, but not to eat dense carbs such as potatos, rice, etc...
Caloric density of food has nothing to do with the paleo diet. In fact, most of the densest foods you can eat are the ones that are encouraged by paleo diets (coconut oil, coconut, avocado, olive oil, animal fat).

If you are doing Crossfit you are doing high-intensity exercise which relies heavily on the glycolytic and aerobic pathways. Carbohydrates are absolutely essential to best performance on this type of exercise.

I would question why anyone would suggest that you need to eat more fat, or more protein for that matter. Surely you are getting enough of the essential fatty acids and amino acids. And they are not the preferred source of fuel for high-intensity exercise, which is likely the cause of your hunger (nothing wrong with that), so I wouldn't add more.

You're eating some sweet potato, a little fruit, and vegetables. 75g of sweet potatoes provide about 20g of carbs. A "little fruit" provides about the same. Massive amounts of vegetables, even if that's 3 lb of broccoli, still can't account for much. Based on what you said it sounds like you're getting 100g of carb per day at best. For someone your size who is working out "very hard" 5 or 6 times per week and is still hungry, I would say you might need to double that amount.

You can get in more carbs while adhering to the paleo diet by eating more of the following:

raisins, bananas, apples, oranges, kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, grapes, pineapples, apricots, mangos, pears, watermelons, guava, gooseberry, passion fruit, pomegranate, cranberry, raspberry, blackberry, tomato, fig, date, clementines, plantains, nectarines, rhubarb, carrots, cucumbers, cabbage, broccoli, sweet potato, japanese sweet potato, turnip, parsnip, spinach, bok choy, yu choy, garlic, celery, arugula, collard green, mustard green, dandelion, kale, raddish, beet, swiss chard, turnip green, artichoke, cauliflower, leek, ginger, jimaca, yam, rutabaga, and honey.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
Milton Brisson

Profile:

I am on day 13 of being paleo myself. I know what you mean when you say you are always hungry.

When I was hungry, I made sure that I ate. There were days where I woulodnt go an hour with out eating....I suggest that you carry a bag of almonds with you. Its good for getting fats in, and I found that only a few of them made me feel full for a while. My first week of paleo, I ate 1kg of them, and they are delicious!

there were days where I would eat 6-7 eggs as well, so you are on the right track there. I made sure as well to have a couple hard-boiled eggs on hand wherever I was.

I have gotten to the point where I dont need that much food anymore, but I still eat a lot. So I think that you will adjust, once you figure out how much fuel your body actually needs you will naturally adjust your food intake.

With all of the extra eating, i have gone down from 245# when I started to 232# this morning! (allthough, you are probably not worried about weight loss anymore...)

Stick with it! Paleo has made me feel great!

edit...
Quote:
You are not avoiding carb-dense stuff, you stay away from rice, potatoes etc. because of the startch.

Last edited by Milton Brisson : 07-13-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
Zach S

Profile:

Quote:
Ugh.

I really hate the whole paleo low carb dogma thing.

Carbs are not the devil. They are our main source of energy and if you are working out hard 5-6 days a week, you will need a good amount of them. All pototoes and other starchy veg along with fruit are awesome foods packed with nutrients and good carbs. Eat them. Rice is great too for most, if you like it, eat it.

Heres what you need to avoid. Processed foods, vegetable oils, excess omega 6's, grains and legumes. (even though i think grains and legumes are ok once in awhile).
Old 07-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

eat when you're hungry. eat more fruit. just add a piece when you eat to the meat and veggies you already have. add in some more sweet potato. eat a whole one after your workout and another at some point in the day. basically what everyone else said above. and by the way, congrats on the great progress you have already made, 50 lbs is a great accomplishment.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
Chris Stroud

Profile:

Most people who start Paleo generally go from a mid to high carb daily intake to a low carb intake - under 50 grams. When this happens, your body goes into o-**** mode because all of a sudden this carbohydrate full source that it has been using to power one one self is gone. What happens over the next 1-3 weeks is the body begins to use fat as the primary fuel source and during this process one will be more hungry as usual. Just eat your meat and veggies and the hunger issue will eventually subside.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
If you're hungry, eat. Rice is non-paleo because it's a grain, but you can eat all the starchy tubers you want.

Katherine