CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 05-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #21
Michael Dowling

Profile:
Re: You, too, canít have a body like this

ok glad i'm not the only one, i'm out of touch i guess... i always thought mens health was like maxim for g@y dudes.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #22
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Peterson View Post
Men's fitness is the reason I got into CF. They had an article about it. I bugged my fiance non-stop until she went and tried the baseline too. Then we both signed up and are almost at the year mark. We love it!
Me too...I'm at 3+ years! And don't knock those cover models - I got beat by one in her 1st ever CF WOD. I'm also pretty hairy and proud.

I'm manly. Not that non hairy people aren't...:-)
Old 05-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #23
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I read Men's Health occasionaly, and Men's Fitness is usually interesting. I don't style my hair, never shave anything below the neck, and never eat anything that's "reduced fat".
Old 05-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #24
Maryann Rice

Profile:

Wow what a fascinating article! Had no idea eating disorders were on the rise for men. I think it may be a little blown out of proportion though, the pressures can't be anything like the past few decades of society telling women that their value as human beings is based solely on tiny waists and a willowy figure. These pressures come from everywhere and you can't escape them. They are all over the television, slathered all over billboards/adverts, pretty much any magazine I can think of. Not only that, I can't go to work or school or anywhere without hearing about it. It is so ingrained that many people don't even notice anymore. If a young, impressionable guy cracks open a Men's Health or Men's Fitness and then starts purging and doing all sorts of crazy **** to get those 6-pack abs or whatever, then he probably has a lot more serious and deep-rooted psychological issues that may stem from an abusive upbringing or something of that nature. I feel like all a guy has to do to avoid those kind of pressures is to not read those particular magazines. Easy enough, there aren't all that many of them. Maybe this is just my perception as a female, but then again maybe not. It's like Peter Griffin from Family Guy says, "Lois the only real fat people in the world are fat women". Funny, sad, and true all at the same time.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #25
James A Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
ok glad i'm not the only one, i'm out of touch i guess... i always thought mens health was like maxim for g@y dudes.
Guys, you can tell *** magazines easy, they have men with very large "packages" on the cover and the focus isn't on the abs. Trust me, I have a couple of *** friends and when you flick through those mags you have no doubt about what the target market is!

Anyway, men's health and men's fitness both focus on decidedly ungay topics like fast cars (occasionally) exercise equipment, trying to look like some bad a$$ UFC dude etc. Well at least the ones I have seen.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #26
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryann Rice View Post
Wow what a fascinating article! Had no idea eating disorders were on the rise for men. I think it may be a little blown out of proportion though, the pressures can't be anything like the past few decades of society telling women that their value as human beings is based solely on tiny waists and a willowy figure. These pressures come from everywhere and you can't escape them. They are all over the television, slathered all over billboards/adverts, pretty much any magazine I can think of. Not only that, I can't go to work or school or anywhere without hearing about it. It is so ingrained that many people don't even notice anymore. If a young, impressionable guy cracks open a Men's Health or Men's Fitness and then starts purging and doing all sorts of crazy **** to get those 6-pack abs or whatever, then he probably has a lot more serious and deep-rooted psychological issues that may stem from an abusive upbringing or something of that nature. I feel like all a guy has to do to avoid those kind of pressures is to not read those particular magazines. Easy enough, there aren't all that many of them. Maybe this is just my perception as a female, but then again maybe not. It's like Peter Griffin from Family Guy says, "Lois the only real fat people in the world are fat women". Funny, sad, and true all at the same time.
I think that's an anachronistic view to be honest. I think the pressures on young lads are immense and every bit as real as those on girls.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:42 AM   #27
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Hightower View Post
I'm sorry but my husband doesn't have much body hair (Good lord made him that way) and he's ALL MAN
I never suggested men who are naturally hairless are somehow not "all man"!!! Where is the "calm" emoticon when you need it? So please don't take my words out of context. Indeed there must be many naturally-hairless men who are much more "man" than some of these new breed of so-called "metrosexuals" or whatever.

I don't consider waxing your eyebrows "taking care of yourself". (in response to the guy who said waxes his eyebrows, sorry I don't know how to multiquote). I'm all for being a CLEAN person, so trimming your nails, brushing your teeth and stuff of this nature is perfectly acceptable for a guy. Waxing your eyebrows is not, but that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions...
Old 05-24-2011, 06:50 AM   #28
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Stevens View Post
Anyway, men's health and men's fitness both focus on decidedly ungay topics like fast cars (occasionally) exercise equipment, trying to look like some bad a$$ UFC dude etc. Well at least the ones I have seen.
i will take your word for it, but in my experience magazines with straight men as their target audience typically have cars, motorcycles, some sort of dead animal and guns, half naked (or full naked) women on the cover, not half naked men with rippling abs and a banana hammock on.

but i admittedly have never read one before so today at the gym i'll thumb through it since they have old copies laying around.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #29
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
I don't consider waxing your eyebrows "taking care of yourself". (in response to the guy who said waxes his eyebrows, sorry I don't know how to multiquote). I'm all for being a CLEAN person, so trimming your nails, brushing your teeth and stuff of this nature is perfectly acceptable for a guy. Waxing your eyebrows is not, but that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions...
Depends if you have crazy unruly unibrow or something... I wouldn't think that'd be any different than getting a hair cut, trimming your mustache or keeping your sideburns tidy.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #30
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
Depends if you have crazy unruly unibrow or something... I wouldn't think that'd be any different than getting a hair cut, trimming your mustache or keeping your sideburns tidy.
yeap, there is a unibrow clause that allows men to wax, pluck, trim their eyebrows. no one should be forced to go through life with a unibrow. i don't have a unibrow but i pluck the rogue hairs between the brows.