CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
Bradley Dyer

Profile:
Five Fingers vs Minimus trail vs Inov 8's

I know the topic of "which shoe is best" has been beaten to death and is largely a personal choice but I just wanted to hear some opinions with the recent addition of the NB Minimus added to the mix.

I am a newb to CrossFit and a "minimalist" shoe virgin so I am open to any and all suggestions. I had originally set out to get the new FF Komodo Sports, however, when reading the reviews very good arguments were made for both the Minimus and Inov-8s. I will mainly use them for WOD's and trail runs (I am not a big fan of pounding the pavement). Also, while on the topic of running, what do you guys think of the POSE method???

Any info would be greatly appreciated

-bd-
Old 05-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Marshall Flagg

Profile:
Re: Five Fingers vs Minimus trail vs Inov 8's

I am partial to my new NB Minimus over my VFFs. The VFFs are a giant PITA for me to put on. Either shoe should be approached with care if you have no barefoot running experience. It had been a while since I had been in my VFFs so when I got my Minimus my feet did fatigue after a long day in them including a WOD with 2 800 meter runs deadlifts and box jumps. I think the Minimus is a solid CF shoe. Plus you can wear the NB to the box without looking Dorky in the VFFS. I don't see my Nike Frees as ever being a CF shoe again.

MF
Old 05-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
John Viola

Profile:

Can't speak to the Inov8s except to say that they always seem to be sold out everywhere. I was and am a big VFF fan-I have 7 pairs in different flavors. I don't have the Minimus Trail but I do have the Merrell Trail Glove-a similar shoe. As you said, it does come down to personal preference, so take this FWIW.

The VFFs do take some getting used to, and the fit is not likely to be perfect. In some models, this is ok, in others it's not (my big toes are cramped in two pairs I have). And if you get just one pair, there is the dreaded VFF stink that is never truly eradicated, even if you wash them daily (you might have a different experience, of course, but there are huge threads in different websites about how to clean VFFs). All that said, I love mine, and have gotten used to the looks and questions. I don't mind being a little different.

The Merrells, though, are probably my favorite shoe. Ever. Light, airy, comfortable, and look enough like a "normal" shoe that you're not likely to get any puzzled stares. As much as I like my VFFs, it's great to have your toes free to move around unwrapped. They get a little smelly without socks as well, but if you're going down this road, it's something you have to accept and deal with. No socks=stink. Of course you can wear socks with any of these but it sort of defeats the purpose and is a downright PITA in VFFs.

Check out www.birthdayshoes.com (WFS) for more info than I could ever post. Tons of reviews and an active message board where the aforementioned huge VFF cleaning thread is.

Yes I might have a footwear issue.

Last edited by John Viola : 05-05-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
Jake Kozlowski

Profile:

Here's my review of the Merrell True Glove: Click Here WFS

No experience with VFF's but I do like my old school Nike Aquasocks for non running WODs.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
Jason R Smith

Profile:

Ok I'll bite:
Just ran with the Kansas City Trail Nerds in their Feb Psycho Wycho 50K in New Balance MT101's.

I own VFF Treks, VFF KSO, and now the Minimus Road & Trail.

IMHO go with MT101's if you get get a pair. I think they're like $75.
They have a nice rock stop plate for trial running and are fairly minimal in their support and heel drop.

Inov-8 also has some awesome products though I've never tried them so I'll refrain on any pros/cons there.

I cross in my VFFs and trail run in my MT101s. Trust me, just try to walk though the house with your mud/grass/blood/sweat covered trail shoes, you'll be happy you didn't multi purpose the footware!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Shawn M Smith

Profile:

I have both VFFs and the Minimus. I really like them both quite a bit and mix it up frequently. If you're totally new to minimalist shoes and can only afford to get one pair, I'd recommend starting with the Minimus, basically for the same reasons people have already stated.

That said, even if you're a good runner now, START SLOWLY running with minimalist shoes. You will be using calf muscles that you have never really stressed before and will get very sore in the beginning. However, over time I think that minimalist shoes will net you a big difference in terms of improving endurance and speed and reducing likelihood of knee and joint injury.

Also, minimalist shoes will sort of force you to run in a more POSE-like style, but working on some of these drills as you make the transition might be helpful for you:

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...technique.html

(safe for everyone, everywhere, everytime)
Old 05-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
Bradley Dyer

Profile:

Hey guys, thanks for all the info! So after calling all over town I finally found a place with a pair of Minimus in stock so I drove 45 min to get them only to find out that my foot is too damn wide (or the shoe is too damn narrow) so they are now officially out of the mix. With the Minimus gone I am now considering the Merrel trail glove. The NB MT 101 seem to be a popular but it's not much of a "minimalist" shoe. I feel like I am back at square one.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
Craig Rogers

Profile:

i know it is not on the list but i love my Brooks Greens. Hopefully fathers day will i will get a pair to replace my sambas as my every day wear shoes.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
Keith Homfeldt

Profile:

I love my Inov8 195s. Based on conversations with guys that have VFF's, I felt that they were the best for both CF and longer runs.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:27 AM   #10
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Dyer View Post
Hey guys, thanks for all the info! So after calling all over town I finally found a place with a pair of Minimus in stock so I drove 45 min to get them only to find out that my foot is too damn wide (or the shoe is too damn narrow) so they are now officially out of the mix. With the Minimus gone I am now considering the Merrel trail glove. The NB MT 101 seem to be a popular but it's not much of a "minimalist" shoe. I feel like I am back at square one.
That's too bad. I have a pretty wide foot as well. The Minis do stretch and work for me.