CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Neal Smith

Profile:
Exclamation DOMS / Soreness

Anyone have any great DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness) stories?

Here's mine:

Did the baseline (I haven't worked out in over 2 months). My legs have always been weak (i'm 6-7 so that doesn't help) after 500 m row and 40 air squats my legs were completely shot. Could hardly walk. The next day I was pretty sore but still functional. The next day was a completely different story. I couldn't even bend my legs let alone put pressure (i.e. lay down) on them. For the next 5 days i was walking around like frankenstein, it took 5 min to get enough mobility to basically fall into a seat lol.

It took me a week but i got back in the gym, it's been 3 weeks of crossfit and I love it... I've been plenty sore but warming up properly, staying hydrated and stretching after insures that I keep the DOMS at bay
Old 04-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Jim White

Profile:
Re: DOMS / Soreness

Since nobody else answered I'll give a shot-

That "baseline" sounds like it was way too much for you coming off the couch. But you lived and came back!

I wanted to jump right into working out 5x a week but my body has told me that 3x is all it can handle right now. My DOMS peaks about 36 hours after a workout. It seems if I push so hard that I can't do a workout two days later then I need to let up. On the other hand if I don't feel anything the next day maybe I didn't try enough? Or maybe that's when I should start doing more workouts.

That's the opinion of a 45 year old Crossfit beginner.

So, for those of you well into Crossfit, do you still get the same degree of DOMS?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
Daniel Sont

Profile:

My first ever crossfit workout consisted of
10 pike-ups on the minute for 5 minutes...

and then some more stuff including 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 of Knee-To-Elbows

My abs were fine when i was there... but after that they were sore for a week. Getting out of bed required some fancy manoeuvring.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Walker Fenz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Sont View Post
My first ever crossfit workout consisted of
10 pike-ups on the minute for 5 minutes...

and then some more stuff including 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 of Knee-To-Elbows

My abs were fine when i was there... but after that they were sore for a week. Getting out of bed required some fancy manoeuvring.
It upsets me to think there is a Trainer out there who thought this was an acceptable beginner workout.

@Jim - I have been crossfitting for almost two years and I still get sore. I try to take care of myself (mobility WODs/stretching, foam rolling, fish oil, etc) but every so often there will be a WOD that kills me. Anything invoving weighted or jumping lunges comes to mind.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
Steve Bray

Profile:

i always get DOMS after an intense workout. especially if i do like an hour long strength and conditioning circuit!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
Karen Hayes

Profile:

It has been 1 and 1/2 years of Crossfit and DOMS occurs like clockwork 36 hours after a good workout. Today, it is my abs and pecs Lots of stretching and eating and drinking right seems to help but, I'm always a little sore.
http://nevertooldforcrossfit.blogspot.com/
Old 04-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
Jay McElligott

Profile:

I recall one workout we did, it was 400M walking lunges with a #25 plate overhead. Took a whole week before I could walk without pain.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Severe DOMS isn't a badge of honor any more than puking during a workout or torn hands are...it doesn't mean you went hard, it means you went stupid and as a result you prevented yourself from being able to make any progress for the next week. Scaling to avoid the DOMS so you can still train on two of the next three days makes a lot more sense.

Like several people who are far smarter than me have said, there's a difference between "let's get sweaty and sore" and "let's train intelligently." Getting sweaty and sore doesn't do anything for you, but training intelligently puts you on a logical progression towards your goals.

I'm not playing holier than thou and saying I've never overdone it...I'm just saying that on the occasions where I have, I've been mad at myself for messing up my upcoming workouts rather than being proud for making myself too sore to walk.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Agree with Eric.

Soreness is bad and I avoid it whenever possible.

You will see the most progress when you are consistent with your training (and I don't mean consistently sore). If you consistently hit workouts that are challenging but not overtaxing, it will provide your body with enough stimulus to adapt, but not too much stimulus that it gets destroyed. Do this every day, and you will see lots of improvement.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #10
Jessica S Roberts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Severe DOMS isn't a badge of honor any more than puking during a workout or torn hands are...it doesn't mean you went hard, it means you went stupid and as a result you prevented yourself from being able to make any progress for the next week. Scaling to avoid the DOMS so you can still train on two of the next three days makes a lot more sense.

Like several people who are far smarter than me have said, there's a difference between "let's get sweaty and sore" and "let's train intelligently." Getting sweaty and sore doesn't do anything for you, but training intelligently puts you on a logical progression towards your goals.

I'm not playing holier than thou and saying I've never overdone it...I'm just saying that on the occasions where I have, I've been mad at myself for messing up my upcoming workouts rather than being proud for making myself too sore to walk.

Example: I've been doing CF for a year and am a level one trainer but, I don't kid myself to think I'm a superstar or even anywhere close to it!! I actually have recently cut myself back to CF 4 days a week because I wasn't recovering well and having a hard time doing the WODS as intense as I could. I also have cut back on the weight. I wanted to lift "hard and heavy" but it wasn't working for me.

I've had to learn to train "intelligently" for me. I'm a very busy 34-year old, full-time working mom of a very active kid and unfortunately, I'm not that 20-yr old college volleyball player anymore . I would love to do every WOD Rx but, I would only be able to workout like once a week because I'd be to sore!! It doesn't mean that I don't go hard but, it means I do what is best for me. That's the beauty of CrossFit. You can change it up to work for you!

Yesterday's WOD (open wod 11.5) I dropped the PC to 65lbs, did V-sits (shoulder issue from reconstructive surgery and can't really swing to well on the bars) and then did the wall balls as Rx. Wasn't prescribed but, I went hard, got a great workout and don't feel too terribly sore today. I mean I can feel it but, I'm getting ready to go workout now!

Just be smart and build gradually into your CrossFit abilities.