CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-26-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
Shane Hanner

Profile:
Is there any use in training with a wieght vest on. I used my friends the other day, and it was really secure and comfortable. Any benefits or just more strain on the knees and legs?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
Thomas Grippo

Profile:
It's a good progression for > load after bw only exercises like pull-ups and box jumps, and the weight is distributed evenly across upper torso. When doing box jumps w/db it's hard to generate momentum w/arms, and holding db between legs/feet for pull-ups can be cumbersome. Look at it as just another useful tool for your tool box!
Old 11-26-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
James Falkner

Profile:
In my opinion... weight vests are great for short distances (say, 800m or less) interval training or sprinting or running up hills. They are NOT good for "base mileage" or traditional distance running. The point of distance running for me and most competitive runners is to run certain distances faster over time (e.g. make my 10k time lower). Sure it helps to be stronger, but distance running is mostly about training your body to run more efficiently. Weight vests tend to change your biomechanics, so when you take it off you run differently, so it's better (again.. my opinion) to do distance running without it, and save it for the short stuff (getting stronger for a better "kick" at the end, going up hills, etc).

It also stresses your body more, so if you use one, make sure to progress slowly and let your body adapt.