CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
Corey Mills

Profile:
Improving Burpee Times

Has anyone out there has success with a particular Burpee routine for either maximizing your Burpees or improving your times? I have been doing 50 Burpees every workout for about 2 weeks (4 times a week) hoping they get better but they don't. My best time at 50 Burpees is 3:11. Lately I have been doing 5- 6 sets of 10 as fast as possible with rest in between. My best recent time for 10 have been about 12 seconds. When I get to my 3,4,5, sets the time doubles.
Am I doing the right thing to increase my times and reps or is there something else out there thats works better? I would eventually like to work my way up to 100 Burpees without needing medical attention.

A little background- 42yo 6'2 230lbs athletic, recently (within the last month) been eating pretty strict paleo (95-98%)

Thanks
Old 01-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Corey Borolien

Profile:
Re: Improving Burpee Times

Do the 100 day burpee challenge. I went from dreading them to being able to rip through them pretty fast.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Borolien View Post
Do the 100 day burpee challenge. I went from dreading them to being able to rip through them pretty fast.
+1 to that
Old 01-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
Corey Mills

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Borolien View Post
Thanks Corey, I will start tomorrow. With a name like that you can't be wrong...
Old 01-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Robert Stone

Profile:

Yeah, I hate burpees too. I'm on day 11 of the burpee challenge. I heard this would help so I went for it. So far still hate them....
Old 01-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

I know a few people who attempted the burpee challenge and dropped out before the end due to the feeling of overuse injuries coming on. Working the same motion every day goes against the principles of the rest day and with the back to back high volume days at the end it can add up. Every other training program incorporates rest days so I think a burpee regimen should as well. Feel free to try it but listen to your body.

Doing lots of burpees fast requires a fast pushup, efficient deep air squat and good cardio (for lack of a better term). For me, the pushup is by far the weak part and gives out before the rest. I think that my time would be better spent training pushups to improve my burpee than doing burpees. YMMV

Depending on how much you are allowed to cheat the burpee motion you can speed it up by making it more efficient. Worming the pushup to the feet instead of doing a strict pushup is a big one. If you spread your feet really wide you can minimize the lever of the pushup and the distance of the squat. The jump should just barely leave the ground and can be made smaller by arching the back and lifting your feet up behind you. Slamming your body on the ground gets rid of the negative motion of the pushup.

I saw some crazy fast burpees and the Taranis Winter Challenge and couldn't help but think that it wasn't what the inventor of the exercise had in mind but hey, they stayed within the guidelines given...
Old 01-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Adding 60lbs to my Bench Press and 50lbs to my squat also helped my burpees. They now feel much quicker and more explosive despite the 15lbs I've gained. I haven't tested lately to see how much I've improved but they definitely feel better.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Are there standards for burpees? (For instance, do you have to squat down then get into pushup position?)

The thing that helped me do them faster is this:

Instead of squatting down to do them... I land on my toes after jumping at the tail end of the previous one, immediately kick my legs out behind me and basically belly flop on the floor. This is obviously easier/safer when doing them on a mat but I do them on concrete because I lack discretion.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 AM   #9
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schechterly View Post
Are there standards for burpees? (For instance, do you have to squat down then get into pushup position?)

The thing that helped me do them faster is this:

Instead of squatting down to do them... I land on my toes after jumping at the tail end of the previous one, immediately kick my legs out behind me and basically belly flop on the floor. This is obviously easier/safer when doing them on a mat but I do them on concrete because I lack discretion.
I'm sure some locations have standards in the middle (in part due to a main site video on burpees). However, the games seem to have a simple chest to ground, feet leave the ground with clap above the head being a complete rep. What can really standardize it is putting a bar or rope 1" to 12" above your reach helps cut down on slack reps.

About improving burpees, doing a six round tabata with them once a week can help too.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Mills View Post
My best recent time for 10 have been about 12 seconds.

Maybe it's just me, but 1.2 seconds per burpee is blazing fast.. almost unrealsitically so.