CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #21
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: coughing and phlegm build up after workout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Intense aerobic workouts cause the capillaries of the blood-gas barrier to burst, literally. This causes a little bit of blood to flow into your lungs, which causes copper taste and coughing.
They don't burst....

Backup from the bloodflow pushes fluid out into the lungs (since they're semipermeable). It's more like the clear stuff you would see when your scab is leaking the clear plasma

If they burst that would REALLY suck in a life threatening kind of way.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #22
Troy Becker

Profile:

Either way, I'm assuming that the more you do it the more your body adapts to it in the lungs and then it stops happening so much, yeah?

Also, anyone know why exactly cold air does it more?
Old 12-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #23
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
Either way, I'm assuming that the more you do it the more your body adapts to it in the lungs and then it stops happening so much, yeah?

Well, your heart capacity improves, so yeah.

Pulmonary edema is a back up of blood flow that leads to icnreased pressure forcing fluid out,

if theres a back up of blood flow in the lungs its because the L ventricle aint pushing out enough to keep up with your body's need for cardiac output.

thus, heart will likely hypertrophy and stretch a bit more.

Cold air = bronchoconstriction = constriction leads to increased pressure = increased pressure forces more fluid out into the lungs
Old 12-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #24
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Double post

Last edited by Brent Sallee : 12-08-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #25
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post

Well, if it's edema, then the body will improve heart function and fix this problem. If it's asthma, then damage is actually being done to the lining of the lungs.

Also, asthma is known best for causing bronchospasms in cold, dry air. The dry air running over the bronchi leaches moisture from the lining and the cold simply decreases compliance and ability to expand appropriately.

On top of that, sputum post-exercise is never normal. Exercise induced asthma is THE MOST COMMON respiratory issue amount active individuals. It's also very easily treatable.

To address some earlier statements: allergic asthma (such as childhood asthma) does not work the same way as exercise-induced asthma. Allergic asthma has to do with an immune response to airborne particles (dander, pollen, dust, etc). Also, how active has Scott been throughout his life? Has he pushed himself as hard as he does with CF? Exercise-induced asthma is intensity dependent. So no, it's not a surprise that he hasn't had symptoms of asthma before this.

Last edited by Brent Sallee : 12-08-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #26
Scott Hallas

Profile:

wanted to say thanks to everyone who took the time to respond and provide input. As the weeks have been going on it is happening less and less. I took a week off as I had a bad case of sinusitis, got back to it this week and Mondays workout left me in a crumpled heap. Even with those circumstances I did not experience the severe coughing or phlegm issues as I had the first 6 weeks. I also think the person who mentioned the cold weather may be on to something in my case. I noticed the symptoms the worst on days when I did running outside before workouts. Not a long run but in 20 degree weather with just shorts and a t-shirt on so maybe something with the air... dont know. But like I said it seems to be getting better as the weeks pass.