CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Subway Questions

If you are dying for a sandwich you can do double meat on a 6" instead of normal meat on a 12" and get your protein to carbohydrate ratio higher. As stated, you can do stuff like this to get the macro nutrient ratios all right. Not as good as a salad with a bed of spinach, of course, but you can only eat so many of those salads.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #12
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Chipotle is where it's at for me.. they're meat is hormone/antibiotic free.

I usually get a bowl or salad [just like a bowl but w/lettuce included] and I hold the rice and beans, add onions and bell peppers, double meat [or two kinds, usually pork and steak], no cheese or sour cream and some guacamole for a few bucks more. Sometimes when I wanna loosen up I'll add a little cheese or beans.

But you don't have to paleo-ize your stuff like I did if you're not a paleo eater, it's still a better choice because theyre food doesn't have a bunch of added crap. I'd say keep the beans and cheese but pick one between the rice or the tortilla.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:36 AM   #13
Jacob Hurd

Profile:

Man Yahya you made me hungry. I might have to change my lunch for today.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:25 AM   #14
Blaine Cardinale

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
Chipotle is where it's at for me.. they're meat is hormone/antibiotic free.

I usually get a bowl or salad [just like a bowl but w/lettuce included] and I hold the rice and beans, add onions and bell peppers, double meat [or two kinds, usually pork and steak], no cheese or sour cream and some guacamole for a few bucks more. Sometimes when I wanna loosen up I'll add a little cheese or beans.

But you don't have to paleo-ize your stuff like I did if you're not a paleo eater, it's still a better choice because theyre food doesn't have a bunch of added crap. I'd say keep the beans and cheese but pick one between the rice or the tortilla.
My wife loves Chipolte, so whenever we go by one she has to get a snack (isn't often, but happens). I will usually snag a guacamole and eat it with a spoon, while she uses chips (when I can't make her feel guilty enough). Great stuff!
Old 09-30-2010, 06:41 AM   #15
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gibson View Post
Whoa that is sobering information...I feel like I just found out santa clause doesn't exist Subway is one of my favorite places to eat and I was convinced up until about 5 minutes ago that it was a reasonably healthy place to eat!
Quite honestly, I think it's fairly reasonable to assume that there is essentially no fast-food out there that is healthy for you, including Subway. Could you do worse? Sure, but the overwhelming majority of these places are in business to maximize their profit, which typically means low-grade ingredients, highly processed, and highly preserved.

- Mark
Old 09-30-2010, 06:56 AM   #16
Tim Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
No, Santa Claus doesn't exist.
Katherine
Old 09-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #17
Tom Jones Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gibson View Post
I love eating at subway. I frequently get this kind of sandwich - foot long chicken breast on 9-grain honey oat bread, pepper jack cheese, spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, banana peppers, bell peppers, oil and vinegar and salt and pepper. I wash it down with an unsweet tea. Sometimes I will get regular sun chips, depending on how hungry I feel. How does a meal like this rank nutrition wise? According to the zone diet, approximately how many blocks of protein, carbs and fat would this have? Is this a smart option to consistently get (almost daily basis)? Is there anything I should be aware regarding the nutritional content of a subway meal like this? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

lol....no. Eat it once a week, whatever it won't hurt, but once a day, no. Every aspect of their food is full of crap that you wouldn't want going into your body if you had any sanity.

Last edited by Tom Jones Jr : 09-30-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #18
Bill Gibson

Profile:

I am glad to see that chipotle isn't getting any flak for it's nutritional content. I love that place! Chipotle is quite the consolation prize for not eating at subway...in fact I thought that chipotle had less overall nutritional value than subway...go figure!
Old 10-01-2010, 12:11 AM   #19
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
If I have to eat out and eat something healthy, I go for the ethnic places. I usually order whatever meat and vegetable plate they have, and ask them to hold the rice. Chinese places are hit/miss, but Pakistani, Indian, Afghan, Turkish, and Arab places are where it's at!
Second this suggestion. Smaller family-run ethnic places often have both excellent food and very reasonable prices.

Although, keep in mind that Shane is in New York. This suggestion may not work as well in places where "Mexican food" means Taco Bell.

Katherine
Old 10-01-2010, 06:52 AM   #20
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

There is a grocery store near my office that has a make-your-own-salad.
My salads usually come out to around 3 lbs. Little lettus, little spinnach, lots of eggs, chicken, peppers, onions...