CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Bill Gibson

Profile:
Subway Questions

I love eating at subway. I frequently get this kind of sandwich - foot long chicken breast on 9-grain honey oat bread, pepper jack cheese, spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, banana peppers, bell peppers, oil and vinegar and salt and pepper. I wash it down with an unsweet tea. Sometimes I will get regular sun chips, depending on how hungry I feel. How does a meal like this rank nutrition wise? According to the zone diet, approximately how many blocks of protein, carbs and fat would this have? Is this a smart option to consistently get (almost daily basis)? Is there anything I should be aware regarding the nutritional content of a subway meal like this? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Subway Questions

I doubt anyone here would really advocate eating it on any sort of regular basis, and of course there is pretty much no alignment with paleo in there between the grains, soy, salt, etc etc.. I personally would probably think twice before eating chicken that includes "chicken type flavor" as an ingredient as well, but *shrug* I guess for fast food you could absolutely do worse.

Have a look at the ingredients/nutrition facts, do you consider this acceptable within your diet?

HONEY OAT BREAD Subway® Wheat Bread, honey oat topping (organic cane juice solids, rolled
oats, diced soy nuts, honey solids, wheat starch, sunflower oil, salt, caramel color, and natural flavor).
Contains soy and wheat

CHICKEN BREAST PATTY Chicken breast with rib meat, water, seasoning (corn syrup solids, vinegar
powder [maltodextrin, modified corn starch and tapioca starch, dried vinegar], brown sugar, salt,
dextrose, garlic powder, onion powder, chicken type flavor [hydrolyzed corn gluten, autolyzed yeast
extract, thiamine hydrochloride, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate]), sodium phosphates.

Honey Oat Bread (this is just the roll) Serving Size (6in)
Calories: 260
Calories From Fat: 25
Total Fat: 3.0
Saturated Fat: 0.5
Trans Fats: 0
Cholesterol: 0
Sodium: 430
Carbohydrates: 49
Dietary Fiber: 5
Sugars: 8
Protein: 9
Vitamin A: 0
Vitamin C: 0
Calcium: 4
Iron: 15
Old 09-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Bill Gibson

Profile:

Whoa that is sobering information...I feel like I just found out santa clause doesn't exist Subway is one of my favorite places to eat and I was convinced up until about 5 minutes ago that it was a reasonably healthy place to eat! What would be more nutritionally sound choices at subway instead of the honey oat bread and the chicken breast?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

If you must....have a grilled chicken breast salad instead.

Last edited by Veronica Carpenter : 09-29-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gibson View Post
Whoa that is sobering information...I feel like I just found out santa clause doesn't exist Subway is one of my favorite places to eat and I was convinced up until about 5 minutes ago that it was a reasonably healthy place to eat! What would be more nutritionally sound choices at subway instead of the honey oat bread and the chicken breast?
On the weekend, roast a whole chicken (ingredients: chicken, maybe some herbs) and bake a loaf of bread (ingredients:flour, water, salt, yeast). Use these ingredients to make sandwiches for bag lunches during the week.

No, Santa Claus doesn't exist. As fast food goes, Subway isn't bad, but it's still mass-produced fast food.

Katherine
Old 09-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Bill Gibson

Profile:

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 09-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

I eat Subway once a week or so. I usually get a 6" turkey with double meat. I always have them scoop out as much bread as possible, so it's basically just a thin shell holding everything together. Not too bad and only $4.00.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
Mike Mallory

Profile:

I'm with Rebecca, Subway is super gnarly......I'm definitely in the no-excuse-for-eating-that-garbage crowd, for a myriad of reasons.

You can reasonably fit into some decent macronutrient parameters, but everything is of such tremendously low quality, that it does almost for you as far as nutrition goes.

An organic chicken costs like 10 bucks, and makes quite a bit of chicken salad.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
Ryan Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gibson View Post
I love eating at subway. I frequently get this kind of sandwich - foot long chicken breast on 9-grain honey oat bread, pepper jack cheese, spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, banana peppers, bell peppers, oil and vinegar and salt and pepper. I wash it down with an unsweet tea. Sometimes I will get regular sun chips, depending on how hungry I feel. How does a meal like this rank nutrition wise?
Better than a Big Mac, worse than an organic greens salad with grilled chicken. At least you're getting all the veggies and stuff. I personally wouldn't make it an everyday thing, but maybe couple times a month. Maybe try getting the "salad" without the sandwich roll?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
Shane Skowron

Profile:

If I have to eat out and eat something healthy, I go for the ethnic places. I usually order whatever meat and vegetable plate they have, and ask them to hold the rice. Chinese places are hit/miss, but Pakistani, Indian, Afghan, Turkish, and Arab places are where it's at!

I stopped eating at Subway because of the above reasons. But as Veronica said, grilled chicken salad is probably the best you can do.