CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
Justin C. Howell

Profile:
Rucking with CF and 2011 Bataan Prep

I didn't know if this was more appropiate to posted in the Comp. Category. Me and my buddy want to try at the 2011 Bataan Death March in the heavy division. We have been CFitting for about a month and go on a schedule of Monday, Tuesday, Wed. - OFF day, and then back on for Thursday/Friday. I'd like to start ruck marching, because I just enjoy doing it from my college ROTC days and also in order to prepare for the Bataan even though it is a ways out. Due to our Work Schedules, we can only manage 1 Ruck per week on the weekends and I was just wanting to get some people's past experience with the Bataan Prep. I have some people say do the CF endurance with Rucking, but everything I was told as a wannabe soldier in college and alot of military is do not run with the ruck. I was thinking of doing a 3 week type cycle:

Week 1- 5 miles
Week 2 -2-3 hours of walking up and down overpass Hill
Week 3 - 10 miles

The progession I was thinking of was increasing the Week 1 mileage by 2 miles each cycle and then the week 3 mileage will be double that. For the week 2 hills - keep the time the same, but increase the weight by 10 pounds every 3 week cycle. So the next cycle would be Week 1: 7 Miles, Week 2 - 35 pound pack hills for 2-3 hours, Week 3: 14 miles.

When I get up to 25 miles on the week 3 cycle, I will increase the weight to 35 pounds for week 1 & 3. My plan is to get up to 55-60 for all the weeks (minus H20 weight) to help prepare for the altitude change in New Mexico and the hills as well. If this makes sense let me know. I hope some military guys and some past Bataan Marchers can chime in.

We plan on continuing to CF on our current 4 day work week schedule and as the Bataan gets closer next winter possible drop it back to 3 days a week. Again thanks for any response.

And to all the veterans out there, thank you for your service on this Memorial Day Weekend.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Brad Carney

Profile:
Re: Rucking with CF and 2011 Bataan Prep

In terms of rucking, the book "Get Selected" has a really good program to get you ready for something like SF selection.

It will defiantly get you ready for this, and the proceeds from every book sold go to the Wounded Warrior Foundation I believe.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
Justin C. Howell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Carney View Post
In terms of rucking, the book "Get Selected" has a really good program to get you ready for something like SF selection.

It will defiantly get you ready for this, and the proceeds from every book sold go to the Wounded Warrior Foundation I believe.
Yeah, I have explored those types of books, Stew Smith's stuff (which is good), and the actual SFAS Q course workout. The big enemy is time. I have a two commute every day and there is just no way to push in a another ruck during the work week. Alot of people hate ruck marching, but I found when I was in from little time in college ROTC that I almost found it relaxing, a kind of way to turn the mind off and just go. Thanks for the info. Have you done the Bataan?
Old 05-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
Brad Carney

Profile:

No, just in the military. Sounds like somethin I will deff. do in the future though.

Depends on how far the commute is....could you ruck it instead of driving?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Nathan Spreitler

Profile:

I did Bataan in March. It is tough.

My team didn't get as much training as we would have liked, but that was just because trying to do long ruck marchs during a Colorado winter with lots of snow and ice was challenging. We did usually get in two rucks a week with a short 5-8 mile ruck and a 12-20 miler.

The first 8 miles of the course are pretty easy and the crowd is still together which is really cool. After that it gets harder.

You have to train on hills, the course is uphill from about mile 8 to mile 14 and even though it isn't a steep incline it still wears on you. After 14 a good portion of the downhill is a shallow descent with some rolling hills. About 18 you come back out on hardball and it isn't too bad for a few miles. At mile 20 or so you hit the sand pit, and that is brutal. It is a couple miles of ankle deep loose sand and by that point you are worn out so it makes it worse. Mile 22 to the finish are on easy terrain, but that is a long four miles.

If you can only ruck once a week the biggest thing is conditioning your feet. I saw several people that were probably in very good shape drop out for really nasty blisters. Invest in some good boot socks, I use Fox River socks and only had a couple small blisters. I also knew where I tend to get blisters and covered those spots with mole skin before stepping off.

Make sure you vary the terrain, concrete and dirt trails are very different.

Beyond that drink lots of water, bring sunscreen and have a great time.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
Justin C. Howell

Profile:

Quote:
No, just in the military. Sounds like somethin I will deff. do in the future though.

Depends on how far the commute is....could you ruck it instead of driving?
That be a big negative. It's about 45 miles one way.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
Justin C. Howell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Spreitler View Post
I did Bataan in March. It is tough.

My team didn't get as much training as we would have liked, but that was just because trying to do long ruck marchs during a Colorado winter with lots of snow and ice was challenging. We did usually get in two rucks a week with a short 5-8 mile ruck and a 12-20 miler.

The first 8 miles of the course are pretty easy and the crowd is still together which is really cool. After that it gets harder.

You have to train on hills, the course is uphill from about mile 8 to mile 14 and even though it isn't a steep incline it still wears on you. After 14 a good portion of the downhill is a shallow descent with some rolling hills. About 18 you come back out on hardball and it isn't too bad for a few miles. At mile 20 or so you hit the sand pit, and that is brutal. It is a couple miles of ankle deep loose sand and by that point you are worn out so it makes it worse. Mile 22 to the finish are on easy terrain, but that is a long four miles.

If you can only ruck once a week the biggest thing is conditioning your feet. I saw several people that were probably in very good shape drop out for really nasty blisters. Invest in some good boot socks, I use Fox River socks and only had a couple small blisters. I also knew where I tend to get blisters and covered those spots with mole skin before stepping off.

Make sure you vary the terrain, concrete and dirt trails are very different.

Beyond that drink lots of water, bring sunscreen and have a great time.

That's why I thought I'd start a kind of prep now. Yeah, the hills I have a feeling are going to be the challenge due to the fact of the there isn't rolling country here in Kansas, but we do have a lot of long dirt roads. I have found from past sports such as football and my past limited rucking experience is that if I wear double socks and apply tape to my heals and to the sides of my feet next to my big toes, it has greatly if not stopped the blisters. I figured that progression of increasing the stripped down weight to 55-60 pounds would help with the endurance. I also want to start way ahead of the crowd, because winters here can be brutal.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
Justin C. Howell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin C. Howell View Post
That's why I thought I'd start a kind of prep now. Yeah, the hills I have a feeling are going to be the challenge due to the fact of the there isn't rolling country here in Kansas, but we do have a lot of long dirt roads. I have found from past sports such as football and my past limited rucking experience is that if I wear double socks and apply tape to my heals and to the sides of my feet next to my big toes, it has greatly if not stopped the blisters. I figured that progression of increasing the stripped down weight to 55-60 pounds would help with the endurance. I also want to start way ahead of the crowd, because winters here can be brutal.
----- Are there any possible ways to toughen up the feet as well. I have thought of wearing my boots to work in order to break them in a little quicker than just a once a week wearing.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:02 AM   #9
Brad Carney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin C. Howell View Post
----- Are there any possible ways to toughen up the feet as well. I have thought of wearing my boots to work in order to break them in a little quicker than just a once a week wearing.
Rucking will. I would deff. wear your boots around if they aren't already broken in. I couldn't imagine rucking in boots that aren't. Also i was talking to Carl Borg at the Endurance Cert, and we talked quite a bit about rucking. Make sure you have good posture while rucking, that seems to be a HUGE issue in the MIL community.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
Justin C. Howell

Profile:

Quote:
Rucking will. I would deff. wear your boots around if they aren't already broken in. I couldn't imagine rucking in boots that aren't. Also i was talking to Carl Borg at the Endurance Cert, and we talked quite a bit about rucking. Make sure you have good posture while rucking, that seems to be a HUGE issue in the MIL community.

Yeah, this is true. My older brother was a former scout platoon leader and he said the key is keep your feet under you and don't drive for a long stride, but quick short steps and always keep the weight in the high ruck high so it rides more on the shoulders. I know military guys don't have a choice, but are civ. hiking boots a good alt. to the array of military/LE type boots?