CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #21
Kevin Simons

Profile:
Re: Kevin's Log

One month of my own programming down. I saw some great progress and learned a bit along the way.

For the next few months I will focus primarily on strength and power. Emphasis on Olympic lifting, raw strength days, brutally heavy but short metcons, sprinting, and just enough longer stuff to maintain my endurance.

I'm going to be doing a lot of heavy lifting and some two-a-days, so until I am sure that I will be able to adequately recover I will start with 3ON/1OFF/2ON/1OFF. The basic schedule will be as follows, but I am sure I will be making adjustments as I go along.

Day 1: Heavy Metcon (Linda, Bear Complex, King Kong etc.) + parallette work
Day 2: Light Metcon or Tabata (alternating weekly) + Heavy Sled Drags
Day 3: -Rest-
Day 4: Olympic Lifting + Squats (OHS, Front)
Day 5: Deadlift or Press 3x5 + short metcon (usually a girl)
Day 6: Some type of Sprint Intervals (100m, 200m, 400m) + Light Sled Drag
Day 7: -Rest-

Anybody have some thoughts about this? Any glaring oversights I could be missing?

I'm excited! I have been having good results with the added strength work and heavy metcons, and this just steps it up another notch. I'm also looking forward to adding some sprinting into the program; I think it will complement the heavy stuff really well and it is an area I have lots of room to improve in. Quick gains are always fun! The sled is something I have really missed since starting CrossFit. After watching the video with Louie Simmons, I decided I had to add them back in. It is pretty amazing what that thing will do for your squat numbers.

I'm going to enjoy my much-deserved rest day tomorrow, then hit Queen Elizabeth on hard Saturday. Good times!
m 23 5'7" 192 lbs. Angie 9:13, Grace @ 225lbs 4:15, Elizabeth 3:40, Fran 2:09, King Kong 2:11, Back Squat 505, Deadlift 505, Press 235, C+J 325, Snatch 255. Log | YouTube
Old 04-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #22
Kevin Simons

Profile:

I posted this in Fitness, but it sort of belongs here as well:

Iím looking for advice on some long term programming. I wasnít able to make it to sectionals this year due to injury, but I want to be a contender in 2011. I have only been CrossFitting since the end of the summer and donít have any real experience with periodization in this sport. I have learned a few things I think should be relevant:

-Strength/power takes the longest to develop and can be retained relatively easily.
-Metcon ability = easy come, easy go. It took me about 3-4 months to really develop what I think is close to adequate for couplets/triplets.
-Endurance, from what I have read, can be almost fully developed in about 6 months of hard training. It can compromise strength training though. And I hate it, lol.
-Building work capacity to complete multiple events in one day- I really donít know how long this takes..? Any experience? I am guessing that intensity is likely to suffer, however, and probably shouldnít be done long term.

What sort of progressions would you guys recommend over the course of the next few months?

What I am pretty sure of:

Movements will always be functional, constantly varied, executed at high intensity. I will always be working through all energy systems, the only thing that really changes is the emphasis of the cycle.

I think I will start with a focus on strength, power, and top end speed because they are the slowest to develop. Olympic lifting, some power lifting, sled drags, short and brutal heavy metcons, and a bunch of sprint work of different intervals on the track and C2. Always with the emphasis of adding more weight, not more volume, with just enough metcons and lighter stuff to maintain my current levels. This is what I'm doing now, check out my log.

When I get my maxes up where I want them, I think I will gradually start working in more volume and longer workouts with those heavy weights. Gradual progression back to Crossfit duration WODs with heavy weights.

About 4-5 months out I will start working back to lighter more CrossFit type weights at break-neck speeds to really develop my metabolic conditioning. I may even go back to mainsite to make sure I donít have any glaring weaknesses. Just enough additional strength work to maintain.

1-2 months out my max outputs should be about where I want them, and I can start doing two or three-a-days to prepare for the games. Iíll most likely just do a sectional every cycle. I am thinking something like 2On/2Off to ensure adequate recovery.

1 week out- some light stuff to maintain levels and totally rest up for the competition.

Iím not really sure where to work the longer stuff in (the 5ks, 10ks etc.).
----------
Like I said though, I donít have any real experience with this. I just came up with this based off my own (limited) experiences, a bunch of theory Iíve read on the boards, and some textbooks. If anybody has experience training athletes or preparing for the games themselves, please help me out. What has worked well, what hasnít? What am I missing?
m 23 5'7" 192 lbs. Angie 9:13, Grace @ 225lbs 4:15, Elizabeth 3:40, Fran 2:09, King Kong 2:11, Back Squat 505, Deadlift 505, Press 235, C+J 325, Snatch 255. Log | YouTube
Old 04-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #23
Kevin Simons

Profile:

Heavy Elizabeth

15-12-9
185# Squat Cleans
45# Ring Dips

8:44 - with an extra clean because I can't count

Brutal but fun. I wish I had pushed myself just a little harder, but it was my first time and I needed to feel it out. I am really enjoying these heavy metcons though, short and sweet. I think I'll keep adding weight to this until I go over 10 minutes. I'd like to eventually work up to 225; I think that would be really impressive. I'll post today's video when it's done uploading.

Note to self: Pulling a sled 4k and then sprinting 400m repeats the same day is not a brilliant idea. My calves and tibialis anterior are still incredibly sore two days later and probably compromised this WOD. Next time I should switch the order and reduce the distance on the drag until I can handle it.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #24
Kevin Simons

Profile:

Heavy Elizabeth video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pimQLLJDG0 (WFS)
Old 04-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #25
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Simons View Post
One month of my own programming down. I saw some great progress and learned a bit along the way.

For the next few months I will focus primarily on strength and power. Emphasis on Olympic lifting, raw strength days, brutally heavy but short metcons, sprinting, and just enough longer stuff to maintain my endurance.

I'm going to be doing a lot of heavy lifting and some two-a-days, so until I am sure that I will be able to adequately recover I will start with 3ON/1OFF/2ON/1OFF. The basic schedule will be as follows, but I am sure I will be making adjustments as I go along.

Anybody have some thoughts about this? Any glaring oversights I could be missing?

I'm excited! I have been having good results with the added strength work and heavy metcons, and this just steps it up another notch. I'm also looking forward to adding some sprinting into the program; I think it will complement the heavy stuff really well and it is an area I have lots of room to improve in. Quick gains are always fun! The sled is something I have really missed since starting CrossFit. After watching the video with Louie Simmons, I decided I had to add them back in. It is pretty amazing what that thing will do for your squat numbers.

I'm going to enjoy my much-deserved rest day tomorrow, then hit Queen Elizabeth on hard Saturday. Good times!
I really like the looks of this! I'm going to start up with a little more of my own programming as well. I may actually use this, probably slightly modified, but I was also looking at one day of Olympic lifts and one day of heavy squats or deadlifts with some metcons and goats mixed in.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #26
Kevin Simons

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rhodes View Post
I really like the looks of this! I'm going to start up with a little more of my own programming as well. I may actually use this, probably slightly modified, but I was also looking at one day of Olympic lifts and one day of heavy squats or deadlifts with some metcons and goats mixed in.
Cool, let me know how it goes! I like the look of it as well. I am just a little concerned about the amount of time for recovery. I might have underestimated how sore sprints make me. Then again it was the first time I've done them in a while, and I probably won't be so sore next time. I have no problem taking an extra rest day if I need it. You have to listen to your body.

That's what I did today. I'm still super beat up from the cycle before I started this little routine. I took a day of active recovery and did Helen today at about 75% intensity. Then I went out and pulled the tire with some medium-heavy weight for 6 trips of 60 yards. Rest tomorrow and then I WILL set a PR with 290 on my squat cleans on Tuesday.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #27
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Your numbers are much better than mine or anyone I've trained, but I'll throw in my $0.02...

I would rearrange it like this:

Day 1: Deadlift or Press 3x5 + Sprints
Day 2: short metcon (usually a girl)
Day 5: Light Metcon or Tabata (alternating weekly) + Heavy Sled Drags
Day 6: Heavy Metcon (Linda, Bear Complex, King Kong etc.) + parallette work

- This gives you more than 72 hours between ME work for similar bodyparts (DL/SQ).
- I've had alot of success pairing deadlifts and sprints on the same training day
- Gives you plenty of recovery for the o-lifts since it's after the 2/1, which should help give you a bit more pop.

If you're interested, please head over to my affiliate blog to get a feel for my style of training.

- Alex
Old 04-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #28
Kevin Simons

Profile:

Alex, thanks for the input! You have a pretty cool site. I like the idea of programming in skill and strength work before the WODs, and you seem to include a wide variety of tools in your training. Very cool.

The reason I set my schedule the way I did is because I want to focus primarily on the Olympic lifts and the heavy metcons. That is why I programmed them after rest days. Heavy Linda and King Kong are my big goals right now and I'd like to be able to attack them with full intensity. I think you are right about the deadlifts being too close to the squats and I like the idea of doing them the same day as the sprint work. I'm going to try moving the deads one day later. I will be doing them in the mornings and the interval work in the evening to see how that works out.

I should add that I don't plan on doing a whole lot of volume on deadlift days since they beat me up pretty badly. I usually just work up to a heavy set of five maintaining decent bar-speed. I have consistently made some decent gains with this approach in the past. I'm lifting heavily and often enough in the short metcons, sled drags, and Olympic lifts that expect my deadlift to rise on its own. If it doesn't, I'll change something around.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate the input. I'm more happy with this schedule now even if it is only a small change.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #29
Kevin Simons

Profile:

Rest day today. I'm finally feeling recovered. I got my hands on an old copy of World Class Coaching; the World's Most Powerful Lift. All I can say is wow! So much great information my head is spinning! It's about two hours solely devoted to the clean and jerk. Highly recommended! After watching the tape and reviewing my own vids, I was able to identify a lot of things I can improve on. I can't wait to PR tomorrow!

I got bored this afternoon and decided to play around on the rings. After taping myself I see I need a little more depth. I suggest everyone invest in a cheap camcorder for this very reason. Anyway I got 46 ring dips. Not terrible, but I'd like to get that number back in the 70s like I when I was in gymnastics. Granted, I was about 35lbs lighter then, but still.. I might just add these to my Tabata day.

Here is the ring dip video:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HectorVi.../0/B0upNMrQEDI (WFS)
Old 04-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #30
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Quote:
Rest day today. I'm finally feeling recovered. I got my hands on an old copy of World Class Coaching; the World's Most Powerful Lift. All I can say is wow! So much great information my head is spinning! It's about two hours solely devoted to the clean and jerk. Highly recommended! After watching the tape and reviewing my own vids, I was able to identify a lot of things I can improve on. I can't wait to PR tomorrow!

I got bored this afternoon and decided to play around on the rings. After taping myself I see I need a little more depth. I suggest everyone invest in a cheap camcorder for this very reason. Anyway I got 46 ring dips. Not terrible, but I'd like to get that number back in the 70s like I when I was in gymnastics. Granted, I was about 35lbs lighter then, but still.. I might just add these to my Tabata day.

Here is the ring dip video:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HectorVi.../0/B0upNMrQEDI (WFS)
How'd you get a hold of a copy? Anything you've found on the net that you'd recommend? I need to work on my C&J.

46 ring dips is solid man! The depth is a bit shallow, but still its a lot. At my sectionals the standard was shoulder below elbow and show full extension at the top, no kip... certainly made things more interesting. Try em with that standard when you do Tabatas, its a whole new challenge.