CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
There is no try. Do or do not.

Over the last few days, there seem to be a lot of posts from people wanting to know how to cheat on their diets. "I want to go Paleo, but I don't want to give up lentils, and I can't stand unsweetened tea, and I can't get enough calories from meat and veggies alone, and..."

Okay, then don't go Paleo. Seriously, no one cares what you eat except you. Going Paleo will not make you one of the Cool Kids. Unless you seriously believe that it will improve your performance, improve your health, and/or help you meet a weight goal, *AND* that those goals are worth the sacrifices that the diet involves, why bother?

Eat Paleo or don't. It's entirely up to you. But please quit whining about it. Thank you.

Katherine

Full disclosure: I personally do not eat Paleo. Having to give up chocolate and ice cream would lead to major whining.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
Meghan Reid

Profile:
Re: There is no try. Do or do not.

Katherine,

A) I love you and B) I agree. One of the things people constantly ask me since I went Paleo is "is XYZ allowed?" "Are you allowed to eat this and that?" My answer is always....I'm ALLOWED to eat whatever I want. No one is holding a gun to my head to make me follow the rules. If my boyfriend's mom makes homemade arroz con dulce (sweet rice) you can bet I'm going to have a bite or two or three, because to me it's worth it. The main thing I am gaining from trying the Paleo thing strictly is that I am getting a better idea of the way my body reacts to certain foods and food groups, so I can decide if it's worth eating for the rest of my life.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Over the last few days, there seem to be a lot of posts from people wanting to know how to cheat on their diets. "I want to go Paleo, but I don't want to give up lentils, and I can't stand unsweetened tea, and I can't get enough calories from meat and veggies alone, and..."

Okay, then don't go Paleo. Seriously, no one cares what you eat except you. Going Paleo will not make you one of the Cool Kids. Unless you seriously believe that it will improve your performance, improve your health, and/or help you meet a weight goal, *AND* that those goals are worth the sacrifices that the diet involves, why bother?

Eat Paleo or don't. It's entirely up to you. But please quit whining about it. Thank you.

Katherine

Full disclosure: I personally do not eat Paleo. Having to give up chocolate and ice cream would lead to major whining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
Katherine,

A) I love you and B) I agree. One of the things people constantly ask me since I went Paleo is "is XYZ allowed?" "Are you allowed to eat this and that?" My answer is always....I'm ALLOWED to eat whatever I want. No one is holding a gun to my head to make me follow the rules. If my boyfriend's mom makes homemade arroz con dulce (sweet rice) you can bet I'm going to have a bite or two or three, because to me it's worth it. The main thing I am gaining from trying the Paleo thing strictly is that I am getting a better idea of the way my body reacts to certain foods and food groups, so I can decide if it's worth eating for the rest of my life.
A) I love both of you

B) There isn't much more for me to add.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
David Knudsen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
A) I love both of you

B) There isn't much more for me to add.
What she said.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knudsen View Post
What she said.
What they said.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

"that's what she said"
Old 01-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Going Paleo will not make you one of the Cool Kids.
In general, that's true; however, I think I came across as being pretty damned cool when I did last Thursday's (Jan 14) main page WOD in just a loincloth.

Last edited by Mark E. Wallace : 01-19-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
Laura Kurth

Profile:

I agree. I think the % paleo thing is somewhat amusing. At what % paleo are you just on a normal diet? 70% ? 80% ? where is the line?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
Michael Maurice

Profile:

IMO . . . Buy a book and read it. You might learn something.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
Adam Acosta

Profile:

It does seem like people get a little caught up on it. The main concern for serious athletes has always been eating enough food to sustain recovery from heavy training volume while avoiding any foods that give you an adverse reaction. If you know your body well enough, avoid the foods that hurt you and eat as much as you need to of everything else. That's what I try to do and nothing else has ever seemed to matter much when I've tinkered with prescribed diets. I've managed to learn how to add or drop 30 pounds in a month, and I can fairly well predict how well I'll feel when eating particular things, and what's going to mess me up digestively, but I've never found that anything much affected my athletic performance. I've eaten McFlurries every day as a high school track athlete, extremely high-carb, no natural ingredients at all MREs for weeks in the field in the Army, and tried paleo and zone as a CrossFitter. The only consistent pattern I've ever found is that my performance suffers when I don't eat enough and improves when I eat more. That's it.