CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
Miguel Vasquez

Profile:
Muscle Ups Scaling

Whats better for a Muscle Up substitute

3 Chins and 3 Dips = 1 Muscle Up

or

Do the Lat Machine Movement from hanging to dip position?
Old 01-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Nic Kirkland

Profile:
Re: Muscle Ups Scaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Vasquez View Post
Whats better for a Muscle Up substitute

3 Chins and 3 Dips = 1 Muscle Up

or

Do the Lat Machine Movement from hanging to dip position?
I would say the chin ups and dips. If you have a pair of rings practice the transition too, as a lot of getting a MU is a technique. If you have the strength to knock out pull ups and good, deep ring dips, the limiting factor is probably just going to be technique. To practice the transition self-spot yourself by standing on a box or something and assisting with your legs as needed to go from the top of the pull up to the bottom of the dip. Practice that a lot until you can do it without your legs and voila!
Old 01-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
Miguel Vasquez

Profile:

thanx.......yeah there is some rings at the globo gym I go to.

I'll then do the ring dips and pull ups on the rings......try to burn time on the squats since there is only on set of rings and need to make the transition from dip position to pull up position on the rings length.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Do weighted chin up/dips or work the transition using bands or the transition that TUcker teaches.

The problem most people have with muscle up is a lack of strength or poor transition, high reps address neither of those.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
Chris Salvato

Profile:

IMHO, if you can't do muscle ups then you shouldn't be doing them in your WODs. I am not being a dick or anything, but muscle ups are a very easy A level gymnastics skill. The problem is not training the muscle up - just most people train it very poorly. I would put off muscle up WODs until you have the strength to do a muscle up.

A progression that I outline for most people is as follows. I have seen strong individuals get a solid, clean, deadhang muscle up on rings from nothing in about a month with this progression - but everyone is different.

1) Progress to 15 dips and 15 pullups on bars, normal grip
2) Progress to a set of 5 dips and 5 pullups with 25% added bodyweight on bars. (If you are 200#, this means another 50# hanging from you)
3) Progress to 15 dips and 15 pullups on rings, false grip in the pullups. While you work towards the 15 Pullups/Dips with false grip, also do some sets of muscle up negatives on the rings.
4) When you are able to do all of the above without a problem, you are beyond a shadow of a doubt overqualified for the muscle up. Start working muscle up concentrics from a hang or in the form of a body row on rings.
5) When you can do deadhang muscle ups concentric on rings, start doing muscle up negatives on a bar.
6) Deadhang muscle up concentrics on a bar.

Learning how to kip will allow you to get to a muscle up much faster, but thats a good progression for a deadhang.

If you need to do a WOD for power output then I would just do 1 to 1 false grip pullups and ring dips - both as close to the nipples as possible.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
Chris Salvato

Profile:

btw, never use the lat machine to simulate a muscle up - its entirely different.