CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #21
Benjamin Edelen

Profile:
Re: 2009 & 2010 Crossfit Games steroid testing?

Chain of custody is a legal term regarding the determination of precisely who handles evidence to be used in a criminal legal context. It is an incredibly detailed and inefficient process which is neither cost effective nor reasonable in the context of drug testing for sporting events. Sporting events are not legal proceedings and established chain of custody is neither a requirement of the testing protocol of any major sporting event (with the possible exception of events which are associated with the Nevada Gaming Commission and similar government agencies who directly oversee sporting events with serious criminal legal implications, this is the vast minority of international sporting events), nor is it a service provided by any but the most expensive non-law enforcement laboratories. Sporting events and private laboratories typically just do the best they can and seek independent verification of results in the event of major disputes.

Last edited by Benjamin Edelen : 12-30-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #22
Joe Cebulski

Profile:

Hello to all on the crossfit forum. My name is Joe Cebulski and I am new to both this forum and to crossfit as well. So this is officially my first post! I wanted to throw in my two cents on the testing PED debate. As a former USA Decathlete, I have some insights into how things are done with testing and why. Over the last decade I have been tested by USADA and the IAAF about 20 times out of competition, and a handful of times in competition. I am excited to see the explosion of crossfit training, as well as competition, and do forsee the need to have an adequate testing protocol in place. As a "new" competitive sport, it is quite advantageous to have such protocols early, and I would say that crossfit HQ is doing a great job of being ahead of the curve to put forth both the money and energy to have testing in place by the third year of competition. That being said, here are some thoughts:

We need a banned substance list. Maybe there is one, but I have searched quite extensively and have not been able to locate one. USADA, and WADA have learned over the years that it must be completely open, accessible and proactive in dissemination of information pre and post testing to allow for the authority to penalize or ban an athlete. A banned substance list heads the list of must have's. We would receive an updated copy every 6 months. For instance...at one time, there was a limit on the amount of caffeine we could ingest at a comp. No there is none. Pseudoephedrine was once banned as well, and now it is not. The list allows an athlete to know what they can and can't use. So what if I go to the 2010 crossfit games and get busted for something, but because there was no list, how could I have known. What if CF HQ views creatine as a banned substance? With the prize money growing exponentially...you better have your legal boxing gloves on if you want to take away that kind of cash from someone who is busted.

At the US champs, World Champs, and Olympic Games for track and field, only the top 3-6 finishers for each event is tested. This is normal. There is no way to test all athletes at an event financially. It is $100-400 per substance on a urine panel. For CF HQ to test the top 16 is pretty good. They might even consider narrowing it down to top 10 or even 5 to save money, or at least be able to afford to test for more substances.

Finally, a thought on the philosophical side. I competed as a clean athlete my entire career. I competed against athletes who were not. It was often tempting to rationalize a loss or lack of performance to the fact that "he" must be cheating. Early on in my career I realized that that frame of mind itself was a detriment. I was at a mental disadvantage to have to constantly speculate. So I chase to believe that everyone was clean until they were busted. Probably not the case, but the only way I could shake hands after getting smoked in a comp and truly give credit to the victor while allowing myself the room and opportunity to improve. I will approach crossfit the same way. I will do so because I have fallen in love with the sport, the philosophy, and the community. I choose to believe in the potential of the human spirit, and will only criticize and condemn when given adequate evidence to the reality of such abuses.

Thanks everyone, and let me know your thoughts.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #23
Anthony Ricci

Profile:

Joe: great post
Be true to yourself-if someone has to cheat to compete they will have to live with it. Unfortunately when prizes are involved integrity will be tested. Just my 2 cents
Old 01-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #24
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Very nice post, Joe. Welcome aboard.

--bingo
Old 01-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #25
Benjamin Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
To compare and contrast Crossfit and the Crossfit Games in the FOURTH GAMES with international organizations that have existed and run competitions for decades is silly.
Bingo - I agree. But surely you can see the inconsistency between the lofty claims of determining the "World's Fittest Man/Woman" and the amateurish way that testing was reported (and maybe performed).

Besides - given that CF is "open-source" (misuse of the term, but whatever), why not just lift a testing protocol from one of these reputable sporting federations?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #26
Tom Sheeran

Profile:

How can you test for banned substances without providing a list of them? It's laughable.

And considering the varied nature of CrossFit, would performance enhancing drugs provide much benefit anyway? Why not lead the charge in removing the stigma around performance enhancing drugs and welcome them?

Since large numbers of elite level athletes seemingly use them anyway, wouldn't it be more beneficial to embrace steroids, etc. to allow proper testing of them to determine all of the pros and cons and allow for a better understanding?
Old 01-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #27
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sheeran View Post
And considering the varied nature of CrossFit, would performance enhancing drugs provide much benefit anyway? Why not lead the charge in removing the stigma around performance enhancing drugs and welcome them?
Maybe because they're also illegal in the US? Regardless of what CFHQ thinks of steroids, getting on the bad side of the Feds is generally not a good business decision.

Katherine
Old 04-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #28
Benny Vredevelt

Profile:

"Gas Bus"
Old 04-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #29
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I don't remember seeing any reports from Beijing 2008 that Michael Phelps passed his tests--we just heard about the ones who didn't.

Just sayin'....
How about the list from major league baseball back in 2004? So far only 1 name has been disclosed.

It's the members of these forums, people who post their times daily on the site, owners and members of the thousands of affiliates that made crossfit what it is today. If the want to be skeptical and demand fairness in the competitions that THEY helped to make possible, they have every right to. The fact that not 1 person tested positive is a little shady to me. Yes, they're "illegal," but steroids are no harder to obtain the advil.

Last edited by Thomas Green : 04-18-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #30
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
The fact that not 1 person tested positive is a little shady to me.
Last August I was at a cert in San Diego and asked Dave Castro if anyone had failed the Drug test and what was on the banned substance list. I asked him the question during a Q&A session at the end of the cert in front of the whole class and he said... (Disclaimer! I am paraphrasing what Mr. Castro said to the best of my recollection. I do not speak for him or Crossfit in any way and while I believe this information to be accurate, I am human and very capable of making mistakes.)

Essentially, Mr. Castro said that in the 2009 Games they tested for 23 banned substances but he did not say what they were or give a reason for not announcing them. I would guess that it's tough to remember 23 different PEDs off the top of your head. As to failed results, he led me to believe (can't remember if he actually said it or not but I'm pretty sure he did not) that there were some positive results but none of them were in the top 16 competitors and therefore didn't warrant any mention.

As to not releasing a banned substance list, I can see how there are good arguments for and against it. Eventually, if serious testing begins to take place, there needs to be a list. That much is certain but at the moment, given the limited resources and testing ability of the Games staff it may not be a bad idea not to release the list. By not releasing it, an athlete has to assume that at the least, anything found on the WADA list will be banned in CF. This gives the athlete good incentive to steer clear. At the same time, because their testing ability is limited and they will be able to check for a much narrow scope of PEDs, if an athlete makes a mistake and say, takes a cold medicine that is banned in WADA, he or she probably won't get a positive because boarder line drugs most likely won't be tested for. Essentially, when you're handicapped it's a good way to level the playing field.