CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-27-2005, 08:48 PM   #1
Aaron Markovich

Profile:
Hello,

I have two questions concerning form on FS and OHS.

OHS: I've lifted in the past and am quite familiar with back squats but OHS are very challenging and are pushing me to try harder. I find that when I do them I tend to lean forward on my toes when I come up. Are there any suggestions or tips for staying on my heels? Btw, I watched the video clip and it was very informative.

FS: My problem here is similar to the OHS in that I lean forward when I come up. Instead of leaning on my toes I've been stay on my heels through the whole lift. Just before I comeplete the lift I've began thrusting my hips forward or exploding when I've used heavier weight. Is this acceptable/normal or should I be leaning back more on my heels more?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:01 PM   #2
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Try pushing through your heels when you come up. I imagine that I am pushing away a moveable floor rather than that I am standing up. It seems to help me bring more of the leg and back in.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Aaron, if you are starting out in a nice upright position in your front squat, driving the "heels through the floor" and start to lean midway in your ascent, you could be compensating for a weakness in your quads by shifting the workload to your hamstrings and back. If you're leaning in the OHS it may be tightness in the shoulder/chest area. Solution - stretch.

Think head up, chest out, heels through the floor, and yes, drive the hips through.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:14 PM   #4
Aaron Markovich

Profile:
Veronica, that sounds about right on the FS. In the past when I've done back squats I've often felt my quads working overtime to get the weight up. With the FS, I think your dead on about the compensation because I've had difficulty focusing on the quads. I sure that I'm still uncomfortable/unfamiliar with the lift but I know that its important to get proper form down early on. I will focus on having my chest out more on the FS.

On the OHS, your correct I should be stretching more often. According to Coach's vid on the OHS he mentioned that it is not a relaxed position and that we should focus on having tight shoulders. Did I read that wrong?

Thanks for the advice and I'll let you know how I progress.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:46 PM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Aaron, I'm guessing Coach meant "tight" as in head/neck/shoulder/shoulder girdle locked out overhead and NOT "tight" as in lack of flexibility.

And I should have said, "CHEST UP". Also "head up" means looking straight ahead and not down towards your feet. Sheesh, I should proofread before I hit "post message" :proud:
Old 09-27-2005, 11:01 PM   #6
Aaron Markovich

Profile:
Sounds good. I understood what you meant by chest out/up. I've aways focused on looking straight ahead and not at the ceiling or my feet.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:41 PM   #7
Nic Nakis

Profile:
Remember that you need to push your knees together a bit as you come up to keep that weight centered on your legs.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:46 PM   #8
Brian Hand

Profile:

Nik, push the knees together? Usually going knock kneed is bad form, and you have to pay attention to keeping the knees spread.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:39 PM   #9

Profile:

Word--the knees tracking in is considered a possible root of ACL problems in wider-hipped women... more universally, knees tracking either in or out suggests some imbalances in the medial/lateral quads, and I'd be concerned with creating or exacerbating problems.

Maybe we're not understanding what you mean by pushing the legs together, because I'm not sure what you mean by weight centered on the legs...

Also, Aaron--if you're leaning foward in the OHS, stretch, stretch, stretch! Most likely it's due to being unable to achieve a truly overhead position due to shoulder/hip/hamstring inflexibility. If the bar is literally "overhead," it will be pushing straight down through your heels--i.e., not pulling you either forward or backward.

Check out CFJ 36 (August) for some OHS info.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:59 PM   #10
Aaron Markovich

Profile:
As far as the knees are concerned I've always tried to be consistent about my stance, never moving in or out. For BS I stay about shoulder width, toe pointed slightly outward.

With both the FS and OHS I keep my toes at the same angle but I've widen my stance just beyond shoulder width in order to get a full depth squat and to help maintain balance.

I'll check on that article and hopefully I'll apply some of these techniques in the gym this weekend.