CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #31
John C. Brown

Profile:
Re: Huge Decline in Quality

I am not the type that implodes when someone pushes back, I encourage it, so long as the argument isn't inane...

CrossFit is not in the business of making people better at CrossFit, the program itself defines fitness (something which no one else has done in a more logical way, go look for yourself) and then outlines measures to achieve that fitness. Rip prefers the business of making people strong, he offered that CrossFit could do with a bit more strength programming, if you go back and look at the main site, you will find that that happened. He offered a test as a way to measure the increase in that strength, CrossFit adopted the Total. You say that CF doesn't listen to suggestions, well there are two perfect examples of how they do. If something is true, it is always true. If it isn't always true...
Old 10-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #32
Matt Charney

Profile:

Yes John words are tricky, I agree. The lack of emphasis and emotion make it difficult sometimes. The word that popped out at me was ridiculous not need. Do they have to consult the SME for the entire programming of the next games? No, but it might help and I don't think it would hurt. I wouldn't ask Coach B to review the running event and I wouldn't ask Tuck to review the deadlift. I don't ask my Doctor for tax advice & I don't ask my mechanic for legal advice.

Louis, I have to disagree on this one
Quote:
The fact here is thus; if you come down on CrossFit, you get the horns. If you come down on Greyskull or Rip, they won't care and allow you to disagree and do your own thing. Without ranting and raving like a lunatic.
I think there is some good discussion going on. I'm not going back to count but there are a few people here stating there are "good points", "valid issues" & "they agree with". Those people aren't being attacked.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #33
Louis H. Poulin II

Profile:

double post, please delete.

Last edited by Louis H. Poulin II : 10-07-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #34
Louis H. Poulin II

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Brown View Post
If something is true, it is always true. If it isn't always true...
I believe this little gem speaks for itself. I don't feel that communicating with you on this matter any further is of any use.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #35
Departed

Profile:

If You Care About Crossfit...

Please read and consider this article. It brings up many good points. I will repost this until a major discussion is held in the CrossFit Community.

http://greyskullarticles.blogspot.co...of-emails.htmlYOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE AND THIS IS NOT.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 10-07-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #36
Departed

Profile:

Please read and consider this article. It brings up many good points. I will repost this until a major discussion is held in the CrossFit Community.

http://greyskullarticles.blogspot.com/2009/10/recently-ive-received-lot-of-emails.htmlYOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE AND THIS IS NOT.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 10-07-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #37
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:
Re: If You Care About Crossfit...

This has been posted 3 times. We care...
Old 10-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #38
Departed

Profile:

http://greyskullarticles.blogspot.com/2009/10/recently-ive-received-lot-of-emails.htmlYOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.AND THIS IS NOT

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 10-08-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #39
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Sigh. I understand your motivation, but please don't. There's another thread (major discussion?) already on the boards about this ("declining quality of crossfit" or something like that). Those who are interested are already involved and discussing, no need to beat a dead horse.

Now, if you had a sledge and a tire, that's worth beating!
Old 10-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #40
Barry Cooper

Profile:

We're discussing it on the Rest Day blog for the Main Page.

Net, net: this guy presents NO evidence whatsoever for very sweeping negative claims, and in the process betrays a profound ignorance, specifically, of CrossFit nutritional guidelines, and more generally of the point of our programming.

It's sour grapes, pure and simple. It is possible to make valid criticisms of CrossFit, but this is not one of them.

Actually, I will add that CrossFit, per se, does not tell you how to do your programming. As an affiliate, he was and would be perfectly able to do whatever he wanted. We test various protocols once a year, and the best way to make his case would be to present a superior athlete.

As it stands, though, virtually ALL the top performers do some combination of Main Page, and their own stuff. Some of them do ONLY Main Page.

That fact speaks for itself. I think the net of the case is that CrossFitters are not Powerlifters. This is true. CrossFit is harder than powerlifting, and I say that as someone who has known more than a few powerlifters.

Which is more useful? Who knows? My money is on the generalized capacity, rather than the limit strength, then puff, puff, puff.

There were guys in my old gym who could deadlift 700 pounds. None of them would do well climbing a mountain, or scaling a hill, much less running an obstacle course.

This is an old debate. People should do what they like. He doesn't like what we do, so he should move on and shut his mouth.