CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
Jade Jenny

Profile:
Am I too sore to workout?

So started following the CrossFit.com WOD last week of August. Took a couple of weeks but was able to more or less build up to the WOD as recommended 3 on 1 off. I've been following it but I am about a week behind on it, did that so I could schedule accordingly if I had to make use of certain equipment.

So I tweaked my lower back the other day (right in the small of my back) and took a day off from training. The day off would have been my third training day in a given series. In doing so I decided I would pick up on the given workout I left off and then skip the rest day and go into the next set of workouts. This was 3 days ago. So Wednesday night I did the max bodyweight bench, pull ups, and bodyweight squat, then thursday morning I did the 10,8,6,4,2 squat cleans with 50,40,30,20,10 sit ups (No GHD). So I did those two workouts within about 12 hours of each other. Now Friday I can barely walk. Yes my upper body is sore as well, but my legs are pretty much not useable.

Now I am new to the CrossFit thing, but I've been lifting long enough to know the different levels of sore. This is definitely up there with some of the worst days that I've had. From what I've read CrossFitters are more or less always supposed to be a sore, but to what extent I am wondering? So really my question is do I try and make my legs work and go workout or take the day off (or I was actually thinking of going into the gym and spinning on the bike real easy for a while)?

Todays workouts would be Angie, not super intensive on the legs, but still fast paced and enough squats to really bring some pain. Should I do it or rest, spin, etc?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Tom Seryak

Profile:
Re: Am I too sore to workout?

The workout schedule on .com is meant to challenge the most fit "Crossfitters". If you just started, you are probably taking on too much. Either that, or you need to scale the wod's more appropriately. Recovery is a key component to make fitness gains. If you continue injuring muscle (which is what happens when you train intensely) without allowing for proper recovery, then your gains will be less than optimal. Read the "Start Here" tab on the mainsite. Train hard, recover harder.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Your legs are "pretty much not usable" and you're asking if you should do a workout with 100 squats? What do *you* think?

I disagree with the notion that Crossfitters should "always" be sore, and certainly if you're sore to the point that you can barely walk, that's your body telling you to ease off. Listen to it.

Katherine
Old 10-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Brian Bedell

Profile:

yes, you are too sore to workout.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
Jade Jenny

Profile:

Thanks for the comments guys. That's more or less what I was thinking, figured it would be more beneficial for me to take the day off, so that I can really attack the workout on Saturday.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
Justin McGinley

Profile:

I don't get the always sore thing.

People that eat well, sleep long, take fish oil, and warm-up/coll down properly aren't often very sore. It takes a special workout to make me sore enough that I need to take extra days off, and when that happens, I rest accordingly. If you are so sore your legs are basically useless, you trained too hard. You don't want over-reaching to make you so sore that it gets in the way of your training, which it currently is. Don't hesitate to scale back the harder workouts.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:32 AM   #7
Jeff Wilson

Profile:

Soreness also varies greatly from person to person. I, for example, always get sore when starting something new, or when starting again after taking more than (always more than) 4 days off regardless of the shape I'm in. But once into a program, am completely fine.

In your case, ease off a little. It's ok, it clearly is a sign that you are pushing very hard trough the WOD, and you'll eventually get to the point where it won't be "too sore." Always listen to your body though, it'll never lie, so long as you truly listen.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:07 AM   #8
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McGinley View Post

People that eat well, sleep long, take fish oil, and warm-up/coll down properly aren't often very sore. It takes a special workout to make me sore enough that I need to take extra days off, and when that happens, I rest accordingly. If you are so sore your legs are basically useless, you trained too hard. You don't want over-reaching to make you so sore that it gets in the way of your training, which it currently is. Don't hesitate to scale back the harder workouts.
Yep, this. I don't often get sore, and I hit the WODs hard. That bench/pullup/back squat workout was a notable exception, as it made my legs unusable for a couple days afterward, and I only did three rounds! Another notable exception is workouts with 150 GHD situps, although those are starting to affect me less now that I've been CFing for a little over a year.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
Jojo Reyes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Jenny View Post

So I tweaked my lower back the other day (right in the small of my back) and took a day off from training.
I actually did the same thing last weekend doing the DL WOD. Then a couple of days later, the WOD called for HSDL (High Sumo DLs) which aggravated that lower lumbar section further. I knew it wasn't a disk problem as the pain was more a "pulling of a muscle" type. Squats or sitting in a squat position didn't seem like it added to the injury, but getting out of the squat position was painful. It took about 5 days of rest, proper paleo/zone nutrition, occasional icing throughout the day and at times, I used the hot/cold patches. (sort of like a sticky nicotine patch and apply it on the lower back section). Although I let my lower back rest from heavy lifts and squats, I continued to do other WODs using other muscle groups... Hope that helps..
Old 10-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #10
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McGinley View Post

I'm by no means a CF expert, but I have been training for three decades now (I'm 48).

Everyone's different. For example, I typically peak in DOMS 36 hours after a workout, as opposed to most people I talk to who tend to peak at 48+ hours.

Generally speaking, if you put your muscles under extreme stress for more than 5 reps per set, you're going to get sore. Hence, sets of 10-20 bodyweight squats and pushups (or sets of 3-5 heavy squats and deadlifts) aren't going to get you as sore (or sore at all) as sets of 10-20 pullups or ring dips.

I did AMRAP/15 minutes alternating sets of 10 pullups and ring dips night before last, and everything in my body above my sternum is on fire this morning. I'm going to the gym tonight and if the WOD involves a lot of specific upper body pushing or pulling, I'm going to do something else, or seriously scale it. Or focus on bigger compound moves like deadlifts or TGUs.

Maybe it's my old body building mentality, but I don't like to overtrain and I do believe that bombing specific muscles when they're sore is ultimately counter-productive.