CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 09-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
Wendy Pace

Profile:
Christmas break travel ideas-tropical

I teach school and have the standard two weeks off around Christmas. I'd like to spend about a week somewhere in Asia, on a beach, stay in an inexpensive but somewhat nice hotel, maybe check out some nightlife/dance clubs. I'm considering Bali, based on a friend's suggestion. I don't want to be isolated (I've got that here), but I also don't want to be where it's all frat boys/tourists during that time of year.

BTW, I'm living in Karachi, Pakistan, so I'll probably fly to Bangkok, then to wherever.

I just want to go somewhere I can wear shorts and a tank top in public again.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Michael Ricketts

Profile:
Re: Christmas break travel ideas-tropical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Pace View Post
I teach school and have the standard two weeks off around Christmas. I'd like to spend about a week somewhere in Asia, on a beach, stay in an inexpensive but somewhat nice hotel, maybe check out some nightlife/dance clubs. I'm considering Bali, based on a friend's suggestion. I don't want to be isolated (I've got that here), but I also don't want to be where it's all frat boys/tourists during that time of year.

BTW, I'm living in Karachi, Pakistan, so I'll probably fly to Bangkok, then to wherever.

I just want to go somewhere I can wear shorts and a tank top in public again.
You have basically described Okinawa. We have night life, tropical weather, and no tourism during that time of year save for a few Japanese Mainlanders looking for the same thing. Plus a CF gym on Island.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
Frank E Morel

Profile:

hell after being in Karachi for any length of time... anywhere first world would be in order. I would say australia... not wrong with thailand.. or asia. But there is something to be said about not being in a third world country for a vacation when you live in one.
Do some reading on cultural shock and re entry shock. Leaving strict living cultures every so often eases both of the issues above when you do leave.

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 09-27-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
William Jackson

Profile:

any time someone asks for vacation ideas, i always recommend a cruise. to me it is un-paralleled in their value. about 800 bucks for seven nights of catered gourmet dinner, decent rooms and beautiful destinations. every stop requires some money but my brother had a very good time with his fiance on a tight budget. you can experience a lot of culture very inexpensively. there are nightclubs on board and all kind of daytime activities. the more outgoing you are, the better time you will have.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
Wendy Pace

Profile:

Hey thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought about a cruise, but that sounds like a great idea, plus I've never been on one!