CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 09-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #21
Departed

Profile:  
Re: 20 Rep Crossfit Total

On a 20 rep press you can't rest in the bottom position? That doesn't make much sense. If you never set the bar down then it shouldn't matter where the rest is. Same with the DL. A hanging re-grip with 200#+ isn't very feasible. You could say that the bar can rest on the ground a max of say 3 sec., thus giving people the chance to quickly re-grip without any rest at all really. Just some observations.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #22
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

It's Derek's thread, and Derek's rules.

If you do it with different rules, just make a note of it. I don't think any of us will be beating Dereks total anyway!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #23
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
It's Derek's thread, and Derek's rules.

If you do it with different rules, just make a note of it. I don't think any of us will be beating Dereks total anyway!
Well he's got to actually do it first, not saying I don't think he can but if we're going to refer to it as his total before he gets it, then lets talk about my 90 second Fran time that I'll eventually get.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:45 PM   #24
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Cristan View Post
Well he's got to actually do it first, not saying I don't think he can but if we're going to refer to it as his total before he gets it, then lets talk about my 90 second Fran time that I'll eventually get.

Just going off his Crossfit Total, which I believe is over 1200.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #25
Derek Robinson

Profile:

Like Jacob said, do it how you want just note what you did.

I think the grip is the real test of heavy high rep deads.

I have never done this and don't really know what to expect, just thought it sounds cool.

Good Luck to all.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #26
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

I'm going to do it by your rules. Really just worried about the high rep back squats. The DL should be alright, I think, based off I do the first round of Diane straight through on DL's but never after 20 205# BS. SP should be ok to at 95#. I am being a little conservative because obviously I don't want to fail because I'm pretty sure I won't be able to attempt another set. Doing this tonight and also have a BDE run in the am but that shouldn't be too challenging unless I'm severely sore. I'm also going to try to stick to 4 minute breaks.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #27
Derek Robinson

Profile:

Good luck Carlos, let us know how it goes.

The SP is the only lift I am worried about as well.

I suggest using a belt for squats and dl's. I know CF doesn't usually use a belt, but form will become sloppy when you get tired and a belt does as much mentally as it does for keeping your midsection tight.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #28
Darrell E. White

Profile:

May I suggest instead CFSB protocol for rests on high rep sets? You may quickly re-grip or change grip at the bottom of a DL; you may pause at the top of a squat; you may rest BRIEFLY on the rack in the shoulder press. There is an aspect of the "Honor Code" here wrt rests. It's a SET, and a set is to be completed in whole without a substantive break. Re-setting your position (butt height, lower back, etc. ) on the DL would be acceptable.

Just some thoughts. Sounds like a really good idea. I'm betting the CFSB crash Test Dummies take this on.

Thanks.

--bingo
Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #29
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Yikes. I've done DL and BS to sets of 20. BS i've done 175 by your rules. DL I've done 195, though not touch-and-go. SP never did a full set of 20, though I got to 16 with 75 lbs, so probably could have done 20 with 70 (though I rested at the bottom, not the top).

SO... at the time (March '09), compared to standard CFT:

BS 265 (20 RM 175)
SP 125 (20 RM ~70)
DL 315 (20 RM 195)

Total 705 (20 RM 440). Bodyweight 135

sadly, numbers are way off from that now. most recent CFT was 640. Damn you, school!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:17 AM   #30
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

20 Rep CFT

534#

BS 208#
SP 98#
DL 228#

My apologies to the group for not doing this last night like I said I would, but I did do it this morning. My weights were right on with what my goal was for accomplishing this(conservative). The odd weights are a result of mixing kgs with lbs. The BS; at 208# it started getting difficult at 12 and I was audibly grunting by 18. SP; felt easy to begin with and thought I went too light and around rep 10 it snuck up on me and I didn't think I'd finish. At rep 15 I could feel an exaggerated lumbar curve(leaning back at the spine) and decided that 98# was a good guess at my 20 rep threshold. Midline stabilization really comes into play here and it sneaks up on you quickly. I wouldn't go heavier on this without improving my overall strength first. The DL; used an alternate grip and started getting difficult at around 13. Touch and go only. I performed each event with no pausing(straight through) so resting at the top of the press or regripping from the hang on the DL never really came into play for me. Abided by the 4 minute rest between events and that includes time required to change the weight. Personally, dont agree with the 30 minute limit for rest; this is CF. We move large loads, long distances, quickly. The fact that I went straight through probably says that I could have gone a little heavier on all the lifts. Thanks for the work Derek.