CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
Jeremy Raffer

Profile:
Form versus Function

I've noticed that people don't care if they are stronger as long as they look how they want. They focus on isolation movements because the think that deadlifts and squats will increase strength but not increase size as much as isolated movements like leg extensions for example. How do you all explain that if you focus on function, in the end the form you achieve is much more astheticaly pleasing than if you simply focus on form? Im ranting a little here but I think that athletes not only look better than bodybuilders but I think its in the way they carry themselves partly. They seem more fluid and less robotic....more capable I guess.

Rant over.

Thoughts?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Form versus Function

All the guys from the "Golden Age" of body building deadlifted, squatted (dave draper front squatted 405 for reps), benched, over head pressed, etc. Arnold has said no more than 30% of your work should be done on machines.

Don't argue with them, it's a waste of time.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Might be your best post ever, Jamie! Perfect answer.

--bingo
Old 08-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
Ben Clark

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Raffer View Post
They focus on isolation movements because the think that deadlifts and squats will increase strength but not increase size as much as isolated movements like leg extensions for example.
Anybody who thinks this is an incompetent bodybuilder. bb.com has as many referrals to SS for beginners as this site does.

Quote:
How do you all explain that if you focus on function, in the end the form you achieve is much more astheticaly pleasing than if you simply focus on form?
Aesthetics is by definition subjective and individual. If you want a look different than the look cf tends to produce then you'll want to train differently. Specialization does apply to bodybuilding. The very functionally strong shot, discus and hammer throwers I saw on tv at the track worlds were not very aesthetic.

Quote:
Im ranting a little here but I think that athletes not only look better than bodybuilders but I think its in the way they carry themselves partly. They seem more fluid and less robotic....more capable I guess.
The pro bb'ers who megadose everything remotely anabolic have gone way past looking like particularly muscular people to looking like some bizzare subspecies. Homo sapiens anabolicus perhaps?

I just saw some top naturals onstage as part of a science show an hour ago. One guy literally looked skinny relaxed. He had to flex before you could tell he was shredded skinny rather than flaccid skinny. Some naturals are complaining that the judging standards for leanness should be relaxed so the guys can actually carry most of the limited mass they can build naturally onstage, I would agree.