CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
Paul Casimir

Profile:
Re: Paul C - Green Bay

Three rounds for time of:
Row 500 meters
21 Burpees
Run 400 meters

Post time to comments.

34:01
subbed 50 46lb sumo lifts for row
1st round in 8:10, 2nd round in 11:30, 3rd round 14:21, nosebleed about 5 min after finishing. Never had a workout nosebleed before. I hate burpees. I had to break the burpees into sets of 5. After collapsing on the ground at the end, I took my heartrate and found that it was only 100. Since I have been running so much this year, my resting heartrate is usually in the low 50s, but only 100 after an intense workout surprised me. I know my endurance is far ahead of my strength and my stamina at the moment, so I'll chalk it up to that. I still don't have a word for how I feel during this type of workout. Lungs fine, heart fine, muscle strength fine, stamina not fine at all. Hopefully the thing that improves power output is developing.

Carol: 17:09
subbed 50 15lb sumo lifts
10 burpees
350m run/walk running most of the way

Last edited by Paul Casimir : 08-05-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #12
Paul Casimir

Profile:

Three rounds for time of:
21 L-Pull-ups
15 ft. L-rope climb, 3 ascents

Post time to comments.

-------------------------

Carol and I didn't even think we could do the scaled versions of this, so we changed it to:

Me, max pullups in 20:00, followed by tuck sit work. I ended up with 7 dead hang + 54 assisted pullups. Then 8 times holding tuck sit for 15 seconds.

Carol, three rounds of: body rows for 4:00, rest 1 min, tuck sit work for a few min.

I ended up with a blister on one hand. Now that I'm not working out with gloves, I had been expecting this.

I'm going to avoid talking about my CrossFit issues at work from now on, like near-puke episodes, after-workout nosebleed, blisters, and whatever else comes up. People are starting to think I'm crazy. They already thought I was off my rocker for running a half-marathon, but this is a whole new level of abnormal.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #13
Paul Casimir

Profile:

Saturday Deadlifts 5-5-5-5-5

Carol: 65-70-75-80-90
She didn't fail and could have gone higher, I think. She said the lift felt good and in my opinion her form looked just like the video -- she's a natural deadlifter.

Me: 146-156
Stopped at round two due to back pain. Again I was lifting things in the garage all day, and combined with deadlifts, the back pain came back. I need to avoid this in the future or keep the deadlifts super light for a while.

Sunday
"Tabata Something Else"
Complete 32 intervals of 20 seconds of work followed by ten seconds of rest where the first 8 intervals are pull-ups, the second 8 are push-ups, the third 8 intervals are sit-ups, and finally, the last 8 intervals are squats. There is no rest between exercises.
Post total reps from all 32 intervals to comments.

Carol:
body rows: 12,11,7,8,7,5,7,7 = 64
pushups from knees: 11,9,6,5,3,6,5,6 = 51
situps: 10,10,10,10,10,10,9,9 = 78
squats: 9,9,10,9,8,8,7,8 = 68
Total: 261

Me:
pullups (body rows starting at round 2): 3,9,9,8,7,7,8,7 = 58
pushups: 11,6,4,3,2,2,2,2 = 32
situps: 5,8,7,6,5,6,7,7 = 51
squats: 10,11,10,10,10,10,10,13 = 84
Total: 225
Old 08-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #14
Paul Casimir

Profile:

Four rounds, each for time of:
800 meter run
Post times for each round to comments.

I measured out a 1/2 mile loop with the car close to home, which is slightly longer than 800m but very close. My nike+ sportband measured the distance at .46, so it definitely needs some recalibrating.

Me:
3:27 <-- happy about this time
3:42
3:53
3:48

Carol (run/walk):
5:00
5:03
5:09
5:10

Carol said she was embarrassed to run the 1/2 mile loop in front of neighbors, but I kept saying that is no time to be embarrassed about. In fact, that is faster than I used to run 2 years ago. I have a feeling she is going to find that inner light soon, that brightness we all have inside that just needs to be let out, and when that happens she is going to be unstoppable.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #15
Paul Casimir

Profile:

Spent some time reading the injury board -- lots of good stories there. I will be a lot more careful to scale down when necessary, especially with Carol.

Yesterday her heart rate was 216 after the 4th 800. I didn't think she needed to scale the distance because she was run/walking, but 216 is mighty high. She always ran high naturally (200+) when jogging in college. She was a high school athlete, and with a natually high heart rate, so I wasn't too concerned yesterday. She didn't feel terrible and her rate dropped fast, so it didn't seem like a problem. But we are 20 years older than high school now with lower max heart rate targets, and after reading the injury board, scaling down the distance as well as the intensity seems like a good safety measure for the future.

I was kind of shocked at my own heart rate as well, but for the opposite reason. I took it about half a minute after the 3rd 800 -- 13 beats in 10 seconds = 78 bpm. I don't get why it would be so low.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:01 PM   #16
Paul Casimir

Profile:

Just took my resting heart rate: 48. Yikes, I'm going to end up passing out like President Bush choking on a pretzel.

If you don't remember that episode, in 2002 President Bush had a low heart rate, choked on a pretzel which triggered vasovagal syncope, lowering his heart rate even more, and he passed out.

I really am a bit concerned, because I have passed out due to pain-induced vasovagal syncope in the past. Now it will be even more likely.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #17
Paul Casimir

Profile:

"Linda"
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of the triplet:
Deadlift: 1 1/2 body weight
Bench press: body weight
Clean: 3/4 body weight
Set up three bars and storm through for time.

------------------------------------

Both of us scaled way down and just practiced the cleans with a 15lb curl bar, which is a terrible bar to rest on the shoulders, but we are bar challenged at the moment. The full rx'd workout looks incredibly hard. I am amazed at the amount of work CrossFit athletes can put out in a short time.

3 rounds, 10 reps per exercise of:
Me:
Deadlift -- just practice with 20 lbs and worked on form, keeping super light on this lift like I decided.
Bench -- 45 lb dumbbells
Clean -- practice with 15 lbs, difficult lift, will take a lot more practice.

Carol:
Deadlift -- 65 lbs
Bench -- 45 lbs
Clean -- practice with 15 lb bar

Both of us found even this scaled down version pretty tiring, mainly because of the squat motion of the clean.

Last edited by Paul Casimir : 08-12-2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 08-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #18
Paul Casimir

Profile:

With a continuously running clock do one pull-up the first minute, two pull-ups the second minute, three pull-ups the third minute... continuing as long as you are able.

Me: 12 min + 9
Only did regular pull-ups for the first 3 minutes, then switched to body rows. Grip wore out before anything else.

Carol: 16 min (body rows)

I joined a weight loss team at work, even though I have no weight to lose. Team is 4 people, goal is to not gain weight as a team, and ideally lose weight, all the way to Dec. 18th. My goal isn't to lose weight, but I can fluctuate 10 lbs down or up with ease just controlling hydration and salt, so I'm just in it for the fun. If somehow our team manages to lose the most weight %, it would pay off in $$$ for the top three places, but doubt we have a chance. One guy on my team walks in the door with a McDonald's cup every morning -- I have a feeling it would be easier for our team to break the record for gaining the most weight.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #19
Paul Casimir

Profile:

Front squat 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps
Post loads to comments.
---------------------------

Carol and I both had trouble with the front squat, which we had never done before. She leaned forward too much, but was just practicing with a 15lb bar, so it didn't matter as she wasn't going for a 1RM today. Then she had hip flexor pain on the left side after several minutes of practice and had to stop the workout.

I had a problem at first with my right wrist. It seemed to not be as flexible as my left wrist -- not sure what was going on there. I finally found a way to hold the bar the didn't overstress that wrist, then unbelievably I also began having hip flexor pain on the left side in the same exact spot and had to stop.

I was practicing with 85lb, so I guess that is my 1RM now.

The amount of pain and stresses has been adding up the last few weeks, but rather than making me want to stop, it is just pointing out to me how stagnant, stiff, weak, and underdeveloped I have been in certain areas my whole life. Instead of throwing in the towel, I am planning on how to build these weak areas up. Temporary disappointment today.

Last edited by Paul Casimir : 08-14-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #20
Paul Casimir

Profile:

Rest Day

-------------

Active rest: 5K at a slow pace, 29:33, in case the left hip flexor acted up. It didn't. No pain at all, and only feel it slightly in a deep squat position.

Made some DIY parallettes out of PVC I happened to have sitting around. We had gotten some for the kids to play with, and I was happy to find a new use for it.