CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #21
Stu Christensen

Profile:
Re: supplements

I have used NOExplode. It works. I liked it.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #22
Kenneth A Hinz

Profile:

Hey Wes,

No expert here, but do use fish oil sup. being land locked I dont get a lot of fresh fish......whey protein do use to get your right amount of intake, but dont depend on it day to day.
Also welcome and good luck
Old 07-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #23
Wes helton

Profile:

Thanks alot everyone, this is what i was looking for some opinions! HA HA looks like ill buy some protine to have as a part of the Zone, fishoil-maybe i dont have time to look at the links right now but i will while at work ( isnt that what all crossfitters do... ) once again thanks alot and if anyone has any tips on the zone diet i would love them! i have printed issue 21 " meal Plans" from the journal and will start following for max results!

thanks alot!
-Wes
Old 07-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #24
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Extra protein isn't a necessity--you're better off getting your protein from beef, chicken, pork, fish, eggs, and cheese or cottage cheese (if you're not 100% Paleo.)

Fish oil is a necessity according to most CFers and people with science-y abbreviations after their names, since the omega-3 fatty acids aren't found in high levels in many foods aside from cold-water fish. Fish oil will help minimize inflammation, prevent lots of diseases and mental disorders, and get your body to start burning fat.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:57 PM   #25
Dane Grace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes helton View Post
Thanks alot everyone, this is what i was looking for some opinions!
-Wes
OK, I'll take the bait (all links wfs), and for the record, I used to work as a clerk in a vitamin shop.

Protein supplements: Waste of money. If you must drink a post workout supplement, drink milk. I have spent an embarrassingly substantial amount of money on protein supplements. None have worked as well as milk for me. Sure, the numbers aren't as great, but my experience suggests that it's more effective.

Pre-work out drink (NOX, etc.): Coffee. I should note that I consider coffee a macronutrient. I've noticed a difference before Crossfit/BJJ/SS work outs. I've tried a few of the carb/protein pre-workout shakes. I never noticed a difference. There has been no studies that have reported substantial correlations between NOX supplementation and muscle growth/athletic proportion. Assume that supplement manufacturers need you to buy their product and will shovel nearly any sort of circumstantial information your way to get you to buy.

Fish oil: I'm not even going to try and post links heralding the efficacy of fish oil as that would make for a 4000 word essay. I've noticed a difference in the inflammation in my shoulder after having taken fish oil. I give it huge credit to my rehabilitation process. My mother has noticed an improvement in her arhtritis after having using fish oil supplements without substantially changing other factors in her life (READ: it was effectively the variable in that situation). My father has noticed an improvement in his gout. My brother has noticed an improvement in his knee pain. Fish oil, and especially EFAs, have been implicated as major contributors to brain function, eye function, join health, cardio function, liver function, as anti-inflammatories, and in human evolution (I'm not kidding). I am, however, slightly disappointed that fish oil hasn't caused me to develop eye lasers or telekinesis, but I'm still hopeful.

Multivitamin: There is a lot of evidence that these help. I prefer green powders for the following reasons: 1) a good one is actually food; 2) I will not eat, but I do recognize the nutrition benefits of spirulina and sea weed; and 3) it makes for a good excuse to fire up the blender and make a fruit smoothie. Did I mention that I like fruit smoothies? I do. Do you know why? Because they are delicious, and made of food. By the way, eat food.

Joint formula: Glucoasamine and chondroitin for the win. I absolutely noticed a difference in my joint pain. I've cycled on and off of it with similar results, which can be summarized as "ouch." I've read some sales literature that quoted a few studies that MSM, glucosamine and chondroitin worked best as a team (especially large amounts of MSM). However, taking more more than a gram of MSM made for bad toilet time. It turns out that MSM can act as a laxative. You can't say that you haven't been warned.

Remember, supplements are meant and are only effective as SUPPLEMENTS TO YOUR ACTUAL DIET (it's not just a clever name). You should be getting every nutrient you need (and arguably, more) from food. Supplements are meant to add a little juice to your dietary fire and possibly to plug some holes. Eat well and eat food. Did I mention you should eat food? Because, well ... you should.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:17 AM   #26
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Do the big stuff first, then worry about the little stuff if you still aren't getting results.

Make sure you've got the set turned on before you start twiddling the fine tuning knob.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:56 AM   #27
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Dane;

Great Avatar-Croc Rocks.

Your post is a classic. Suggest you keep on hand post often. Advice is on the money. Only issue, it's toooooooooooo simple, it can't possibly work. No ads, no babes, no b/s claims, no spoke models, just good basic info.

Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:06 AM   #28
Wes helton

Profile:

once again! you guys got it ha ha love all the information !
thanks alot
Old 07-22-2009, 05:48 AM   #29
Sydney Everhart

Profile:

By the way, I should add that CrossFit workouts are in no way "endurance" events and therefore you shouldn't need any type of endurance supplement -- not even "electrolyte" drinks.

Unless you're doing more than an hour of exercise, I would suggest drinking good old H2O during your workouts.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #30
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane Grace View Post
OK, I'll take the bait (all links wfs), and for the record, I used to work as a clerk in a vitamin shop.

Protein supplements: Waste of money. If you must drink a post workout supplement, drink milk. I have spent an embarrassingly substantial amount of money on protein supplements. None have worked as well as milk for me. Sure, the numbers aren't as great, but my experience suggests that it's more effective.

Pre-work out drink (NOX, etc.): Coffee. I should note that I consider coffee a macronutrient. I've noticed a difference before Crossfit/BJJ/SS work outs. I've tried a few of the carb/protein pre-workout shakes. I never noticed a difference. There has been no studies that have reported substantial correlations between NOX supplementation and muscle growth/athletic proportion. Assume that supplement manufacturers need you to buy their product and will shovel nearly any sort of circumstantial information your way to get you to buy.
Just a note on this... NOX supplements are not meant for muscle buildling as you state... they are intended for ENERGY BOOST. Your entire justification is invalid.

Oh, and if I were you, I wouldn't say you are qualified because you work in a vitamin shop - that has absolutely no relevance. My buddy MANAGES a GNC and knows nothing along with the rest of his staff. Supplement shops, vitamin shops etc require NO EDUCATION or training on the matter - unlike other professional occupations.