CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
Wes helton

Profile:
Re: supplements

ha ha love the help here
Old 07-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
Rolf Whitney

Profile:

Wes-
You got an IM.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #13
Joe Shininger

Profile:

CF generally eschews supplements because you can get everything you need from whole, real food-vitamins, minerals, macronutrients, etc. The vast majority of supplements that are available do not do what they promise (the supplement industry is not regulated by the FDA and does not have to back up any of it's claims with honest research). People here don't take them simply because they're unnecessary if you are eating properly-a balanced diet geared towards performance will provide you with everything that a supplement claims to, in the amounts and proportions that your body requires. I've been doing CF for over 2 years, and the most amazing athletes I know rely on protein, fat, carbs, water, and sleep to fuel their performance.

As for things like NOxplode- CF workouts are intense enough that you would do well to avoid anything that will artificially increase your heart rate. Caffeine and the like can dangerously increase your heart rate, and act as a diuretic as well leading to dehydration and sub-par performance. As someone who is on medication that speeds up my heart rate, I would advise you to be very careful if you decide to go down that path.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #14
Wes helton

Profile:

Great tony! Ha Ha i was told that a protein shake could increase metabolism? Not sure about that like i said im not trying to replace meals but to have more stamina and i guess you could say lower those times down! thanks alot for your input
Old 07-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #15
John Praeuner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
You are not searching. You can't find anything searching "fish oil?" "vitamins" etc.? As a matter of fact, look below where similar threads are listed. I don't want to just say "search" all the time, but if you are looking for "explained answers" these things have been discussed a lot already.

And I'm pretty sure John agreed with me, +1.
Aye, that I did (do)
Old 07-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #16
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Your welcome, the help here is wonderful, i agree. You are getting great response that will lead you to tons of info. Almost your exact question is asked in the first thread listed under "similar threads" below. And therein the moderator about 3 posts down suggests use of the search function as well.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #17
Wes helton

Profile:

brian i was not being an a** man i was simply stating a fact ( just makin sure you didnt take it the wrong way!

and i was only scrolling down the page enough to see our post and did not realize the " similar threads section at the bottem... sorry just trying to get the best results!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #18
John Praeuner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes helton View Post
Great tony! Ha Ha i was told that a protein shake could increase metabolism? Not sure about that like i said im not trying to replace meals but to have more stamina and i guess you could say lower those times down! thanks alot for your input
I could list numerous supp's and say why they are a waste of money, but like someone else said they aren't regulated by the FDA. As such, I could pour table salt into a bottle of water and sell it as a post workout drink that will rehydrate you 550% faster than the competition (tap water) and I wouldn't need to verify my % nor any other part of the claim-- as long as I stated that I wasn't reg'd by the FDA.

Think that not following the rules is no big deal? Read this link from the nutrition business journal (WFS):
http://nutritionbusinessjournal.com/.../July-14-2009/

And that is only health code violations, the Chinese buffet down the street does that from time to time.
There are companies that have been busted for putting illegal AAS/pro-hormones into products that do not claim to contain said substances. I don't have a link to that currently, but given enough time I could find it.

All else said, eat right (Paleo/Zone/etc) and take some protein from a reputable supplier if you feel the need (search online for one- they do exist). Avoid anything with a "propietary blend" if you can.

good luck, train hard

Edit: forgot to say- if you want to increase your stamina, there is no supp that will help with that, just time and effort. good luck!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #19
Caleb Whitfield

Profile:

This feedback is very useful. No one likes you enough (no offense) or is getting compensated to turn you out a full diet/exercise plan. Then again, that is one of the fun parts of the journey. Experiment with your diet and training until you get the results you want. Make it personal, keep track. It's not going to happen overnight and without hard work mind you, but following these core principles will put you on the right path. Good luck man!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #20
Sydney Everhart

Profile:

Hey Wes,

Personally, I use a multivitamin, iron, and whey protein. The multivitamin and iron are to keep my iron levels high enough so I can donate blood (vitamin C is needed for iron absorption, hence the multivitamin too). I use whey protein because it seems logical to me. It's cheap, easy, and helps me reach my protein intake goals.

However, diet is more important than supplements. If I don't eat right, it doesn't matter what I'm doing with my supplements, I will k-line during the WOD (or even worse, puke). I believe diet is 80-90% of fitness success for me.

Here's a good link (in my opinion) on metabolism and nutrition that should explain what you should be eating for your specific desires and how certain dietary nutrients play an important roal in those processes. http://www.hussmanfitness.org/theFridge.html (WFS)

The main page of that website is also worth taking a look at for general information regarding fitness and eating. http://www.hussmanfitness.org/ (WFS)

Focus on intensity & consistency, and the rest will fall into place.

Good luck,
Sydney