CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 07-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #21
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Dad bragging on 6 year old daughter

Most of the sports have these high torsion injuries to the knees on landings, quick changes, or because of the surfaces (grass or basketball floor ). Really high force impacts that tend to shear.

Throw in a girl's "Q" angle due to her hips and pelvis after puberty and those knees don't last long in volleyball and soccer.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #22
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

I just did a workout with my 7 year old daughter for the first time today. She lives on nuggets, pizza, and rice. She had been showing interest in working out with me, and I told her that if she was going to do it she'd have to drink alot of water so two days ago I told her that if she drank at least two 16 oz containers of water throughout the day she could work out with me the next morning. Of course she didn't because she only drinks milk and juice, so yesterday I worked out alone and she was pretty upset. Yesterday she did drink the amount of water I asked her to drink, and this morning I coached her through some initial instruction in the air squats, pushpress, and box jumps. She then did this workout:
3 rounds of run from our garage down the sidewalk to the next drive way and back (maybe 50 meters), 3 push press with a 25# ez curl bar, 5 box jumps on to a playskool step stool about 10 inches, and 7 airsquats. She loved it; even wanted to do it again. I talked her out of it. Today she's already drank 16 oz of water on her own, and tried some fruit with her breakfast this morning. I couldn't be more proud of her. Of my three kids, the other two are 4yo girl and 3yo boy she is probably the least physically active. Im thinking maybe not for long.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #23
Warren C Ellison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Doolittle View Post
I too was wondering why you had to scale a children's WOD
She's a 6 year old "firebreather" and dad's a 33 year old hasbeen.

After my SS workout and warmup, I was seriously getting tired after round 2. You could see how proud she was when she saw the sweat dripping off my nose. She also wanted to know why my shirt was wet from sweat and her's wasn't? Man, she can really rub it in.

Thanks for all the kind comments...hoping to get some video up tomorrow. We are still working on her pushup and sumo form...she still has some time.

It's a great day to be an American Dad. Go hug your child today.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #24
Warren C Ellison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Cristan View Post
I just did a workout with my 7 year old daughter for the first time today. She lives on nuggets, pizza, and rice. She had been showing interest in working out with me, and I told her that if she was going to do it she'd have to drink alot of water so two days ago I told her that if she drank at least two 16 oz containers of water throughout the day she could work out with me the next morning. Of course she didn't because she only drinks milk and juice, so yesterday I worked out alone and she was pretty upset. Yesterday she did drink the amount of water I asked her to drink, and this morning I coached her through some initial instruction in the air squats, pushpress, and box jumps. She then did this workout:
3 rounds of run from our garage down the sidewalk to the next drive way and back (maybe 50 meters), 3 push press with a 25# ez curl bar, 5 box jumps on to a playskool step stool about 10 inches, and 7 airsquats. She loved it; even wanted to do it again. I talked her out of it. Today she's already drank 16 oz of water on her own, and tried some fruit with her breakfast this morning. I couldn't be more proud of her. Of my three kids, the other two are 4yo girl and 3yo boy she is probably the least physically active. Im thinking maybe not for long.
Good to hear. We don't let our children drink soft drinks at all water and juice. Keep on keeping on.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #25
Warren C Ellison

Profile:

Here's the video from this past week. It is awful light in the warehouse...sorry.

WFS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fm5Z9ivC4M
Old 08-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #26
James M. Berry

Profile:

just saw the video...you sound like such a proud dad! Congrats to you! I hope when I have kids one day they will have her enthusiasm for working out...she was ready to keep going!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:59 PM   #27
Michael Ricketts

Profile:

Awesome kid!! I hope my son picks it up too, he is 2 now and loves to go outside and play while we workout next to him, the other day he tried to keep up with mom's 5k and damned if he didn't do a good job based on his small stature!