CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 07-02-2009, 05:14 AM   #1
Warren C Ellison

Profile:
Dad bragging on 6 year old daughter

Proud Dad Alert be Warned!!!

I took my 6 year old daughter to the gym and the daycare center was closed so I decided to let her come out to the "Warehouse" (crossfit stuff in this room) and play while we worked out. We happened to be starting a new cycle of SS and started off with a mini wod and warm up. No AC in warehouse and it was 95 degrees and 43% humidity outside so it was sweaty to say the least.

So my daughter starts playing around with medicine balls, kettle bells, and swiss balls and seems to be having fun. BTW, my daughter is 4 foot 3 with appropiate weight for that height. I finish up my deadlifts and I see that she has created what she calls an obstacle course. It consists of jumping over a small tire, 8lb medicine ball for sumo DL [she called them "Pick ups"), small bench to jump on 10 times, crunches on swis ball, then push a swiss ball around the warehouse while running, and then 5 pushups. I got her to teach me the course and I did it with her once and told her I would help her clean up and that I was proud of her. But wait, she then tells me we have to do 45 rounds so I talk her down to 3 and we take turns doing it together. I helped her with her sumo and pushup forms. It was one of our greatest bonding times together. The kettlebell instructor came out to watch and sent her husband to come observe what a 6 year created.

We left there drenched in sweat holding hands talking about how good of a workout we just had. We are going again this weekend and I'll try to get it on video to share.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:17 AM   #2
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
Re: Dad bragging on 6 year old daughter

That's awesome!

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 07-02-2009, 05:20 AM   #3
Mac Oneill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren C Ellison View Post

I took my 6 year old daughter to the gym and the daycare center was closed so I decided to let her come out to the "Warehouse" (crossfit stuff in this room) and play while we worked out. We happened to be starting a new cycle of SS and started off with a mini wod and warm up. No AC in warehouse and it was 95 degrees and 43% humidity outside so it was sweaty to say the least.

So my daughter starts playing around with medicine balls, kettle bells, and swiss balls and seems to be having fun. BTW, my daughter is 4 foot 3 with appropiate weight for that height. I finish up my deadlifts and I see that she has created what she calls an obstacle course. It consists of jumping over a small tire, 8lb medicine ball for sumo DL [she called them "Pick ups"), small bench to jump on 10 times, crunches on swis ball, then push a swiss ball around the warehouse while running, and then 5 pushups. I got her to teach me the course and I did it with her once and told her I would help her clean up and that I was proud of her. But wait, she then tells me we have to do 45 rounds so I talk her down to 3 and we take turns doing it together. I helped her with her sumo and pushup forms. It was one of our greatest bonding times together. The kettlebell instructor came out to watch and sent her husband to come observe what a 6 year created.

We left there drenched in sweat holding hands talking about how good of a workout we just had. We are going again this weekend and I'll try to get it on video to share.
Thats awesome brah! I hope when I have a kid it's as bad*** as yours! Actually, I would probably be excited if he/she was intersted in sports or fitness at all.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:36 AM   #4
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Now that's a great family story! What a good influence you are on her.

Looking forward to the video, for sure!
Old 07-02-2009, 05:43 AM   #5
Warren C Ellison

Profile:

It's amazing what kids pick up on by just watching and listening to their parents.I had know idea she would be interested. My 3 year old son already likes to take his shirt off and pick up stuff. He always says, "He's a man" when he takes off his shirt.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:18 AM   #6
Matt Bahen

Profile:

Couldn't be more jealous of ya & so happy that there are Dads like you still in this world! A well deserved from me to you brutha! You kids are blessed for sure!
Old 07-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #7
Mat Frankel

Profile:

That is a great story! It's really refreshing to see kids being active...and HAVING FUN!
It must have brought a great sense of pride. Keep up the great molding!
Old 07-02-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
Anna Meadors

Profile:

Cutest story ever!!!!! That is awesome! The part about her telling you that you guys had to do 45 rounds was the best part, hahaha, love it. Like I said in the 6 year old deadlifting thread, stories/kids like this give me hope for the future.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #9
Keith Wilkey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren C Ellison View Post

But wait, she then tells me we have to do 45 rounds
That was golden! I hope my kid picks up CF like yours!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #10
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Awesome. That's great man!!