CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Brandon Fleeman

Profile:
Doing dumbbell swings instead of kettlebells

So I'm trying to figure out how to use both of my arms in order to do the dumbbell swings.

Is it best to grab two dumbbells of the same weight, and use both arms at the same time that way? It seems like using both hands on one dumbbell doesnt really allow me to grip the dumbbell right.

Insights please.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Thomas Green

Profile:
Re: Doing dumbbell swings instead of kettlebells

I like going with one dumbbell, both hands on the inside. You can go with whatever's most comfortable for you. The dumbbell should just be an extension of your arm and you don't want to pull with them either.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
Steven Ngo

Profile:

one dumbbell, both hands, one in front (or rather, on top of) the other; imaging holding gripping a golf club or baseball bat.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Skylar Cook

Profile:

I find that grabbing the handle with both hands ("both hands on the inside," "like grabbing a golf club") causes my wrists to get destroyed by the top plate (or "weight") of the DB. I like to actually grab the top plate with both hands, at "six and three o'clock" if you're looking down on it. Naturally this doesn't work with all DBs, but at most of the globos I've been to they seem to have nice, circular plates.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
Grant Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
I like to actually grab the top plate with both hands, at "six and three o'clock" if you're looking down on it. Naturally this doesn't work with all DBs, but at most of the globos I've been to they seem to have nice, circular plates.
That's how I do them also. Make sure to dry your hands between rounds.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Whoops. Above should be NINE and THREE o'clock.

Suppose this also explains why I'm so bad at telling the time...
Old 07-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
I like going with one dumbbell, both hands on the inside. You can go with whatever's most comfortable for you. The dumbbell should just be an extension of your arm and you don't want to pull with them either.
This works with most dumbbells and most hands. I like a fat grip with dumbbells swings. We had some at Williams College when I was there that were perfect - I never felt like I needed actual kettlebells. I actually preferred to swing the fat dumbbells to the kettlebells - less tug on the lower back for us tall folk (and yes, I'm sure that I was doing them correctly).
Old 07-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. Meador View Post
(and yes, I'm sure that I was doing them correctly).
Oh, I don't have any doubts. Not sure if you were referring to that other thread I posted in, but to clarify, I was referring to the non-crossfitting types I've seen in Globo-gyms try swings who swing the weight with their back and not their hips. I don't think too many people who post here have to worry about that.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I prefer to use 2 DB, one in each hand through the legs. I place each DB, side to side ( using hex DB ) to simulate one big one.

On a PM thread of KB vs DB swing, it was noted that swinging them is much different because of how they are designed. There was even some calculations of the differences if you want to go look for it.

A KB has the weight extended out from your hand and thus gravity and swinging it increased the load. Even if you hold the DB toward one of the ends, it still has 1/2 the weight per end vs the bulk of the weight at one end.

I used to swing them one in each hand on the side of my body but this makes the swing more like a front squat with a swing instead of a PP in a thruster. It's somewhat like swinging on Parallel Bars, however.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:04 AM   #10
Josh Knoechel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
On a PM thread of KB vs DB swing, it was noted that swinging them is much different because of how they are designed. There was even some calculations of the differences if you want to go look for it.

A KB has the weight extended out from your hand and thus gravity and swinging it increased the load. Even if you hold the DB toward one of the ends, it still has 1/2 the weight per end vs the bulk of the weight at one end.
Blair - would you mind linking to that thread? I can't find it but am very interested in it. Search function won't let you search for words <3 letters (v vs db kb) and dumbbell and kettlebell return TONS of results. Thanks!