CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #21
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger - Tamara's log

Thanks, Camille! I think I'm driving my husband crazy...CF really must be a cult. I was up at 2:00 am (chronic insomniac!), and what am I thinking about? CrossFit.

I stepped on the scale today for the first time in more than a week, and I have officially lost 21 lbs. And, I don't even care about weight any more. I care about being STRONG and FAST. I care about my darn snatch and my first pullup. ACK! Scary! How did this happen to me?
Old 07-17-2009, 05:09 AM   #22
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

7/17/09

Skill work: POSE technique. Did some drills outside focusing on falling forward, hitting ball of foot, pulling feet up, etc.

WOD "The Quick and the Dead":
Five 100m sprints (and yes, we still hit a HILL, even at 100m) and 100 burpees for time

100m @ 50% of perceived max effort
walk back to start
100m @ 70% of perceived max effort
walk back to start
100m @ 90% of perceived max effort
3 min rest, including walk back to start
100m @ max effort
3 min rest, including walk back to start
100m @ max effort
3 min rest, including walk back inside
100 burpees for time

Times on 100m (with stupid hill) in whole seconds:
23-21-19-17-18, so I guess I wasn't horrible at figuring out pacing

100 burpees for time:
15:11

The sprints were the best part. Did I just say that?! Running was better than something else?

Kicking myself, kicking myself, kicking myself. Didn't I say I was going to get past that mental block of trying to catch my breath? I did not achieve this with the burpees. My brain was totally in the wrong place. By the time I hit 50, all I could think was "I can't finish this, I'm going to die, this is horrible." Then, at the end, my coach got next to me with the stop watch and was pushing me to go sub-15:00, and of course, I figured out that "Yes, I can do this, why am I wasting time, GET IT DONE." ARGH! Yes, I am happy that I did 100 freaking burpees because I have never come close to doing 100 burpees. But, there is a LOT of room for improvement in that time, solely based on mental effort. PUSH THROUGH, WOMAN, PUSH THROUGH!
Old 07-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #23
Meghan Reid

Profile:

How did I just realize that it was my comment that inspired you to log? Now I'm frantically trying to figure out what it was that I said! LOL. At any rate, hooray, and I'm sorry I had a totally delayed reaction!
Old 07-18-2009, 03:16 AM   #24
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

, Meghan! I looked it up to be sure, and you said "Holy hell, you look AMAZING! Do you have a workout log? I can only imagine what would happen if you started dialing in the diet as well!"

I think it was the "holy hell" part that sounded so cool . I kind of want to start saying that now. So, thanks!
Old 07-18-2009, 07:49 AM   #25
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Dear CrossFit,

I love you. You are the best. Today was the first time that I really feel like I kicked . Thank you.

7/18/09

Skill work: Pistols. I can easily go down to the 20" box with these, doing 5 in a row on each leg without losing my balance. Going any lower than that, I'm getting one or two in, or plopping down or losing my balance. Not too bad considering I've only worked on these twice before.

WOD: Cindy
This was my first time with Cindy, so I had no idea how many rounds to expect out of my exhausted body. In the end, that was probably the BEST thing that could have happened. I used the green band for pullups. First two rounds of pushups were full pushups, then I went to my knees for the remaining rounds

10 rounds +5 +10 +3

Sorry, but I just have to say that I ROCKED this WOD today ! This is the FIRST time since starting CF that I really felt awesome about my performance. I mean AWESOME!!!!! Frankly, I am not even sure how my body got through 110 pushups after doing those stupid 100 burpees yesterday. And, to top it off, all 11 rounds of the pullups were unbroken. Yes, yes, I know it is only 5 pullups per round, but ummmm, that was CRAZY for me. I can only do about 12 total unbroken pullups with the green band. I thought I would hit failure with the pullups pretty early on. I AM SUPER HAPPY RIGHT NOW!
Old 07-20-2009, 05:44 AM   #26
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

7/20/09

Skill work: Burgener hang clean progression

WOD “Manson”:
2-4-6-8-10
Deadlift
Hang power clean
Immediately followed by
10-8-6-4-2
Front squat
Push press
For time

10:22 with 45 lbs.

The push press is what killed me here. I got through the deadlifts and hang power cleans without a problem. But 30 reps of push press at 45 lbs was UGH. I just haven't had enough experience going overhead with that much weight. I had to break up the push press sets and that totally threw me off, even though front squats at 45 lbs are fine for me. Blah. Will have to work on the overhead stuff more.

My pullup saga continues. One of our regulars is out of town until August 14, and I told him I was going to have one unassisted dead hang pullup by the time he returned. WHY?!?! So, I've been trying to figure out what the lowest resistance band is that I can use to get one pullup with. Today, I was able to get in one chest to bar pull up with the Jump Stretch mini band. I then got in two consecutive ones with the mini band, but I could only go chin to bar, not chest to bar. So, I'm going to continue warming up with the green, average band and then throw some reps in with the monster mini and mini bands. We'll see. August 14 is only a few weeks away.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:41 AM   #27
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

7/21/09

Skill work: Find 1RM for snatch. I didn't even come close to finding my 1RM. Totally ran out of time. Ended up at 53 lbs. That's not even a 5RM. But, I haven't gone heavy with the snatch yet, so I really had no base to work from.

WOD:
AMRAP in 12 minutes
10 one armed dumbbell snatches (5 per side) with 12 lbs
10 knees to elbows

4 rounds + 5 dumbbell snatches (on right side)

First time with dumbbell snatches. They are not my friend. It took me 30 reps to get a feel for them, and by then, the WOD was almost over. I could have gone with a 10 lb dumbbell, but that really wouldn't have improved things much.

Knees to elbows are killing my time because I am insisting on really throwing it up and getting KNEES TO ELBOWS. Seriously, I don't want to sacrifice on this and just barely pull my knees up. I am not getting there on every rep, but I am TRYING to get there on every rep. I'm happier that way.

My shoulders are totally destroyed after the push press yesterday and the snatching today. Need some serious stretching.

I am FREAKING OUT because we are going on vacation today. We're dumping the kiddos in Georgia and then heading to NYC for 4 days. I won't be back at my box until Monday. I wish I could say that I will be able to work out at an NYC box, but I'm pretty sure that is not in my husband's plan. Still, I'm going to try to swing by at least one and maybe snag a t-shirt. I'm worried about CF withdrawl. I'm bringing my jump rope to NYC.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #28
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Thanks, Mandy! My in-laws have a condo in the city, so we get to stay there for free, which is awesome. But, it's all the way down by Battery Park, so the rest of the city is far, ha. We are going to venture all the way to Brooklyn on Friday night to have happy hour at the Brooklyn Brewery! Mmmmm, beer. I am NOT on the 30 day Paleo plan with the group at my box, heh.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #29
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

ETA: The BIG news of the vacation is that I registered for the Level 1 Cert in Atlanta, Nov 21-22! Woot!

7/23/09 and 7/24/09

My in-laws' condo in NYC has a gym. NOT a CF-friendly gym at all, heh. But, since it was there, we went on Thursday and Friday. I basically ran on the treadmill both days for about 10 minutes, did situps and pushups, lat pulldowns (no gravitron) and then messed around with a "body bar." They had these small Life Fitness barbells...I tried to clean one, and it was weighted totally wrong. No spin. So, I got the heaviest body bar, which was 18 lbs. It's basically like using weighted PVC, but a little too big in diameter. I did some hang cleans and hang snatches with it. Not a major workout either day, but I did get to laugh at the guy who was doing these obsene looking forearm exercises and 40 lb lat pulldowns. Oh, and there was the other guy using a weight belt to squat 20 lb dumbbells, so that was kind of funny. We walked about 4 miles on Wednesday, 7 miles on Thursday, and a few more on Friday, so I didn't feel too bad about taking a vacation.

7/26/09

Back in Ashevegas. Went to the YMCA gym. Usual routine of situps, pushups, squats, and pullups on the gravitron, which is always so fascinating to the other gym members. Also some back extensions and some barbell swings. I was going to run 800m on the treadmill and then ride the bike while I listened to some new iPod tunes. But, I ended up doing intervals on the treadmill instead. I basically spent 20 minutes doing 200m and 400m runs. I walked for a minute or two in between each run for recovery. Running on a treadmill sucks, but it was definitely more useful than me riding the bike and focusing on my new Too Short music. Ended with some plank holds and side plank holds, supermans, and some stretching.

Can't wait to get back to my CF box tomorrow!

Last edited by Tamara Cohen : 07-26-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: BIG news!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #30
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

7/27/09

First day back at the box after vacation. I hope I did sweat out all the alcohol from my body.

Skill work: back squat, 3RM = 110 lbs.
My first and only back squat was on 6/19/09. My 5RM then was 100 lbs. Got to a 3RM of 110 today. The third rep was a struggle, so I called it quits there. Then, one of my coaches told me to throw on another 5 lbs, but by the time I did that, we were ready to start the WOD. Anyway, I did 1 rep at 115 lbs just because the weight was already on there. Will work from a 3RM of 110 next time.

WOD:
20 power cleans - 75 lbs
400m run
20 pullups - green band
6:15

So, the fact that I went to failure on the pullups and had to eek out 1 at a time at the end just ticked me off, and I left in a really bad mood. Then, I realized I just need to GET OVER MYSELF. 115 for a second back squat attempt isn't shabby. And, I have NEVER cleaned 75 lbs 20 times in a row. I felt really good about that part of the WOD, the run was decent, my pullups just weren't what I wanted. Whatever.

Also, this was the first time I have worked out with the evening crew, since I'm a 6:00 am girl. I realized that my perception of how well I'm doing is definitely colored by who I'm working out with. Not that I'm comparing myself to everyone else But, there were 5 other women working out tonight, and I don't think anyone else got close to squatting 100 lbs. That did help me feel a little better because I WAS ALSO NOT THE SLOWEST PERSON, which always irks me to no end. Sigh.