CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #31
Wes Peart

Profile:
Re: Deadlift: Mixed Grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Auerbach View Post
Just to clarify, I'm not advocating using the over/under grip, just sharing my personal experience. Hopefully Ben can decide whether or not using the over/under grip is worth it or not.

I won't get too far off topic comparing powerlifting versus weightlifting injuries, but I agree powerlifting has gotten completely out of hand IMO with the supportive equipment and lifting styles many lifters employ to drastically shorten the range of motion necessary to complete a lift. The potential for a devastating injury is greatly increased because lifters are attempting lifts far beyond what their bodies could do unequipped.
Actually gear has if anything decreased the number of injuries. Pec tears while max shirt benching are waaay more rare than when max raw benching. If you look at a lot of 70's and 80's era powerlifters lifting a lot of their lifts looked relatively "easy" because they'd injure themselves if they had to grind out a lift. You can see it in squats too, the suits take off a lot of pressure on the bottom of the lift which is where the injuries happen...
Old 06-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #32
Marlon Reid

Profile:

Speaking from my own experience only, Ive found that the mixed grip makes Dlifting easier, however, if I utilize them too early in a Dlifting Cycle my Grip development suffers..So I generally stick with an "Un-Mixed?" grip until my heavier weights/sets.

Hope it makes sense or helps.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #33
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Auerbach View Post
I believe you'll be fine using the hook grip for deadlifting. That's all I use these days for the OL's, pulls and deadlifts.
Great success! I just tried this out today with the main page 7x1 deadlifts. My thumbs are a touch raw, but I didn't experience any pain or anything, and that was with a max lift. I really like the symmetrical pulling position, and I think I'm going to stick with it. Would a hook grip be a good or a bad idea on metcons?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:15 AM   #34
Ralph Nederman

Profile:

Is it possible that a person's hands are too small for an effective hook grip?
Old 07-23-2009, 05:43 AM   #35
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
I really like the symmetrical pulling position, and I think I'm going to stick with it. Would a hook grip be a good or a bad idea on metcons?
I can't think of any reason it would be bad for a metcon...if a hook grip keeps you from having to set the bar down your time will be faster, which means higher average power output, which means better results, which means....eventual world domination?
Old 07-23-2009, 06:01 AM   #36
John Praeuner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Nederman View Post
What is more likely is that smaller hands will cause your initial hooked grip to be more uncomfortable than it would be for someone with larger hands.
But once you get used to the position you shouldn't have any issues. We have several women with tiny hands who use the hook grip.. just gotta give it time

I've been using hooks in my CnJ, snatch and DL for years, with no problem. I have also cheated and used straps for my dl's because I'm a pansy :P
Old 07-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #37
Adam Auerbach

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
Great success! I just tried this out today with the main page 7x1 deadlifts. My thumbs are a touch raw, but I didn't experience any pain or anything, and that was with a max lift. I really like the symmetrical pulling position, and I think I'm going to stick with it. Would a hook grip be a good or a bad idea on metcons?
Feel free use the hook grip for those as well!

FWIW, sometimes for additional grip strength work, I use a double overhand grip w/o the hook on warmup sets. I always use the hook grip for Olympic lifting movements after 60 kgs in order to keep the arms "relaxed" allowing me to maintain proper lifting technique.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #38
Adam Auerbach

Profile:

I don't see that causing a problem unless you are lifting on a "fat grip" bar. If you find the standard 28mm Olympic bars are too large in diameter you might want to consider switching to a 25mm bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Nederman View Post
Old 07-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #39
Scott Stevens

Profile:

I remember seeing an AgainFaster video where Gilson mentioned something like "don't mixed grip any weight you might want to clean some day".
Old 07-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #40
Ryan Webernick

Profile:

I tore my bicep 2 months ago going for a PR on a mixed grip deadlift. I do not use steroids. I may or may not have bent my arm during the lift. I don't think I did, though.

Basically, there is more tension on the bicep of the supinated arm. Same concept as doing chinups instead of pullups to hit your biceps more.

I think there are a lot of factors that can contribute to the injury. In my case, I believe it was the amount of pullups I did in my prior workout. I remember my arms being a bit sore, but not thinking it would impact a deadlift workout. I should have taken a rest day.