CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #21
Michael Wengloski

Profile:
Re: Deadlift: Mixed Grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
...why would you...i don't....

so confused...
Common since isn't too common.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #22
Richard West

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
...why would you...i don't....

so confused...
I did it once as a joke. It was as funny as you'd expect.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #23
Zach Gates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Auerbach View Post
I really don't see where an over/under grip would necessarily increase the chance of a torn bicep unless your arms are bent when pulling and you yank the bar off the floor. I've officially deadlifted 600 lbs with an over/under grip and have used this grip style for years and have never had any issues with biceps pulls.
Anecdotally, I've seen a lot of biceps tears over the years from deadlifting, and it's NEVER been on the overhand arm. Look for it in videos, it's always the underhand. Here's just three random examples:

ALL LINKS SFW SAVE POSSIBLE LANGUAGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_nIfVwZ1RU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls9EygRn_3c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW6dTdSnDtU

Point being, KEEP YOUR BICEPS HEALTHY.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #24
Adam Auerbach

Profile:

Other factors come into play with bicep tears. Steroid use, lack of complete elbow extension, pulling on the bar in a ballistic fashion. Anything can happen. I've seen more catastrophic injuries from Olympic weightlifting than powerlifting such as blown patella tendons, dislocated elbows and broken wrists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Gates View Post
Anecdotally, I've seen a lot of biceps tears over the years from deadlifting, and it's NEVER been on the overhand arm. Look for it in videos, it's always the underhand. Here's just three random examples:

ALL LINKS SFW SAVE POSSIBLE LANGUAGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_nIfVwZ1RU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls9EygRn_3c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW6dTdSnDtU

Point being, KEEP YOUR BICEPS HEALTHY.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:23 AM   #25
Andrew Durham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Francis View Post
I'm only surprised that the trainer advocated deadlifts in the first place. I would think that liability for back injury would worry them more than elbow problems. funny, funny, funny
Yeah me too. This guys training methods do differ slightly than the average Globo Trainer though. I have seem some of his group classes that appear to be CF like. I think he's a CF hater though. I had my CF shirt, the one we get at the Level 1, and one of his clients asked me about CF. He was quick to step in and not let me give them an ear full. Probably not a hater, just doesn't wasn't to loose an client to something better than his program.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:18 AM   #26
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

On a related note... do you think the mixed grip torques the spine a bit when lifting heavy?
Old 06-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #27
Zach Gates

Profile:

Quote:
Other factors come into play with bicep tears. Steroid use, lack of complete elbow extension, pulling on the bar in a ballistic fashion. Anything can happen. I've seen more catastrophic injuries from Olympic weightlifting than powerlifting such as blown patella tendons, dislocated elbows and broken wrists.
Okay, two things:

1) Regardless of the "factors" you cite, the point is that by and large it's the supinated arm that tends to be more at risk of tears than the pronated. The "factors" are merely further symptoms thereof.

2) Then you haven't seen many powerlifting injuries. 99% of Oly lifting injuries I see are popped joints and wrists. By its very nature PL is more injury prone since the weights lifted are the most the person's body can handle, worse still when we're talking equipped. A dislocated elbow or a broken wrist is pretty mild compared to a shattered sternum or having the quadricep muscles tear completely off the knee.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #28
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Quote:
The over/under grip style(powerlifting grip) is a cheat grip. It helps keep the bar from slipping out of the lifters hands, but the strength crossover to other grip related exercises won't be as effective as an overhand grip.
I totally agree. I was just pointing out that it would maintain/improve grip strength more than a hook grip. Another thing to check out for the double overhand is the reverse hook grip, with the thumb wrapping over the fingers. (WFS)

In regards to strength, do you think that with all the other grip-intensive exercises in CF, a hook grip on DL's wouldn't really be a detriment and would only save precious biceps (and their peekz)?

Last edited by Ben Moskowitz : 06-06-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: link
Old 06-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #29
Adam Auerbach

Profile:

Just to clarify, I'm not advocating using the over/under grip, just sharing my personal experience. Hopefully Ben can decide whether or not using the over/under grip is worth it or not.

I won't get too far off topic comparing powerlifting versus weightlifting injuries, but I agree powerlifting has gotten completely out of hand IMO with the supportive equipment and lifting styles many lifters employ to drastically shorten the range of motion necessary to complete a lift. The potential for a devastating injury is greatly increased because lifters are attempting lifts far beyond what their bodies could do unequipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Gates View Post
Okay, two things:

1) Regardless of the "factors" you cite, the point is that by and large it's the supinated arm that tends to be more at risk of tears than the pronated. The "factors" are merely further symptoms thereof.

2) Then you haven't seen many powerlifting injuries. 99% of Oly lifting injuries I see are popped joints and wrists. By its very nature PL is more injury prone since the weights lifted are the most the person's body can handle, worse still when we're talking equipped. A dislocated elbow or a broken wrist is pretty mild compared to a shattered sternum or having the quadricep muscles tear completely off the knee.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #30
Adam Auerbach

Profile:

I believe you'll be fine using the hook grip for deadlifting. That's all I use these days for the OL's, pulls and deadlifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
I totally agree. I was just pointing out that it would maintain/improve grip strength more than a hook grip. Another thing to check out for the double overhand is the reverse hook grip, with the thumb wrapping over the fingers. (WFS)

In regards to strength, do you think that with all the other grip-intensive exercises in CF, a hook grip on DL's wouldn't really be a detriment and would only save precious biceps (and their peekz)?