CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
Mark Martinez

Profile:
Re: tendonitis

How thin are VFF's versus say Kung Fu/Karate shoes and the like? For now, my K-streets should be okay for outside.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #12
Camille Lore

Profile:  

I think they say the bottom is 2mm. It's just a thin layer of their rubber.
Enough that pebbles don't hurt, but you can still feel the temperature of the ground.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:14 AM   #13
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

If you really want to run in minimal shoes, try running in aquasocks. Works very well for running over small pebbles or nasty stuff on beaches. Be aware it will not save your toes from larger stones.

IMHO, the best all-purpose shoes to run POSE/natural-style in are those cross-country running shoes that have no spike inserts, but rubber soles - the old Nike Waffle models were great (maybe in the US, you can still get some - Nike Zoom Waffle Racer - be sure to get the model with the full rubber sole, not the one with the convertible spike inserts). These shoes have good toe protection, but are still very light and have a good, direct feel.

Regards,

Christian
Old 04-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #14
Mark Martinez

Profile:

I was thinking of Aquasocks too. Maybe even using diving booties, but that offers even less protection. Thanks for the tips.

As for my elbow, the doc said lateral epicondylitis. Wow! I could've come up with that one. It has slowly resolved itself with rest. I didn't do anything Fri - Sun and I only did squats/push-press yesterday, rowed 5k today.

My right patellar pain is still there but substanially much lower. I know it will be back to where it was if I run again. I have a PT referral for it.

Originally both left and right calves were sore. I'm also still experiencing DOMS in my right calf only. I'm still slightly limping because of it. I've been using my massager on it. Squats may have aggravated it yesterday.

Guess I'll take some anti-inflammatories and shut up.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #15
James Mazzarisi

Profile:

Maybe devote a day a week exclusively to stretching/yoga?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #16
James Mazzarisi

Profile:

Also, if you have tendonitis in your calves, it may be due to tight hips. Get the hips loosened real well; this will take tension off the hamstrings and then the calves.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #17
Jae Chung

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Martinez View Post

Guess I'll take some anti-inflammatories and shut up.
Hi Mark (and OP),

What's your diet like? Have you tried cutting out grains and dairy completely for a month? Apparently Robb Wolf has had lots of success with some of his clients who came to him with achilles tendinitis, patellar tendinitis, etc. by just having them cut grains and dairy for a while.

I've only been on Paleo for a week now. I'm well aware that I could be going through a placebo effect, but I do feel that I'm experiencing superior improvement than expected with two injuries (chronic plantar fasciitis and what I think is acute patellar tendinitis).
Old 04-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #18
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Jae,

I'll try strict Paleo someday. That's great about the recovery. How long did it take for the pain to resolve with the grain/dairy restriction?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #19
Jae Chung

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Martinez View Post
Jae,

I'll try strict Paleo someday. That's great about the recovery. How long did it take for the pain to resolve with the grain/dairy restriction?
Mark,

I'm assuming you're asking about Robb's clients? I'm not sure. I got the impression that it was on the scale of 2-3 months, but I don't really know. If you ask him by email or something, he'll probably get back to you eventually.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #20
Danny Coelho

Profile:

[/quote] Might be a good idea to start eating the cartilage and tendons off your meat too.[/quote]

Can you explain this a bit further. I think I might know what you are talking about but want to make sure. I currently am dealing with Tendinitis/tennis elbow after doing some cleans. Thank you in advance