CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #121
Phillip Garrison

Profile:
Re: What is considered fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
your ability to navigate a icy sidewalk is a modal domain though. So if you have poor balance you will be limited in the modal domains through which you can express work capacity!!!!

Really?! You consider a triathlon to be a good representation of work capacity across broad time and modal domains??? 3 modal domains executed over extremely long time domains. That does not seem very broad to me at all.

And while lance may be able to out preform many CF-ers at generating work capacity over long time domains regardless of modal domain, would that be enough to compensate for his low work output at shorter time domains? If it is then he would be fittest But I have a feeling probably not.
In his prime Lance was a pretty good time trial and short track cyclist too, which means he was pretty good at producing peak power over short periods of time. An elite level triathlete covers 137.4 miles of territory via swimming, biking, and running in under 8 hours. Which means their mean power output during that time is way above average. How do you define broad? It's a pretty vague term. How about a baseball player who needs to display lots of different types of abilities over a 3 hour game? Or a lacrosse player?
Old 03-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #122
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Robert,

You need different abilities to navigate a board room, cocktail party, the jungle, ski slope and really bad ghetto neighborhoods. WHat is "fit" varies from each of these in the idea that different skills and physical attributes are necessary for optimal performance.

If you say life, people say "I sit on my *** all day and post messages on web sites". If you say "fit for reproduction", than "large amount of money" would win this one and a close second would be personality.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #123
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
Such as? I would like to hear them so I can add them to my programming. A few more modal domains couldn't hurt!
How about being a great deadlifter, or daily hang clean pulls. The point is we keep using "life" as a reason for why CF is the best, yet hardly anything we do in CF betters prepares you for the necessities of modern life.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #124
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
If you say "fit for reproduction", than "large amount of money" would win this one and a close second would be personality.
That's why I workout alot, since I'm striking out in the money and personality department
Old 03-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #125
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
I've had many - but that is irrelevant.

I am asking you because you stated there is a BIG DIFFERENCE between a coach and a trainer, so I would like to see what the big difference is from you.
Sean what is your definition of a coach?
Old 03-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #126
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrison View Post
In his prime Lance was a pretty good time trial and short track cyclist too, which means he was pretty good at producing peak power over short periods of time. An elite level triathlete covers 137.4 miles of territory via swimming, biking, and running in under 8 hours. Which means their mean power output during that time is way above average.
Then they are fairly fit under that definition of fitness. What is your point?

Quote:
How do you define broad? It's a pretty vague term. How about a baseball player who needs to display lots of different types of abilities over a 3 hour game? Or a lacrosse player?
You really need me to define broad? Ok everything from 1 nanosecond to the end of your life. How is that?
Old 03-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #127
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

My point is the same one I've made since the beginning. "Fit" is highly dependant upon goals and needs.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #128
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Robert,

You need different abilities to navigate a board room, cocktail party, the jungle, ski slope and really bad ghetto neighborhoods. WHat is "fit" varies from each of these in the idea that different skills and physical attributes are necessary for optimal performance.
And the person able to navigate all of those situations best will be able to adapt best and therefore be the fittest.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #129
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
I'm a strength coach, I teach athletes how to be bigger, faster, stronger, more agile, and better prepared for their sport, by teaching them new skills, improving technique in old skills, and developing long term programs to maximize all those skills. How is my question irrelevant? I'm a coach in the sense that you and everyone else defines a coach. A personal trainer typically works with 1 or 2 people or small groups and typically is focused on very narrow aspects of health/ fitness. While a coach typically works with a wide range of and groups of athletes (which is a different population) over a long period of time.
The coaches, trainers, teachers, professors, colleagues, mentors and all of the life experiences I have had are totally irrelevant to this discussion because you were the one making the distinction and I was asking you what the "big difference" was.

I found several posts of yours that made it appear as though you train people - I'll have to reread those posts of yours to see if you actually said you were a coach and not a trainer, or whether you even made such a distinction.

Anyway, when I presented them to you in this thread, you made the distinction that you are not a trainer, but a coach and that there is a "big difference" between the two of types of people.

Now it appears you made a further distinction from a coach, trainer and a personal trainer.

Really - I don't care, but I just wanted to see what you think differs between the two.

Personally, I don't see what you do as being any different from what happens at 1,000+ affiliates across the world each day during WODs, and the overall programming (work/rest/nutrition/etc.) that comprises CrossFit.

I am actually kinda glad you are on this board. I think you have the opportunity to learn a lot from it.

People involved in CrossFit and especially those who "drink the koolaid" (read the journal articles, write them, do additional research and training, attend certifications, participate in competitions, train others in the principles of CrossFit, work out at affiliates, OWN affiliates, etc.) are coming from a different paradigm than the "old school" fitness world. I don't need to explain that to you, since you are already here and see where your views conflict and differ with so many other people.

Cheers.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #130
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Can't we just refer to the "What is Fitness" Journal article?

Sorry if I missed it but I don't think this was posted yet -- wfs
http://library.CrossFit.com/free/pdf/CFJ-trial.pdf

PS: I posted a link (Post #7 of this thread) to Coach discussing the Sickness-Wellness-Fitness continuum found on page 3 of the Article, but apparently nobody believes what Coach has to say on this matter.

I'm done with this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
We're not nobodies...just (for some reason) the minority in this thread.

- Alex
Alex-
and I got sucked back into it...