CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Overhead lifts cause stunted growth?

If i remember right skeletal maturity is about 16 17 when the bones are fully harden and their growth plates are reasonable set.
Of course this is going to vary from person to person say by plus or minus a couple of years. Growth activity is ongoing by til 22 but no where near the rapid spurts of 12-18 range.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #12
George Mounce

Profile:

Plenty of kids do handstands...would this not be comparative to an overhead lift of appreciable weight? Sara's post pretty much sums it up. My son when old enough to lift something, will be doing it!
Old 01-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #13
Sara Fleming

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
If i remember right skeletal maturity is about 16 17 when the bones are fully harden and their growth plates are reasonable set.
Of course this is going to vary from person to person say by plus or minus a couple of years. Growth activity is ongoing by til 22 but no where near the rapid spurts of 12-18 range.

Frank is right. During the rapid growth phases, kids have a hard time adapting to their new heights and coordination and balance often goes out the window. I think that this is often the bigger danger than actual growth plate injuries. This is why strict supervision and a well-developed program and REST and RECOVERY is so importantt for young athletes. Overzealous parents and coaches are as big a danger to these children incorrect or lack of supervision. So, until they reach the kind of skeletal maturity that Frank describes, a 1RM effort or a power lift can be a danergous attempt for an uncoordinated kid who just shot up 2 inches overnight and hasn't caught up on their balance.

Body building, to me, focuses way too much on aesthetics to be healthy for young people and there are too many opportunities to cheat or use unhealthy means to get where they want to get for it to be a safe sport. However, that being said, I do know natural bodybuilders who do it safely and smartly and under the wing of one of these good mentors, it may be a reasonable pursuit.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #14
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Great thread with wonderful contributions, Sara. Thanks a bunch.

--bingo