CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
Colin McLafferty

Profile:
Pre-SOF WODs

Hey all,

There was an article in the CF journal awhile back about a pre-BUD/S training facility in Encinitas, CA. It has a few workouts listed in the article, so I consolidated them for myself and decided I'd post it here, too. The trainers suggested that their students complete one workout per week in addition to 3-4 CF WODs throughout the week. The first workout listed represents what they did on week 1, the second week 2, etc. I've done week two already (55:35) and plan to complete the rest. The times listed are the maximum times allowed.

1 mile warm up
3 mile run (40 minutes permitted)
Angie (30 minutes permitted)

1 mile warm up
Cindy
2 mile run
100 sit ups, 100 flutter kicks
2 mile run

Murph (45 minutes)
25 knees to elbows
50 flutter kicks
75 sit ups
100 leg levers (30 mins to complete ab work)

Fran (20 mins)
6 mile run

I mile run and stretch
3 miles (24 mins)
Angie (40 mins)

1 mile warm up
Cindy (minimum 20 rounds)
Austere / Tire PT for 60 minutes

Murph (45 mins)
5, 10, 15- 25 up and down pyramid: Flutter kicks, sit ups, leg levers

Fran (10 mins)
"Attack the Beach" PT (classic bodyweight PT on the beach..involves getting wet and sandy and running up stairs before most exercises)

Angie (28 minutes)
1 mile

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf..._Training4.pdf (swimming WODs)

1 mile
3 rounds: 20 push ups, 30 sit ups, 40 squats
Old 01-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: Pre-SOF WODs

Check out what Coach Ord has done at his new gym Brass Ring Fitness. They are extended CF workouts with mission scenarios to along with them.
Link:
http://www.brassringfitness.com/nswn...ssion-profile/ (wfs)
Old 01-06-2009, 05:36 AM   #3
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Shane,

Those are some great workouts. Thanks for giving me the heads up. I just did one of them yesterday without the swimming portion because I don't have a pool.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Shane thanks for the link, very interesting.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Jackson Mayer

Profile:

Colin, thanks for putting those workouts up there, but i have a question or two. So you would maybe do those on your rest day? or maybe like on a day that isnt too hard for crossfit? I'm just trying to figure out when i would do those, cause they sound insane.
And shane, that link is awesome. Thanks for that. The workout on there this week calls for a rucksack? I'm guessing that is similair to the x-vest, but does anyone know where to get that?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
James Reynolds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Mayer View Post
The workout on there this week calls for a rucksack? I'm guessing that is similair to the x-vest, but does anyone know where to get that?
Rucksack can be equated to a backpack.

Colin, you need to work on your camo, bro lol
Old 01-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Jackson,

You're welcome, I'm glad you're using them. The articles explained that the workouts I listed should be done once a week in conjunction with three or four WODs per week. So I either do three WODs and then one of the Pre-SOF WODs or I'll do a WOD and Pre-SOF workout on the same day for a total of four WODs and a Pre-SOF in a week.

I've found that even with a tough WOD in the morning, a good six or eight hour break in between that and a Pre-SOF is enough.

James,

Hahaha fortunately that wasn't an attempt at camo. "Don't shoot till you see the whites of his ears" hah Id be worm food
Old 01-07-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
Michael Wengloski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McLafferty View Post
James,

Hahaha fortunately that wasn't an attempt at camo. "Don't shoot till you see the whites of his ears" hah Id be worm food
Got ya, being a ninja turtle for halloween never gets old, does it?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Mayer View Post
And shane, that link is awesome. Thanks for that. The workout on there this week calls for a rucksack? I'm guessing that is similair to the x-vest, but does anyone know where to get that?
Rucksack or ruck is essentially a military backpack. I wouldn't advise using a regular backpack instead of a special ruck for a workout, particularly running, since many backpacks are not designed to be "load-bearing" and will put undue strain on the wrong parts of your body. Plus, it'll probably tear.

An X-vest or MiR vest is close enough to a ruck for running and working out. There are minor differences in the mechanics but it's not that important. You can get good rucks in the store at navyseals.com and you can get the Xvest/MiR vests on their website or eBay which has good deals.

Also be very careful with ruck running. You may want to cut your ego out of it the first time and lighten up the load. Make sure your running form is very good. If you are on a hilly course, perhaps walk the downhills and run the uphills. This is counter-intuitive but it will be safer on your knees.

Coach Ord used to post 10k runs with 25# a lot. I just did one the other day and set a PR; be aware they are extremely difficult.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
Jackson Mayer

Profile:

Alright shane, thanks a lot, i'll definately look into that. And... on a side note, i just did the first workout that colin put up and got just under 50 minutes.
(40 minutes seems like a long time for the running as i was able to finish in 22) but nevertheless, that was an awesome workout.