CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
Jackson Mayer
Member Jackson Mayer is offline
 
Jackson Mayer's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sarasota  FL
Posts: 55
Running with X-Vest or Rucksack

So i've really been getting into this whole crossfit thing and decided to look into it a little more. I was reading the Pre-Sof WOD's thread and there was a link on there http://www.brassringfitness.com/nswn...ssion-profile/ (wfs) that gave some pretty cool workouts, anyways, i was looking into one and it said to use a Rucksack or X-Vest while running. Well, i know that most CF workouts dont call for these but i was wondering if anyone has an idea of what the distance would look like if you were wearing, say, a 35 lb vest.

So in essence my question is if you were running 500, 1000, 1500, 2000 meters, etc. How far would you have to run if you were wearing the vest. Cause i know it would alter the distance. Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
Jason Scheffler
Member Jason Scheffler is offline
 
Jason Scheffler's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton  NB
Posts: 579
Re: Running with X-Vest or Rucksack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Mayer View Post
So in essence my question is if you were running 500, 1000, 1500, 2000 meters, etc. How far would you have to run if you were wearing the vest. Cause i know it would alter the distance. Thanks
Why would it alter the distance? It would alter the suck factor though.

Murph for example can be done either with a weight vest or not but the distance stays the same.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
Andrew Cattermole
Affiliate Andrew Cattermole is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sydney  NSW
Posts: 418
Re: Running with X-Vest or Rucksack

My two Cents

Stay with a Max of 20lb Vest and work shortish sprints or Hill/Step work
And or
Walk (March)Fast Pace with a Big Heavy Mutha of a Pack through hilly outdoor terrain for Kms or Time
>40kg Loads
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Jackson Mayer
Member Jackson Mayer is offline
 
Jackson Mayer's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sarasota  FL
Posts: 55
Re: Running with X-Vest or Rucksack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Scheffler View Post
Why would it alter the distance? It would alter the suck factor though.

Murph for example can be done either with a weight vest or not but the distance stays the same.
ha, well i just figured that with the suck factor going up significantly, the distance might go down a bit, but maybe i was wrong?
__________________
Male/17/178lbs/6'0
I'm fast as lighting bra, you better grab your nike bra.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Jason Lopez-Ota
Member Jason Lopez-Ota is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Honolulu  Hawaii
Posts: 1,528
Re: Running with X-Vest or Rucksack

How bad is running with weight for your knees?

How far should you run with weight?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
John Penner
Member John Penner is offline
 
John Penner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kingsburg  CA
Posts: 167
Re: Running with X-Vest or Rucksack

I've got some friends I run w/ & I was thinking about throwing a few different items in my truck and draw for "who" has to carry "what" that day for maybe some 10 min. intervalls while doing stadium stairs @ the H.S.(its dead flat here). Maybe the list would have a couple kettle bells, a heavy backpack 50#, my heavy bag(carry it on shoulder or a 20# vest. This is sounding fun just thinking about it. They are going to FREAK
__________________
M/37/5'10"/162
running/cycling/&CFer
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
Ed Haywood
Member Ed Haywood is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Valrico  FL
Posts: 492
Re: Running with X-Vest or Rucksack

Don't run with a ruck on. It's terrible for all different parts of your body. Tears up your knees, ankles, lower back, even your neck. Think of everything bad about distance running, then double the impact. Those of us who made a career of it in the military all feel the wear and tear of it, and many guys are semi-crippled from it. Besides, what is the point if you're not getting paid to do it? The only reason to run with a ruck is to train yourself to run with a ruck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
Chris Robinson
Member Chris Robinson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Bern  NC
Posts: 361
Re: Running with X-Vest or Rucksack

The following is a list of all http://www.navyseals.com (wfs) workouts (excluding Hero WODs such as Murph) from 1 September 2007 to the present that called for a rucksack/backpack/weighted vest. Hopefully it will provide some guidance for those questioning how often, how far, and how heavy to train with a pack/vest.

22 Dec 2007 - Trail Ruck Run 4 to 8 miles - * Load up back pack (small two-day pack is fine) with at least 20lbs. Get off the beaten path and double-time.

5 Jan 2008 - Rucksack Beatdown - With a rucksack (backpack) weighing a minimum of 25lbs. do 4 rounds of:
- 50 Squats
- 40 Push-ups
- 30 Knees-to-elbows
- 20 Pull-ups
- Run 400m

Then do 50 Burpees

12 Jan 2008 - Wearing a 25lbs. Rucksack (backpack): Run 10k

19 Jan 2008 - With a rucksack (backpack) weighing at least 25lbs. double time max distance in 1 hour.

8 Feb 2008 - With a rucksack weighing a minimum of 25lbs., do 5 rounds of:
- Run 1 mile
- 20 burpees

16 Feb 2008 - Rucksack Hump - With a rucksack weighing a minimum of 25lbs., doubletime or march 10k

15 March 2008 - "Rucksack Run" - With a rucksack (backpack) weighing a minimum of 25lbs., run 10k

11 April 2008 - 5 mile Rucksack Run (25lbs. minimum)

19 April 2008 - With a rucksack weighing 25lbs. minimum do:
- 50 Pull-ups
- Run 1 mile
- 50 Push-ups
- Run 1 mile
- 50 Squats
- Run 1 mile
- 50 Burpees
- Run 1 mile

26 April 2008 - 10k rucksack run - minimum of 25lbs.

3 May 2008 - 10 k Rucksack Run/Hump - minimum of 25lbs.

31 May 2008 - 6 mile Rucksack hump

14 June 2008 - 6 mile Rucksack Run/Hump (30lbs.)

21 June 2008 - Load up your rucksack with at least 25lbs.
Run 2 miles
3 rounds of:
- 25 pull-ups
- 25 Push-ups
- 25 KTE
- 25 Squats
Run 2 miles

5 July 2008 - 5 mile rucksack run

19 July 2008 - Rucksack Run - 4 miles with at least 25lbs

9 August 2008 - Rucksack Run - 5 miles minimum with at least 25lbs.

30 August 2008 - 10k Rucksack Run (25lbs.)

15 Oct 2008 - "Rucksack Run" - With a rucksack (backpack) weighing a minimum of 25lbs., run 10k

25 Oct 2008 - With a rucksack weighing 25lbs. minimum:
- 50 Pull-ups
- Run 1 mile
- 50 Push-ups
- Run 1 mile
- 50 Squats
- Run 1 mile
- 50 Burpees
- Run 1 mile

9 Dec 2008 - Warm-down: Rucksack run 3 miles (25lbs. minimum)
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:30 AM   #9
Jason Lopez-Ota
Member Jason Lopez-Ota is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Honolulu  Hawaii
Posts: 1,528
Re: Running with X-Vest or Rucksack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Haywood View Post
Don't run with a ruck on. It's terrible for all different parts of your body. Tears up your knees, ankles, lower back, even your neck. Think of everything bad about distance running, then double the impact. Those of us who made a career of it in the military all feel the wear and tear of it, and many guys are semi-crippled from it. Besides, what is the point if you're not getting paid to do it? The only reason to run with a ruck is to train yourself to run with a ruck.
Well say by some impossible chance of the stars aligning right someone here joins the military.

Last edited by Jason Lopez-Ota : 01-08-2009 at 01:46 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:02 AM   #10
Jackson Mayer
Member Jackson Mayer is offline
 
Jackson Mayer's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sarasota  FL
Posts: 55
Re: Running with X-Vest or Rucksack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Robinson View Post
The following is a list of all http://www.navyseals.com (wfs) workouts (excluding Hero WODs such as Murph) from 1 September 2007 to the present that called for a rucksack/backpack/weighted vest. Hopefully it will provide some guidance for those questioning how often, how far, and how heavy to train with a pack/vest.

22 Dec 2007 - Trail Ruck Run 4 to 8 miles - * Load up back pack (small two-day pack is fine) with at least 20lbs. Get off the beaten path and double-time.

5 Jan 2008 - Rucksack Beatdown - With a rucksack (backpack) weighing a minimum of 25lbs. do 4 rounds of:
- 50 Squats
- 40 Push-ups
- 30 Knees-to-elbows
- 20 Pull-ups
- Run 400m

Then do 50 Burpees

12 Jan 2008 - Wearing a 25lbs. Rucksack (backpack): Run 10k

19 Jan 2008 - With a rucksack (backpack) weighing at least 25lbs. double time max distance in 1 hour.

8 Feb 2008 - With a rucksack weighing a minimum of 25lbs., do 5 rounds of:
- Run 1 mile
- 20 burpees

16 Feb 2008 - Rucksack Hump - With a rucksack weighing a minimum of 25lbs., doubletime or march 10k

15 March 2008 - "Rucksack Run" - With a rucksack (backpack) weighing a minimum of 25lbs., run 10k

11 April 2008 - 5 mile Rucksack Run (25lbs. minimum)

19 April 2008 - With a rucksack weighing 25lbs. minimum do:
- 50 Pull-ups
- Run 1 mile
- 50 Push-ups
- Run 1 mile
- 50 Squats
- Run 1 mile
- 50 Burpees
- Run 1 mile

26 April 2008 - 10k rucksack run - minimum of 25lbs.

3 May 2008 - 10 k Rucksack Run/Hump - minimum of 25lbs.

31 May 2008 - 6 mile Rucksack hump

14 June 2008 - 6 mile Rucksack Run/Hump (30lbs.)

21 June 2008 - Load up your rucksack with at least 25lbs.
Run 2 miles
3 rounds of:
- 25 pull-ups
- 25 Push-ups
- 25 KTE
- 25 Squats
Run 2 miles

5 July 2008 - 5 mile rucksack run

19 July 2008 - Rucksack Run - 4 miles with at least 25lbs

9 August 2008 - Rucksack Run - 5 miles minimum with at least 25lbs.

30 August 2008 - 10k Rucksack Run (25lbs.)

15 Oct 2008 - "Rucksack Run" - With a rucksack (backpack) weighing a minimum of 25lbs., run 10k

25 Oct 2008 - With a rucksack weighing 25lbs. minimum:
- 50 Pull-ups
- Run 1 mile
- 50 Push-ups
- Run 1 mile
- 50 Squats
- Run 1 mile
- 50 Burpees
- Run 1 mile

9 Dec 2008 - Warm-down: Rucksack run 3 miles (25lbs. minimum)
oh dang, thanks a ton. That really does help to kind of know how much to do. And... Ed, i take it that you ran with a ruck on in your years?
__________________
Male/17/178lbs/6'0
I'm fast as lighting bra, you better grab your nike bra.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MiR Weighted Vest Sale - Get a 2nd empty vest for cheap with an order. Patrick Donnelly Equipment 2 08-22-2008 07:48 AM
Can't get a Mir vest - what other? Jaime Steele Equipment 0 07-19-2008 01:22 PM
Running with a wieght vest Shane Hanner Exercises 2 11-26-2006 06:44 PM
Weight Vest or X-Vest Michael Halbfish Equipment 2 11-19-2003 10:39 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.