CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Kristen Van Horn

Profile:
Sinus Surgery - Recovery

I have been a consistent CrossFitter along with doing the CrossFit Endurance site for a little over a month now. I cannot tell you enough about the amazing results I am getting. However, my progress will come to a screeching halt this coming Friday when I have sinus surgery. Has anyone gone through a similar experience -- non-injury related surgery? How did you get back into CrossFit? Is there anyway from losing the gains I have made recently through supplemental exercise? How long did it take to recover?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:
Re: Sinus Surgery - Recovery

I can't offer any tips on getting back into CF, as my surgery was years before I found it.

I can offer this. They probably told you to avoid sneezing if at all possible, but to not hold you nose if a sneeze was unavoidable. Follow this advice. The day after my surgery, I was in a Radio Shack and fought the urge to sneeze for a couple of minutes. Urge went away and I went about my business. A few minutes later it was back with no warning, in the middle of a conversation with the clerk. I reflexively held my nose during the sneeze...and promptly nearly passed out in the aisle from the pain. Friggin' brutal!
Old 01-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
John Frazer

Profile:

Double post deleted

Last edited by John Frazer : 01-04-2009 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Deleted double post
Old 01-04-2009, 06:47 AM   #4
John Frazer

Profile:

Kristen,

I had sinus surgery (repaired a deviated septum and had a turbinate reduction to open the airways) in 2006, after two years of CF. My doctor's instructions were to do no strength training, running, jumping for two weeks, I believe.

According to my workout diary, I pretty much stuck with that. The first several nights I slept so poorly that I was in no shape to work out. And I had tubes in my nose that would've hurt something awful.

Thirteen to 15 days after surgery, I was doing pullups, ring dips, Abmat situps, KB snatches, bench press, and heavy front squats. Seventeen days after surgery, I was back at a group WOD at CrossFit DC, which included box jump burpees, C&J, etc.

My advice is to enjoy the rest as best you can, and catch up on your reading. You'll have plenty of time to workout when it won't tear stitches or cause excess post-op bleeding. In fact, I felt great working out after the surgery, just because I could breathe so much better.

Good luck with the surgery and the recovery.

John
Old 01-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Exactly what John said.

I had the same surgery two years ago, and for the first week I couldn't even think about working out. I won't lie - the recovery is not fun. When you're ready to return, just be mindful of how you are feeling, and be careful with exercises like push-presses, jerks and SDHPs... bumping your nose with the bar would be disastrous.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
Eric Dewees

Profile:

For those who have had the surgery. Has it worked? I might need to have the surgery later this year.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
John Frazer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dewees View Post
For those who have had the surgery. Has it worked? I might need to have the surgery later this year.
The surgery I had worked very well for me. I sleep better and have fewer colds.

The recovery wasn't even so bad. I walked out of the hospital an hour after surgery and think I only missed 2-3 days of law school and work. (Which I spent on my couch with my casebooks and Blackberry.) I've had bouts with flu that were more disruptive.

Lots of irrigation (blood and gore - yuck) and sleeping sitting up for a couple of nights was rough. But after the first night, I didn't feel any need for the pain meds they prescribed.

YMMV enormously, of course, and the benefits have to be weighed against the risks of anaesthesia and surgery.

On the "return to CF" aspect, I also should mention that if you start working out prematurely and tear your stitches, you may end up having your sinuses packed with gauze. I had to have that once as a kid, and can assure you it'll put a bigger hurt on you than not working out for two weeks.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
Jim Broun

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dewees View Post
I had a turbinate reduction / repaired deviation / septoplasty due to constant sinus infections (basically, every time I got the sniffles, I would get a sinus infection). They were the kind of sinus infections where you wanted to jam a pencil through your face to relieve the pain. If you have been there, you know what I mean.

Two weeks after the surgery, I was fully recovered, and could actually breathe comfortably through my nose for the first time in my life.

It has now been 18 months since, and it is was the best decision I ever made. I never get sinus infections now. I rarely even get the sniffles, as my sinuses drain properly now. I spent weeks on the internet looking for advice on whether or not to get the surgery, and am very glad I went through with it. All of the post-operation drudgery (packing and splints and blood and rinsing...) was worth every single second.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Kristen Van Horn

Profile:

Thank you so much for all your great advice! I am interested to see how my workouts will be once I am not constantly sick and exhausted. Ironically, I started getting chronic sinus infections about a month after I started doing some CF WODs -- like 3 days a week, nothing like I am doing now following the WOD on the site. I am definitely not looking forward to being in pain but I think I've prepared myself for the worst. And my husband has been having me practice sneezing with my mouth open. Like he said, if you do it once through your nose, you probably won't do it again.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:33 AM   #10
John Frazer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Broun View Post
I had a turbinate reduction / repaired deviation / septoplasty due to constant sinus infections (basically, every time I got the sniffles, I would get a sinus infection). They were the kind of sinus infections where you wanted to jam a pencil through your face to relieve the pain. If you have been there, you know what I mean.
I had a few of those (fortunately not constant) -- but not any more.

They were always at the worst possible time, like the day before a major holiday. I once called my HMO to change my primary care doctor to the first person who could get me into his office.