CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
Christy Warren

Profile:
GOMAD even for women?

I have read and searched and I cannot find any reference to this or any women reporting on drinking a GOMAD. I am doing starting strength and have greatly increased my milk intake. I am 5'6", 150 lbs probably 24% bf squat 125#, bench 125#, DL 145#. Would anyone have any info on should I really be drinking a GOMAD? I can totally understand a 225 lb male, or even a 180# male. but a 150# female?
Old 12-23-2008, 10:45 PM   #2
Remington Jones

Profile:
Re: GOMAD even for women?

Let me preface that by saying I don't know anything.

From what I have read GOMAD is not a necessity for SS , it's a recommendation.

I think the goal behind GOMAD is to ensure your are getting enough protein and carbs to prevent your body from cannibalizing itself. Rememer Gomad is about getting large. So it's expected to have surplus.
It is my understanding that your body will only use as much protein as it needs then disposes of the rest. Too much protein is not going to hurt.
1-1.5 grams of protein per lbs of body weight per day is an excepted amount.

Basically the only risk you would run by GOMAD is gaining extra fat. And possibly upset stomach.

My advise drink Skim milk or 2% and don't obsess on drinking the whole gallon in a day.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
Jason David

Profile:

Really need a bit more info on your goals before I go there...
Old 12-24-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

DO NOT DRINK SKIM.

It has way more sugar in it and doesn't have the fat to blunt the blood sugar spike. Just drink less milk, but make sure it is whole milk.

GOMAD is there to add calories to improve recovery and to help add muscle mass. In addition to calories there is also IGF-1 which aids in recovery. The added muscle mass also helps make to stronger by changing the insertion agnle of the tendons in the bone to give you more mechanical advantage.

To echo Jason's statement, to giv eyou a good answer, we would need to know

1) How is your recovery?
2) How weel can you handle milk?
3) Are you looking to muscular size?
4) How readily to gain size (muscular or fat)?
5) What else you are doing besides the Starting Strength program?
6) And if you are infact doing the program?
Old 12-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
Justin Baum

Profile:

i would go right to the source and ask rip himself here:

************.net

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 12-24-2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: unqualified link
Old 12-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
Christy Warren

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
DO NOT DRINK SKIM.

It has way more sugar in it and doesn't have the fat to blunt the blood sugar spike. Just drink less milk, but make sure it is whole milk.

GOMAD is there to add calories to improve recovery and to help add muscle mass. In addition to calories there is also IGF-1 which aids in recovery. The added muscle mass also helps make to stronger by changing the insertion agnle of the tendons in the bone to give you more mechanical advantage.

To echo Jason's statement, to giv eyou a good answer, we would need to know

1) How is your recovery?
2) How weel can you handle milk?
3) Are you looking to muscular size?
4) How readily to gain size (muscular or fat)?
5) What else you are doing besides the Starting Strength program?
6) And if you are infact doing the program?
my recovery is good. I actually gain muscle pretty fast. I do have a nice spare tire around my waist. ALL my fat collects there. I don't mind gaining some fat to increase strength - but I don't want to get super fat. I have no problem drinking milk. Yes, I am looking to add muscle but mostly I am looking to increase my strength. I broke my leg and had rotator cuff surgery last winter - so this June I pretty much started completely over. i did crossfit WOD for a while to get back into shape. I have platued in the strength area and I am infact doing SS just as prescribed - only adding some ice hockey once or twice a week. i just can't imagine a smaller woman drinking GOMAD. thanks for helping out! and thank you Justin for the the rip forum link.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I f you are doing SS and making gains, keep doing what you're doing. At your first reset, see if you are getting the results you want (both performance and aesthetic), then just reset and keep doing it. If the strength is not coming along, then add a bunch of milk. I would work up to a half gallon at first.

The GOMAD idea was designed with thin, young males in mind and needs to be adjusted with this in mind.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
Charlie Karnick

Profile:

If you start doing GOMAD you are going to pack on pounds and some of those are definitely going to be fat, its not possible for you not to gain fat drinking GOMAD. You can lose weight and add muscle without the GOMAD if you're on the heavier side, but if you're on the scrawny side the GOMAD is strongly advised because its going to help build muscle quickly. You said you didn't want to get too fat but you wanted to gain strength I would continue on the SS without the GOMAD if I was you.

Last edited by Charlie Karnick : 12-24-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
Leon Chang

Profile:

Jamie- skim milk has sugar added? I didn't realize this. Is this standard for skim or only certain brands?

Thanks

Leon
Old 12-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
Remington Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
DO NOT DRINK SKIM.

Interesting I can't find any facts that say skim milk has more sugar then whole... I understand where you are coming from, but your logic does not make much sense to me. Fat to blunt the sugar spike sure, but whole is also double the calories of skim. Seems like either way you are going to gain fat.

Taken from SS FAQ @ bb.com

"Question - Why do I need to drink so much milk? What kind of milk should I drink?

Why milk?

1) It is VERY easy to ingest. Most kids can down a ton daily with cereal, pop tars, ice cream, protein drinks, etc, and for a skinny kid who is growing vertically as well as horizontally ( yeah puberty!), this is a VERY easy way to ensure you get your calories.

2) Protein, yeah protein...tons of high quality protein, as well as calcium. 1% milk will have a nearly ideal macronutrient profile for a growing kid as well.

Does this mean you HAVE to drink 1 gallon of whole milk daily? No. Is it recommended? Well, it sure is effective for adding necessary protein and calories while growing. If you are worried about the calories and fat, then drink skim. Note that Hola Bola, one of the best built natties on bb.com, drinks damn near a gallon of 1% or 2% daily. Granted, he is enormous, and has the resultant metabolic "advantage" of having over 200lbs of LBM, but he is also 25, not 15, and he isn't growing vertically as well as generally filling out.

Skinny dudes and relatively lean, athletic dudes can probably get away with drinking 1% or 2%. For those painfully skinny early teens, whole milk. Chubbies should stick to skim milk, obviously.

Milk isn't magical, although it is quite effective. Keep your calorie totals in mind when figuring out how much milk to drink."

Last edited by Remington Jones : 12-24-2008 at 02:27 PM.