CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #11
Dylan Miley

Profile:
Re: The only reason I'm going low carb right now is to lose bodyfat (very short rant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
Why am I walking away after reading this and feel its just a "look at me thread"
I don't know?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #12
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: The only reason I'm going low carb right now is to lose bodyfat (very short rant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
Why am I walking away after reading this and feel its just a "look at me thread"
Thinking the same and wondering what value the post has. Maybe should have been posted to testimonial thread. Maybe a MOD will move it.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 AM   #13
Nick Hanson

Profile:

Hey man, I can understand that you like grains and they don't bother you too much. However for quite a bit of us, when we eat them we feel like crap. I am one of those people. Just like you can make your own choice to eat 'low carb' or not eat 'low carb' we can all make our decisions to eat the way we want.

Trust me, the people on this board are intelligent enough to try for themselves and make their own decisions. We don't need you (or anyone else) to tell us that.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #14
Zach S

Profile:

What a ridiculous thread, i love how you lump everyone in the nutrition forum as followers of the paleo/zone way of eating. Id suspect that the true paleo/zoners are actually the minority here when it comes to people eating diary, grains, legumes.

I think most people will say that the best diet is one that works for you. If someone performs better on a GMOD or a high carb/low fat diet then that is what they should do. The reason most people will suggest the paleo/zone lifestyle is because IT WORKS. It works for the vast majority of people who use crossfit to lose excess weight, it also keeps them healthy and help build lean muscle mass. For people who want to put on mass or are exercising for 10+ hours a week is it right? Maybe not. You got to experiment with your own diet and find what works, the paleo/zone is just a very good starting point for anyone.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #15
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I would hardly consider the zone low carb, 40% of your calories come from carbs, assuming you aren't doing a fat multiplier version.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #16
Laura Kurth

Profile:

This thread is totally ridiculous, but just wanted to say - Jay your new avatar is funny
Old 12-10-2008, 11:46 AM   #17
Jason David

Profile:

I guess he could've saved a bit of time and said. "Look at me and I eat lots of carbs!!"
Old 12-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #18
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Miley View Post
My point of this thread is that for everyone who's new to crossfit because I know you're out there lurking, you don't have to follow the Paleo or Zone diet, it's simply something a lot of the disciples of Crossfit follow.
Well, this statement is true and I think he makes a good point. I absolutely think that a newbie looking around could very well feel compelled to adapt a paleo or zone diet based on what the majority of people here do.

The takeaway: don't do it just because everyone else is.

There is a herd mentality here at times, as demonstrated by how everyone just piled on this guy.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #19
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I think you're getting bashed here a lil' more then necessary; but I do find it curious that your definition of sensible eating:

"Eating sensible to me is eating a proper amount, depending on your goals, of whole grains, lean meat, nuts and seeds, veggies, fruits, and healthy fats."

Is almost verbatim what the basic CF diet is, and at least for the next month you are cutting carbs which of course correlates well to "little starch" as referenced in the basic CF diet suggestion.

I think you might be doing the cf/zone/paleo thing already but either don't realize it or refuse to admit it. Welcome.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #20
David Croushore

Profile:

I agree with the sentiment of the original post, but what a poor way to express it.

By declaring that you were going to be attacked for your position, you ensured that even neutral opinions could be seen as aggressive.

Yes, there are other diets out there, but saying "I'm only doing this for a little while, but I think I should say that I don't think it's the best thing" is unnecessary.

My take is that you were just talking to yourself.

"I don't believe in low carbs, but I need to cut weight, and it's supposed to work, so if I say that's why I'm doing it but only for now, then it doesn't count and my pro-carb dogma hasn't really been challenged."

Dogma sucks. Both sides are guilty. But this thread is just silly.