CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-10-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
Dylan Miley

Profile:
The only reason I'm going low carb right now is to lose bodyfat (very short rant)

For a certain reason I need to be lean and 'cut' next month. But after that I'm certainly going back to my ways of eating carbs, in a sensible way of course. Listen, I respect the knowledge a lot of you have obtained from studying whatever Paleo and Zone diet books you've read, it's certainly interesting and definitely can be effective. But I don't believe carbs are evil, or milk, legumes, etc. I believe if you exercise and eat sensible, you'll be ok. My point of this thread is that for everyone who's new to crossfit because I know you're out there lurking, you don't have to follow the Paleo or Zone diet, it's simply something a lot of the disciples of Crossfit follow.
I would suggest that a low carb diet would be effective for someone trying to lose weight, hell it's working great for me right now I've lost 10 pounds in about a month and actually clean and pressed a best of 295lbs. just yesterday. But as far as a lifestyle goes? It's unnecessary. You can eat your carbs, and your legumes, and your dairy, it won't kill you.

Thank you for reading.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Laura Kurth

Profile:
Re: The only reason I'm going low carb right now is to lose bodyfat (very short rant)

Wow, you've really opened my eyes
Old 12-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Kevin Perry

Profile:
Re: The only reason I'm going low carb right now is to lose bodyfat (very short rant)

You know there are other reasons besides weight loss that a lot of us go on low carb diets, although I think you are not sure what a true low carb diet is. But thats great, do what you feel like since no one is forcing you to eat zone or paleo?

By the way, enjoy your body building competition.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Dylan Miley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post
You know there are other reasons besides weight loss that a lot of us go on low carb diets, although I think you are not sure what a true low carb diet is. But thats great, do what you feel like since no one is forcing you to eat zone or paleo?

By the way, enjoy your body building competition.
I'm not a bodybuilder. Thanks for the compliment though I suppose.

I was expecting sarcastic responses. When someone presents a different view on proper nutrition for an active person, it's like blasphemy to you guys!

It's ok, you're set in your ways. I'm open to different views and opinions, that's why I would post here first of all.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Brandon Petersen

Profile:

I just switched to the "no Grains" approach, and have felt great. It's only been less than a week, but I assumed i would feel week etc. Not the case. Forcing myself to eat a ton of veggies, and even more fruit than I did. I have dropped a few pounds, which is what I needed, and my energy and strength has felt great.

I am sure there are a million different things that work for people (exagerating the number); it's just actually following something.
One thing i notice on these forums is how close minded some people are. I am sure "your way" works, but it doesnt mean other ways do NOT work. I for one, just like to listen to everyone and try things out. Sometimes that route can drive you nuts, trying to figure out what to follow, who to listen to etc, but realistically, i think if you just spill your goals, and listen to peoles opinions, the majority of people will be on the same page. Even the ones that are not on the same page, their methods could still work...

Crossfit is great. I just started doing the WOD religiously since last weekend, and i will continue to. I wasnt going to the gym for a long time, just training my Jiu Jitsu and MMA. I didnt feel great not going to the gym, but couldnt figure a way to incorporate a weight training program, where i wasnt fully sore the day after and so on. With Crossfit, i am never sore all over, areas/muscles are obviously, but easily to work through. I was doing full body workouts 2x a week prior, and entire body would be terrible sore for day, affecting my training and so on.

just my .02
Old 12-10-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
But I don't believe carbs are evil, or milk, legumes, etc. I believe if you exercise and eat sensible, you'll be ok...

I would suggest that a low carb diet would be effective for someone trying to lose weight, hell it's working great for me right now I've lost 10 pounds in about a month ...

...But as far as a lifestyle goes? It's unnecessary. You can eat your carbs, and your legumes, and your dairy, it won't kill you.
I'm confused. You said that carbs are not evil but then you suggested a low carb diet for someone wanting to lose weight ...

Also, On what research or evidence are you basing your beliefs and what is your definition of 'eating sensible'?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #7
Dylan Miley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Petersen View Post
I just switched to the "no Grains" approach, and have felt great. It's only been less than a week, but I assumed i would feel week etc. Not the case. Forcing myself to eat a ton of veggies, and even more fruit than I did. I have dropped a few pounds, which is what I needed, and my energy and strength has felt great.

I am sure there are a million different things that work for people (exagerating the number); it's just actually following something.
One thing i notice on these forums is how close minded some people are. I am sure "your way" works, but it doesnt mean other ways do NOT work. I for one, just like to listen to everyone and try things out. Sometimes that route can drive you nuts, trying to figure out what to follow, who to listen to etc, but realistically, i think if you just spill your goals, and listen to peoles opinions, the majority of people will be on the same page. Even the ones that are not on the same page, their methods could still work...

Crossfit is great. I just started doing the WOD religiously since last weekend, and i will continue to. I wasnt going to the gym for a long time, just training my Jiu Jitsu and MMA. I didnt feel great not going to the gym, but couldnt figure a way to incorporate a weight training program, where i wasnt fully sore the day after and so on. With Crossfit, i am never sore all over, areas/muscles are obviously, but easily to work through. I was doing full body workouts 2x a week prior, and entire body would be terrible sore for day, affecting my training and so on.

just my .02
Hi Brandon, I just posted in your clean and jerk thread! Some decent numbers for a guy your size by the way.
We're on the same boat actually, I just started doing a low carb thing, meaning I'll have my oatmeal in the morning, and some brown rice with meat after my workouts, and that's the extent of my grain intake. Like I said, just yesterday I did a best of 295lbs on the clean and jerk, I was so happy with myself! That's awesome you're involved in MMA, I just started taking classes, one of my friends who competes on the amatuer level is the one who introduced me to crossfit actually, they really do go hand in hand, it works out great.
Maybe it's just that I'm much larger than the average person, and I need more calories just to maintain my muscle. I'm not a bodybuilder but I do believe in maintaining my size as best as I can while training seriously in MMA and crossfit.
I appreciate the mature response buddy.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 AM   #8
Dylan Miley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
I'm confused. You said that carbs are not evil but then you suggested a low carb diet for someone wanting to lose weight ...

Also, On what research or evidence are you basing your beliefs and what is your definition of 'eating sensible'?
I can suggest something for someone looking to lose weight if it works, doesn't mean carbs are evil though. You can still lose weight with carbs in your diet too.

Eating sensible to me is eating a proper amount, depending on your goals, of whole grains, lean meat, nuts and seeds, veggies, fruits, and healthy fats. No need to neglect any of those from your daily intake IMO. Sure it can work for some people, the extremely low carb plans, the but it seems like that's the religion around here.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 AM   #9
Brandon Petersen

Profile:

Thanx man, i will check it out.

Ya i am not trying to cut my carbs, simple replace grain carbs with veggies and fruits. But i am def having a hard time, being i am very picky, and not a fan of Veggies. I will keep working on it though, but I have felt good the last few days.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #10
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Why am I walking away after reading this and feel its just a "look at me thread"