CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #21
Sharon Goff

Profile:
Talking Re: Help! Asap!! Ran out of blood pressure pills

Thank you Ganine for taking time to send the link to me! And, yes I'm much better today and will call my doctor in the morning so he can yell at me
I'll check out the website.
ox
Sharon G.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:21 PM   #22
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Help! Asap!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Randall View Post
George, I wish I could yell at my patients at the pharmacy like you do. A lack of common sense is a big problem in healthcare today.
To be clear, I don't yell at anyone. But I do use foul language on occasion (OK, sometimes a lot of it) to beat into the heads of pilot students the need to use common sense continually while flying.

I am going to petition that the entire public school system of the United States change the third grade curriculum to be nothing other than teaching common sense. You are right, the lack of common sense, and the apparent desire to rely on a screen and a keyboard for all the answers pains me to no end.

Seriously though, I am || to giving up on the internet. If the first inclination of anyone is to get on a forum to get an answer to a common sense problem, then our school system, parents, teachers, mentors have all failed.

Even an illiterate thief knows its time to run when they hear the hammer cocked back.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #23
Amy Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
To be clear, I don't yell at anyone. But I do use foul language on occasion (OK, sometimes a lot of it) to beat into the heads of pilot students the need to use common sense continually while flying.

I am going to petition that the entire public school system of the United States change the third grade curriculum to be nothing other than teaching common sense. You are right, the lack of common sense, and the apparent desire to rely on a screen and a keyboard for all the answers pains me to no end.

Seriously though, I am || to giving up on the internet. If the first inclination of anyone is to get on a forum to get an answer to a common sense problem, then our school system, parents, teachers, mentors have all failed.

Even an illiterate thief knows its time to run when they hear the hammer cocked back.
So George, 10x font in bright red letters isn't yelling on an internet forum? Hmm. I guess you only could have yelled louder if it had been all caps.

Cut Sharon some slack, for God's sake. She's a newbie ... haven't we all been at one time or another? She asked a question in the appropriate forum, a questions that isn't unlike many others.

And Frank, sitting down and "having a little learning lesson about your medical problems from your doctor" isn't necessarily an option these days, regardless of your insurance. What, you're so special that you get an extra 15 minutes of time from your doctor for a little chit-chat?

@$%# happens, and it happens to all of us. So Sharon forgot to get her meds refilled. Problem, yes. Looking for some support from a (supposedly) supportive, educated community that she's recently joined ... what's the problem with that?

Sharon Goff isn't lacking in common sense. She's trying to live, and improve her life, just like the rest of us. Cut her some slack!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #24
Jill Zimmerman

Profile:

Re: Help! Asap!! Ran out of blood pressure pills

You go Amy!

I think what the guys are lacking is some compassion for the frailty of human nature.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #25
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Crawford View Post
And Frank, sitting down and "having a little learning lesson about your medical problems from your doctor" isn't necessarily an option these days, regardless of your insurance.
Yes it is an option... and it becomes an option the moment a patient tells their primary healthcare provider regardless of license...
"I don't understand" "what is it?" "how can I get better?"

Its called "participation in one's own healthcare"; at that moment, its the responsibility of the that provider to take the time to explain the issue or find some way to convey that knowledge that is needed.

YOUR PAYING FOR THAT TiMe with them. It's his billing manager that allows 7 minutes for a follow up visit 10 minutes for a procedure, 15 minutes for a new patient examination. Not the doc.. so you have to hold them and get the information that you need or want. Otherwise, its " here is your prescription .. the pharmacy guy will explain it.. and oh... you need to not eat salt... see ya." Accepting that is cheating yourself.

Asking where or not if exercise to sweat is going to correct a cardiovascular problem is a sign of a knowledge problem coupled with a lifestyle problem. Someone's problem... either in the person who gave the diagnosis or the person that was on the receiving end. It needs to be rediscussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Crawford View Post
What, you're so special that you get an extra 15 minutes of time from your doctor for a little chit-chat?
YES.
I suppose Amy you walk into best buy , drop 3k on a tv because the techno nerd said the words..." its a good tv" ??????? PLease, you know full well that there is going to be a couple of questions. So why accept it with your doctor?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:53 PM   #26
Ben Chapman

Profile:

I'm with Frank and George.

Common sense would/should have been a much quicker fix to this problem. Don't workout when your blood pressure spikes like that, see a doctor. It's pretty simple.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:56 AM   #27
Sharon Goff

Profile:
Cool Re: Help! Asap!! Ran out of blood pressure pills

Yeah, that's my friend Amy talkin'.
Don't you wish your trainer was hot like mine?

Old 12-02-2008, 06:16 AM   #28
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post

I have enormous common sense...I use Google whenever I'm not entirely sure if I'm right or not. :stir:

I'm glad the OP had a determined husband to send out on her behalf. I've always found that huge quantities of garlic drop my already-low bp down to my ankles (like, a bulb of roasted garlic with dinner...drool). It's an odd sensation. I'm not sure how much that would help with chronic high blood pressure, but it might be worth a shot while waiting for your husband if this happens again!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:54 AM   #29
Amy Crawford

Profile:

Frank, I agree with you that this is a problem. And it is a problem that Sharon brought on herself, no question.

You nailed it on the head. It's the culture, for lack of a better word, of the standard medical community that pushes people out the door. Maybe it is the billing manager who allows those times per visit, but nonetheless, the billing manager is part of the medical office, and the doctor is the face of the office.

Sharon didn't ask if exercising was going to correct her cardiovascular problem. She was asking if folks thought it would be OK to exercise. You gave a great explanation as to why it wasn't.

Attacking Sharon won't solve this problem, whatever the problem is and to whomever the problem belongs. She's busting her butt, trying to improve her health. The gains she's made have been great, and I'm very proud of her. Did she make a mistake? Of course she did, and she acknowledges that. I guess I'd hoped that the useful information that's so abundant on this forum, and others, wouldn't be laced with venom. Are we, as a community, trying to drive away people seeking to improve her health and knowledge? I hope not.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:00 AM   #30
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Funny, I thought I had a good doctor who talked my damn ear off about unrelated stuff. Come to find out she never told me that a fasting blood sugar of 100 was a problem. All she focused on was my cholesterol. How was I supposed to know what this meant? I even have a medical background.
Time for a new doctor. I have only met one doctor who has asked me about what I eat or how I sleep before she wrote me a script. Pretty sad state of affairs for the medical community.
How many times have we seen diabetics who take their insulin and don't eat? They probably think the only reason they need to eat is bc their stomach might get upset. Obviously no one has explained to them how insulin works and what happens if you take it without eating.
That is malpractice and it is the doctor's responsibility to educate the patient, not the patient's responsibility to ask. Many lower socioeconomic, elderly patients don't know what to ask, or that they need to ask anything. Are they to blame for the lack of care they get?