CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #21
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Steroids, Supplementation and CrossFit

Damon: Nice transformation. Your super skinny self in the bicep flex picture is funny. Now you look SOLID. Good ****.

Tobias: I guess you have to define what "natural" means to you. It's pretty much impossible to say anything we eat is totally natural unless you pulled it out of the ground yourself (and you didn't use any fertilizer or other product to help it).

Jacob: Well put in #19. As for GOMAD being a suppliment I guess you have to define what a "suppliment" is. I'd consider it any product you take that will elicit an effect in your body that could not be duplicated with just food. By THAT definition milk, as a food, would not be considered a suppliment, but of course it's all just semantics. Like I said, I DO think that that much whole milk will alter you body's chemistry as much as some of the body builder supplements, but I'd rather get my "juice" from a cow than from an industrial chemical lab via a plastic cylinder with some steroid freak on it. Ultimately everyone is going to create their own definitions and create their own arbitrary line as to what they want to take, and that's fine.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #22
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Zone and 4 or 5 WODs per week - that's it.
No "supplements" of any kind (other than a few Zone beers and Zone martinis, here and there).

Feb 2005 (?) before CF (at about 180-185# -- I got up to 195# before CF)
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...aboFeb2005.jpg
Last June in Albany (at about 162#)
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...llenge06-1.jpg

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 11-10-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #23
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:

Thanks Sean...this is what I am looking at. Nothing wrong imo of supplements but I just want to see if this is possible on a large scale. When I say no supplements or just natural I mean food...not where it grows or GModified food...I mean food in general and the manipulation of said food with straight training...

I watched Bigger, Faster, Stronger, a doc on steroid use and I highly recommend that you watch it...

They do a before and after layout for a magazine in the same day!!!!!...and most if not all of these guys are on something other than the product they are promoting.

I am just curious since we are such a supplement crazy generation now is it possible to get phenomenal results using only what is provided without additional supplementation?

For those that do post pics I appreciate it...measurements are good but a picture tells a story...

I am 6'2, weigh 225lbs, can deadlift 415lbs, Shoulder Press 200, Bench, 315,
Squat 300, this should be higher but my knees were damaged from the military, but I can say even with these stats I don't look like a fire breather, my BF is 24%...

I have tried supplements but from the movie I watched and from personal experience I am not seeing a whole lot out of them so I feel that are a waste of money...

So just curious to see if more than a few have done it completely o'natural.

Keep the posts coming...

T
Old 11-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #24
Eddie Watts

Profile:

supplements help and benefit you, but how much?
also if your diet is not dialed in you might as well save your money.
if you approach supplements as food, as you should do imo, then you won't go far wrong.
expecting to add 20 pounds in 3 months or lose 10 pounds in a week though...well you're going to be disappointed.
(unless you're massively under/over-weight already)
Old 11-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #25
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Thanks Dave. It's funny, I initially zoned, got super lean and thought this kind of sucks, I'm just a skinny ripped dude. I did a cycle of 1/2 GOMAD and it was ok but really eating right over the long run with extra calories when I'm lifting heavy has made the difference for me.

It's debatable what "all natural" is. I'd say fish oil is basically food & milk certainly is.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #26
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias W. Neal View Post

For those that do post pics I appreciate it...measurements are good but a picture tells a story...

I am 6'2, weigh 225lbs, can deadlift 415lbs, Shoulder Press 200, Bench, 315,
Squat 300, this should be higher but my knees were damaged from the military, but I can say even with these stats I don't look like a fire breather, my BF is 24%...
T-
I'm 38 y.o., 5'7" and 160#.
As far as the numbers go for me, they are as follows (my CFT has gone up over 200# in the last year - and again > NO SUPPLEMENTS).
DL = 440#
SP = 170#
BSq = 355#

Note: I have not hit those max numbers TOGETHER in a CFT, but they are my 1RM numbers in each lift.

For me, supplements would be a waste of time and money. I am not hungry and I don't need/want to pack on extra weight with muscle mass. I eat pretty much Zone-Paleo, 16 blocks per day. It seems to do the trick. I have no doubt that I will have a 1,000# Total within the next year (which would be over 600% of my body weight), just by doing WODs... and my MetCon numbers continue to improve too -- sub 4:00 Fran, ~9:30 Helen, 23+ rounds of Cindy, 430+ Tabata Something Else, etc.